Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cruisr
I have never seen so much confusion, conflicting information from those in charge and in general poor communications to the end users. They had long enough to get this right.
You must not have been following the World of Hyatt launch

Considering the new rules don't actually go into effect until Aug. 1, I'm cautiously optimistic all will be clarified by then.
itsallgood likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I saw somewhere that the required breakfast is still continental (perhaps this part is from the Starwood Lurker) and that the vouchers will be worth $10, which I assume means per eligible person per day. In the past, the SPG program defined what was required for an acceptable continental breakfast for this purpose, but of course it's very difficult to define the quality (as opposed to the included items) as a brand standard and such brand standards tend to be considered proprietary information, so it's hard to verify that a hotel is compliant.

The whole thing sounds very confusing. We will see how it works in practice.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I saw somewhere that the required breakfast is still continental (perhaps this part is from the Starwood Lurker) and that the vouchers will be worth $10, which I assume means per eligible person per day. In the past, the SPG program defined what was required for an acceptable continental breakfast for this purpose, but of course it's very difficult to define the quality (as opposed to the included items) as a brand standard and such brand standards tend to be considered proprietary information, so it's hard to verify that a hotel is compliant.

I thought the SPG representative said the $10 voucher would be at limited-service properties. But regardless, yes. I think we will see plenty of reports of properties providing toast, sugary juice and coffee as the "breakfast offering" for eligible elites. If we're lucky, maybe croissants or muffins.

To make it worse, if Gary Leff is right and you decline breakfast at check-in then you only get 1,000 points once, regardless of whether you're on a multi-day stay. That's a significant downgrade. Presently, legacy Marriott gives you a choice of points or breakfast each day the lounge is closed or each day of your stay at a property without a lounge. Plus, right now, you still get check-in bonus points on top of breakfast at those penalties.

So, conservatively, Marriott is taking away 1,500 points per 1-day stay at a property with a closed lounge or no lounge at all.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many limited service brands give free breakfast to everyone: element, RI, TPS, and others.

The $10 voucher might apply to aloft, where it enables you to buy a lot in their market IME. In fact, IIRC a couple years ago (no recent experience), aloft rate plans including breakfast gave a credit for about $6 or $7, which meant a hot breakfast sandwich, a piece of fruit, and a beverage, for instance. It seemed very reasonable given their breakfast setup and was more than I needed or wanted. YMMV.

Legacy Starwood were required to offer some alternative per day when lounges were temporarily closed at breakfast. Some properties were unaware of the rule IME, but when pushed, the offer was more than fair and often somewhat negotiable.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

This is sooooooooooooo Marriott. From late checkouts options to upgrade possibilities to cancellation policies (the exact time) and more, write them as vague as possible so everyone is confused and hard line properties have an out when they say "sorry, it ain't happening". I used to think they hired english poor majors, now I believe the opposite is true on purpose...
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The 1000 point exception is pretty ludicrous. Additionally, some properties abuse the continental breakfast exception. Having spent several years of my life on the "Continent," a normal continental breakfast includes fruit, yogurt, coffee, juice, fresh baked goods, cereals, as well as a selection of meats, cheese, and smoked fish. In contrast, an English breakfast includes stewed tomatoes, beans, and mushrooms. I like English breakfasts but that's not my expectation with the continental breakfast -- just a selection of meats, cheese, and smoked fish in addition to fresh baked goods
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by joshua362
This is sooooooooooooo Marriott. From late checkouts options to upgrade possibilities to cancellation policies (the exact time) and more, write them as vague as possible so everyone is confused and hard line properties have an out when they say "sorry, it ain't happening". I used to think they hired english poor majors, now I believe the opposite is true on purpose...
Well, we haven't seen the new terms and conditions because Marriott hasn't released them.

But I think the bigger issue is there will be more elites eligible for benefits like an upgrade, which means availability -- at least at the big properties and resorts during peak times -- will be limited. This is especially the case if the pecking order for upgrades isn't crystal clear.

For example, should a platinum get a suite if they get to the front desk at 4:01 p.m. ahead of the platinum premier or platinum premier ambassador, who checked in online but won't arrive until 5 p.m.? Right now, it would seem that all three levels of platinum will be competing against each other.
kalo93406 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Well, we haven't seen the new terms and conditions because Marriott hasn't released them.

But I think the bigger issue is there will be more elites eligible for benefits like an upgrade, which means availability -- at least at the big properties and resorts during peak times -- will be limited. This is especially the case if the pecking order for upgrades isn't crystal clear.

For example, should a platinum get a suite if they get to the front desk at 4:01 p.m. ahead of the platinum premier or platinum premier ambassador, who checked in online but won't arrive until 5 p.m.? Right now, it would seem that all three levels of platinum will be competing against each other.
Yes, you are right. I (unclearly) was referring to Marriott's EXISTING Clusterbuck (you should get that one) when it comes to any T &C's such as what EXACT time is a 2 day cancel effective beyond a shadow of a doubt. They are the masters at this...
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
There is no definite answer from Marriott on this scenario: Will a hotel in a brand that requires breakast or requires lounges as part of its brand standard but doesn't have a lounge (or closes the lounge) provide breakfast or will it be incumbent upon the guest to choose between breakfast and points at check-in?
Fairfield is known a Marriott brand with free breakfast for all.

