Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: LH FTL
Thanks, Horace. Than indeed that means a bit of an improvement for redemptions in resorts! Until now you wouldnt get lounge nor breakfast. Now you can chose breakfast.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Staying at a Courtyard that is, apparently, starting breakfast - instead of a pantry selection - a bit early:

Food choice (1pp): Scramble with bacon and fruit; Bistro breakfast sandwich; Classic Oatmeal and Banana; Toasted bagel and yogurt.

Drink choice (1pp): OJ, bottled water, Tall drip coffee, milk. (I suspect you could substitute tea)

The check-in was a bit confusing as the voucher was thrust at me when I asked about a platinum amenity (thinking about the pantry). At first the clerk thought I was asking for an upgrade, retorting "We are FULL!" I'd prefer $10 for non-breakfast once points on incidentals starts, but seems not. I wouldn't opt for this over 500 welcome points if it's truly one or the other.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
By the way, when is this rolled out for the "not early" hotels? August 1?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The check-in was a bit confusing as the voucher was thrust at me when I asked about a platinum amenity (thinking about the pantry). At first the clerk thought I was asking for an upgrade, retorting "We are FULL!" I'd prefer $10 for non-breakfast once points on incidentals starts, but seems not. I wouldn't opt for this over 500 welcome points if it's truly one or the other.
Maybe you should have asked for the "courteous service" option.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stvr
By the way, when is this rolled out for the "not early" hotels? August 1?
Why August 1?

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

There never a published August 1 date. It was simply that they used to say "in August", and the "worst case" assumption of what that might mean was August 1. But now that there is an official date, it should replace all assumptions.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Yes. August 18th.

Since I posted, I spoke with the manager on the way out, who explained that my breakfast voucher was a property-specific amenity, not related to the upcoming benefit change itself.

Took a long time for the breakfast sandwich to arrive, but when it did I realized that they make each from scratch as ordered. It was a lot of food!
Their drinks and dinner options looked pretty interesting, once incidentals points-earning gets underway.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Yes. August 18th.

Since I posted, I spoke with the manager on the way out, who explained that my breakfast voucher was a property-specific amenity, not related to the upcoming benefit change itself.

Took a long time for the breakfast sandwich to arrive, but when it did I realized that they make each from scratch as ordered. It was a lot of food!
Their drinks and dinner options looked pretty interesting, once incidentals points-earning gets underway.
Do you know if they make the scramble from scratch, too? I feared when you wrote "scramble with bacon and fruit" that it's pre-combined on a plate (and just heated up to order). But if they make it from scratch, can they substitutions if someone for example doesn't want the bacon or doesn't want the fruit?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Anyone staying at a resort in the next week which hasn't historically offered complimentary breakfast to 50+ night elites, please feel free to check if they are even aware of the change and if so what breakfast will be offered from 8/18..
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Anyone staying at a resort in the next week which hasn't historically offered complimentary breakfast to 50+ night elites, please feel free to check if they are even aware of the change and if so what breakfast will be offered from 8/18..
I'm at the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort & Spa. Starting 8/18, they will provide two, full breakfasts per room -- complimentary.
jtwiz likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Do you know if they make the scramble from scratch, too? I feared when you wrote "scramble with bacon and fruit" that it's pre-combined on a plate (and just heated up to order). But if they make it from scratch, can they substitutions if someone for example doesn't want the bacon or doesn't want the fruit?
I'm fairly certain that the scramble would be made from scratch as well; I'm not so sure about substitutions, unfortunately. I didn't realize until I got back to my room that the breakfast sandwich came with a fruit cup, most of which I was unable to eat.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Courtyard

According this link :

https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...cess_Final.pdf

you get free breakfast in courtyards in europe, and not 10USD daily credit.

Its all very confusing,...USA or Europe.---Resort or not...Lounge or not......

Last edited by northernstar84; Aug 13, 2018 at 3:14 am
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by northernstar84
According this link :

Take another look at the chart, which is about lounge access for Platinum Elite members (+ 1 guest), not about Welcome Gifts or breakfast in general.

For Courtyard, the chart applies to "Courtyard (Hotels with a lounge)" but not to those that don't have one.

In Europe, if the Courtyard has a lounge, and if that lounge is closed, only then is the alternative for the Platinum Elite + 1 guest to receive breakfast in the restaurant.

The Platinum Elite Welcome Gift Options chart is separate. That's where "$10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest, daily" at Courtyard is documented.

Yes, it's confusing.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
lounge

but is there any courtyard in europe with a lounge????
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
but is there any courtyard in europe with a lounge????
Apparently, yes.

At the vast majority of Courtyard hotels, the only Platinum breakfast benefit will be to apply the new Platinum Welcome Gift option of "$10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest, daily" toward the cost of breakfast.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According this link :

The other thing that's confusing is to what degree it will be exceed by which individual properties.

Several years ago, I stayed a Courtyard on the western coast of Puerto Rico, and it had a restaurant rather than a bistro, and they gave me a continental breakfast buffet free as a Plat.

But notice that the rules never mentioned in the past what would happen with a Courtyard with a full restaurant, and the new rules don't either. I have no idea how many Courtyards have full restaurants, I just know that one did.

So I presume the new rules, just like the old ones, are a minimum, and a property for whom it's simpler to do so may give you more. But you won't likely know until you get there. And it's only likely to happen occasionally, so you shouldn't count on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.