Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
Delta* (excluding resorts)
JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
Marriott (excluding resorts)
Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

Aloft
Autograph Collection (resorts only)
Delta (resorts only)
Four Points
The Luxury Collection
JW Marriott (resorts only)
Le Mridien
Marriott (resorts only)
Protea
Renaissance (resorts only)
St. Regis
Sheraton **
Tribute Portfolio
W Hotels
Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

Le Mridien (only at locations with a lounge)
Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

AC Hotels
Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

Element ****
Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
SpringHill Suites
TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

Design Hotels
Edition
Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
Gaylord Hotels
Marriott Executive Apartments
Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

Boston Marriott Copley Place

Boston Marriott Long Wharf

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

JW Marriott Essex House New York City

JW Marriott New Orleans

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

JW Marriott Washington, DC

The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

Monterey Marriott

New York Marriott Marquis

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old May 14, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hotelboy
So genuine question...on an average day at home what does everyone eat for breakfast? I can’t imagine even one percent of people having a huge breakfast that they cook up. So why is it so important to have a huge spread on the hotel brand?

All of this FT complainers are the epitome of noise around the edges. Be happy with your toast and coffee
This post is nonsense in so many ways. Let me just post a few:

- I don't eat toast and coffee for breakfast. That would be a horrible start to the day from a nutrition standpoint. On most days I eat a meal with proteins to keep me full until lunch.
- A buffet is about choice, not about eating everything on the buffet. So, you're correct, no one eats the "huge breakfast" on a buffet. But they're able to get something more nutritious than "coffee and toast".
- When I'm at home, I know I'm going to be able to get lunch when I'm hungry. When I'm traveling for work, there are days when I know I won't get to eat again until 2 pm or 4 pm or whenever, and then it may be grabbing some pre-packaged item as I run to my airport gate. I do try to eat a bigger breakfast on those days, and it's nice to have that option.

Now, all that said, I will say that I can also get that breakfast somewhere other than the hotel if I want it. But if Hilton is offering me the convenience of a filling, nutritious breakfast and Marriott is not, that influences my choice of hotel.

I agree there's noise around the edges, but when Marriott promises something and then doesn't deliver on it, especially when a property chooses to ignore the rules, that's not noise. That's inconsistent, poor service.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JBord
You've covered the working traveler perspective quite well. I'll add another. If on vacation, a leisurely, luxurious breakfast can be one of the highlights of the stay. Resort properties know this quite well . . . that's why they typically offer an enticing setting (e.g., ocean view) and a broad array of high quality choices. When I book a 5* resort, the breakfast amenity is very much part of the appeal and something I absolutely take into consideration. When properties welch on the benefit, they are simply not holding up their side of the deal.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
That's inconsistent, poor service.
And a breach of the brand standards that the hotel signed up for.

I've been in a lounge for breakfast with Bill before, where he was walking around talking to everyone. Coincidentally, there was no oatmeal that morning ... which was probably a bad idea. Bill walked up to the lounge attendant and asked in a very polite way where the oatmeal was. The flustered attendant was having a hard time and said he would have some sent up. Bill told him ... I eat oatmeal every day but more importantly that's what our guests expect at every Marriott.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horace
Also, Marriott eliminated rollover nights. And except for those who did not upgrade their Chase Marriott Visa, Marriott's branded credit cards no longer provide an elite night for each $3000 of credit card spend.
Also: Marriott eliminated giving 15 elite nights for each Marriott credit card you have, and now just gives 15 elite nights once a year no matter how many (1+) Marriott credit cards you have. So for example the last 2 years I got 30 nights from having both a Chase Marriott personal and a Chase Marriott Business card, but now I just get 15 nights. I doesn't matter to me personally, because I have enough lifetime status with Marriott that I have little point in chasing annual status, but I'm sure there are others whose Marriott status got "deflated" as a result of this change.