Except that there's a Fairfield in Anaheim that has no free breakfast at all. (Why it's called a Fairfield, given that, I don't know.) You have to figure that out yourself, and you get no compensation for it. I've never seen a Marriott T&C that explained that such a Fairfield exists and what should happen there. So I wouldn't count on the new program explaining it 100.000% fully either .
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: StarAlliance Gold, 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Horace
Gary Leff simply described a combination of what's on Members.Marriott.com and today's SPG benefits.

It remains to be seen exactly what we'll get at Courtyard, AC Hotels, MOXY, and Protea. Will there be a voucher that covers a choice of breakfast items, a choice of juice, good coffee, and a gratuity? Will "continental" mean just cold food, or will hotels offer more, just as most full-service hotels offer more? What percentage of hotels that have not previously provided elite breakfast see this as a great opportunity to attract Platinum guests? What percentage will see this an attack on their P&L, and will try to minimize the cost of what they provide?
I have stayed with a few Courtyards this year (Have avoided them the past 5) and it seems 4 out of the 5 rolled out a soft introduction to the breakfast benefit. The courtyards all had a menu, and a la carte pricing, I had to ask the front desk how it worked exactly since it was not very clear. Basically you got one entree item (eggs, cereal ..) and one drink item (Coffee, Juice ....). My guess is it will be something along these lines, with a maximum spend.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
We were discussing it in the rumors thread, but most Courtyards cannot handle more than a few people at a time for breakfast. When the Bistros went in, they repurposed a lot of the space that used to belong to the buffet area. They also have low staffing and very minimal kitchen space, so service is slow even when you're the only person ordering.

With the limited menu and high prices, a $10.00 voucher isn't going to get you much anyways. As far as points go, 1,000 points is going to worth a whole lot less under the new program. I generally equate a penny a point, but under the new setup, a point will be worth maybe 0.007 or so. 1,000 points is seven bucks.

Maybe Courtyards could hand out McDonaldland Gift Certificates instead.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by catocony
We were discussing it in the rumors thread, but most Courtyards cannot handle more than a few people at a time for breakfast. When the Bistros went in, they repurposed a lot of the space that used to belong to the buffet area. They also have low staffing and very minimal kitchen space, so service is slow even when you're the only person ordering.

With the limited menu and high prices, a $10.00 voucher isn't going to get you much anyways. As far as points go, 1,000 points is going to worth a whole lot less under the new program. I generally equate a penny a point, but under the new setup, a point will be worth maybe 0.007 or so. 1,000 points is seven bucks.

Maybe Courtyards could hand out McDonaldland Gift Certificates instead.
That is not bad actually. I stayed at CY Maui a few times. There’s a McD nearby with decent Hawaiian breakfast.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mediator

That is not bad actually. I stayed at CY Maui a few times. There’s a McD nearby with decent Hawaiian breakfast.
I'd certainly take a McD's sausage and egg sandwich over most of the CY breakfast menu items!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Let's compare the current Platinum arrival gift at Courtyard and AC Hotels to the Platinum arrival gift at Four Points and Aloft.

Courtyard and AC Hotels (U.S & Canada):
400 Rewards points AND a Food or Beverage Amenity

Courtyard and AC Hotels (outside U.S & Canada):
250 Rewards points AND a Food or Beverage Amenity

Four Points (SPG) and Aloft (SPG):
250 Starpoints (equivalent to 750 Rewards points) OR Local Gift OR daily Continental Breakfast

The "Food or Beverage Amenity" at Courtyard properties in the U.S. is usually an item from the pantry-market near the front desk, with restrictions (such as excluding 750ml bottles of wine).

In August, the current arrival gift at these four chains will be replaced by new arrival gift options. It's likely the four similarly-positioned chains will have the same options, modeled after what SPG does currently. The number of points could be different, although I would like to think the option will not be less than 750 points.

Daily Continental Breakfast would be one of the arrival gift options. There would be no other Platinum arrival gift if the guest chooses breakfast, unless the individual property wants to be more generous.

I wouldn't worry about the ability of Courtyard Bistros to handle the Platinum guests. Most guests on any given night are not Platinum. Some Platinum guests already eat breakfast at the Bistro, either as part of the room rate (negotiated rate or public breakfast-inclusive rate) or because they're paying for breakfast. Most importantly, the Platinum guests will not all show up for breakfast in the same minute. Capacity issues can me mitigated with grab-and-go options that guests can take to their rooms or their cars.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I stay at Courtyard and RI mostly. RI is great, but only 5 points/dollar, so i try and stay at CY as much as I can.

Giving up my welcome bonus is a no brainer as I typically stay 10-30 nights, so having a F&B voucher daily for 3-4 weeks vs 750 or 1000 points is just silly to pick the points

I looked at the menu in the lobby today and $10 is probably bare minimum to get something decent at the Bistro

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.