Also, Marriott eliminated giving 10 elite nights for every "Rewarding Events" meeting you hold. It was easy to get to 50 nights with just 5 meetings and no actual stays before, perhaps for the cost of just a small handful of nights, but no longer.

So Marriott obviously went out of their way to get rid of loophole after loophole that made it easy to get to 50 or 75 nights with very few actual nights.

Last edited by sdsearch; May 14, 2019 at 2:27 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sdsearch
So Marriott obviously went out of their way to get rid of loophole after loophole that made it easy to get to 50 or 75 nights with very few actual nights.
While it's made it harder for me, I'm not sure this is a bad thing in the big picture.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Also: Marriott eliminated giving 15 elite nights for each Marriott credit card you have, and now just gives 15 elite nights once a year no matter how many (1+) Marriott credit cards you have.
And always none of those credit cards here in Europe! 😑
​​​​​
Old May 14, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

- I don't eat toast and coffee for breakfast. That would be a horrible start to the day from a nutrition standpoint. On most days I eat a meal with proteins to keep me full until lunch.
- A buffet is about choice, not about eating everything on the buffet. So, you're correct, no one eats the "huge breakfast" on a buffet. But they're able to get something more nutritious than "coffee and toast".
- When I'm at home, I know I'm going to be able to get lunch when I'm hungry. When I'm traveling for work, there are days when I know I won't get to eat again until 2 pm or 4 pm or whenever, and then it may be grabbing some pre-packaged item as I run to my airport gate. I do try to eat a bigger breakfast on those days, and it's nice to have that option.

Now, all that said, I will say that I can also get that breakfast somewhere other than the hotel if I want it. But if Hilton is offering me the convenience of a filling, nutritious breakfast and Marriott is not, that influences my choice of hotel.

I agree there's noise around the edges, but when Marriott promises something and then doesn't deliver on it, especially when a property chooses to ignore the rules, that's not noise. That's inconsistent, poor service.
This.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
And not just working travellers that needs the convenience of proper breakfast at the hotel.

Even casual traveller will appreciate the option of having proper breakfast in the hotel.

Sometimes not easy to find a restaurant that open in the morning. Especially if one does not familiar with the area.
nequine likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Just as a point of reference, My wife, 3YO, 6YO, and I stayed at the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista resort in Orlando using a 7 night cert. I am platinum. Our parking fee was waived, our resort fee was waived, we elected breakfast daily not the 1000k points. The breakfast there was incredible, best bacon ever. good selection with a few items changing daily. The breakfast was free for all 4 of us, my kid don't really eat anything so I wouldn't have liked to pay for them, glad I didn't have to. I.m excited to go back, this was the first time post merger I felt like I was treated like an elite. It was nice for a change.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by dnkywhisperer
Just as a point of reference, My wife, 3YO, 6YO, and I stayed at the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista resort in Orlando using a 7 night cert. I am platinum. Our parking fee was waived, our resort fee was waived, we elected breakfast daily not the 1000k points. The breakfast there was incredible, best bacon ever. good selection with a few items changing daily. The breakfast was free for all 4 of us, my kid don't really eat anything so I wouldn't have liked to pay for them, glad I didn't have to. I.m excited to go back, this was the first time post merger I felt like I was treated like an elite. It was nice for a change.
Yes, agree. As for the kids who dont eat anything: just give it a few years and watch them transform into voracious feeders that would put great white sharks to shame. Its a sight to behold, probably one that puts the fear of God into hoteliers...and consequently the dodgy defining of 10 or 12 year olds as adults.
kaizen7 likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I pity the road warrior who's doing all 30 Marriott brands this year. Sure, I may have different price points and amenity needs for business vs. leisure, and not every brand is in every market (!) but focusing your efforts also allows one to become familiar with the relevant regional brand standards.
You're also hitting on a key complication: it's not just 30 brands with different standards -- it's 30 brands, AND multiple regions, AND lounge vs non-lounge, AND resort exclusions. And not every brand has breakfast.
  • I count 37 potential permutations just of the breakfast-as-amenity policy. (Potential because I don't know if all the brands exist in all the possible regions.)
  • 7 brands guarantee lounge access everywhere
    • of those, 5 offer different alternative amenities in the US vs Europe.
    • There are 20 named properties that don't follow any of those rules.
    • Exactly one brand offers lounge access only outside the US.
  • There are 7 more brands where you get nothing, with no particular logic to them except for them all being legacy Marriott brands. That said, the lack of breakfast benefit at premium brands is particularly galling.
  • There are 5 brands where everyone gets breakfast, so there's no additional elite benefit.
And that's just whether breakfast exists -- whether it's reasonably good or substantial is another thing entirely.

I've been a Hyatt Diamond and Hilton Diamond at various points in the past, and I never had to think about breakfast. I just assumed it would exist, and it did. The extent to which I thought about breakfast was trying to remember which hotel it was that had a *particularly* good offering. Ditto for SPG after they added the benefit. There were a few properties that didn't follow the rules, but contacting customer service (remember customer service?) sorted it out.

This, though? This is just exhausting.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:55 am

Unhappy

This, though? This is just exhausting.[/QUOTE]

+1
Old May 17, 2019, 6:36 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
So genuine question...on an average day at home what does everyone eat for breakfast? I cant imagine even one percent of people having a huge breakfast that they cook up. So why is it so important to have a huge spread on the hotel brand?

All of this FT complainers are the epitome of noise around the edges. Be happy with your toast and coffee
I am assuming you are half serious, so I will respond in kind, and tease you with no bad intentions for entertainment purposes

You have made a name for yourself in the St.Regis Aspen. Now this post. Let's take a poll:
1. You are a troll plain and simple
2. You manage a hotel which has been hammered by Marriott because you have tried repeatedly to undercut elite benefits (including breakfast) and you are sour about it
3. You manage a low end hotel brand and you just don't understand what elite guests are looking for in a premium hotel experience, such as St.Regis
4. A combination of the above
5. I am clueless with my response to your post

So according to you, guests should eat the same thing at home and at the hotel? And according to you, all guests need to eat the single thing you offer, for example toast? Who needs to adapt to different preferences, the hotel adapting to guests preferences, or guests adapting to the hotel offerings?

I hope for your sake it's not in your plans to move from Northeast Texas to go manage a hotel in the Maldives, in Dubai, or any other top end hotel market. I would not predict a good outcome for you and your hotel in such destinations

Cheers, mate
Old May 17, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dnkywhisperer
we elected breakfast daily not the 1000k points
I would have suggested paying for the breakfast had they really given a choice of 1000k points. k means x1000, so 1000k means 1 million points! I can't imagine any breakfast worth giving up 1 million points.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:43 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
So genuine question...on an average day at home what does everyone eat for breakfast? I cant imagine even one percent of people having a huge breakfast that they cook up. So why is it so important to have a huge spread on the hotel brand?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you were actually asking an honest question. My breakfast is coffee whether I am working out in the morning in a fasted state or just trying to get on my way. When I'm working on the road I tend to do this as well (except for when we entertain customers the night before and I need bacon/eggs/potatoes to soak up the bad decisions). I know more and more people that skip breakfast or stick to a intermittent fasting schedule for various health reasons who just want a good cup of black coffee in the morning or maybe a banana.

On the other hand I believe everyone should have their choice and if this is a published benefit it should be adhered to without exception. On vacation, especially in SE Asia, I do take advantage of the hotel breakfasts at least some of the days since they are normally pretty good and typically contain local cuisine. If you have kids, I also agree a good variety lounge breakfast can save a vacation as well as possibly hundreds of dollars. If a hotel decides to make their own policy then it is no better than just jumping on hotels.com and booking whatever comes up at a good rate.

Either way, am I the only one that is just happy most people here are referring to the morning meal as breakfast and not brekkie? That word irks me for some strange reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.