Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 9, 22, 1:16 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Horace
Wiki Link
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice. Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
Delta* (excluding resorts)
JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
Marriott (excluding resorts)
Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

Aloft
Autograph Collection (resorts only)
Delta (resorts only)
Four Points
The Luxury Collection
JW Marriott (resorts only)
Le Mridien
Marriott (resorts only)
Protea
Renaissance (resorts only)
St. Regis
Sheraton **
Tribute Portfolio
W Hotels
Westin **
** Sheraton Vacation Club and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Sheraton and Westin hotels

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

Le Mridien (only at locations with a lounge)
Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

AC Hotels
Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

Element ****
Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
Residence Inn
SpringHill Suites
TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

Design Hotels
Edition
Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
Gaylord Hotels
Marriott Executive Apartments
Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 8, 22, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by lovefly88 View Post
As it would be an international call, I haven’t done this yet.
So you haven't even asked them yet? You're asking about a hypothetical problem? The lurkers aren't really like your personal assistant.
Old Sep 10, 22, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lovefly88 View Post
As it would be an international call, I havent done this yet.
There's now this thing called VOIP . . . .
Old Sep 10, 22, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee (Post # 1049) View Post
What did the hotel say when you called and asked them?
Originally Posted by lovefly88 (Post # 1050) View Post
As it would be an international call, I havent done this yet.
Originally Posted by Kacee (Post # 1052) View Post
There's now this thing called VOIP . . . .
Background for those, like me , who have never used it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_IP

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sess...ation_Protocol

Perhaps there is a FlyerTalk forum and thread which explains exactly how to make such an international call via Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP).

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Sep 11, 22 at 3:04 am
Old Sep 10, 22, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
Background for those, like me , who have never used it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_IP

Perhaps there is a FlyerTalk forum and thread which explains exactly how to make such an international call via Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP).
At the risk of heading way OT, all you have to do is download one of the many apps.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 11, 22, 6:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, IHG Diamond, Omni Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I personally agree with you but this battle has already been lost. They could offer a "continental buffet" and Marriott would deem it compliant. But I don't believe a $10 credit is compliant (as even Wailea Beach Resort now admits, and will pay the $100 if a guest complains hard enough).
Muerz - did you contest the charge while at the hotel or afterwards with Marriott customer service? I ask b/c this happened to me recently at a Westin in the NY-tri state area. I spoke to the on-site manager and he was adamant that his hotel is in compliance with the Marriott policy and I strongly disagreed and told him I'd take it up with Marriott managmenet. Marriott Bonvoy Lurker it would be great if you can comment on this topic.

And for what it's worth, the food was terrible and it cost $6 for coffee and $6 for OJ.
Old Sep 12, 22, 4:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Originally Posted by drod View Post
Muerz - did you contest the charge while at the hotel or afterwards with Marriott customer service? I ask b/c this happened to me recently at a Westin in the NY-tri state area. I spoke to the on-site manager and he was adamant that his hotel is in compliance with the Marriott policy and I strongly disagreed and told him I'd take it up with Marriott managmenet. Marriott Bonvoy Lurker it would be great if you can comment on this topic.

And for what it's worth, the food was terrible and it cost $6 for coffee and $6 for OJ.
No, I just told them on checkout that their breakfast situation is non-compliant and the woman working the front desk just said ooh - this is what weve always done and thats when I knew it would not matter discussing it any further. I decided to write to Marriott customer service and to local management / TripAdvisor once I got back home and wouldnt bother during my vacation.
Old Sep 13, 22, 3:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, IHG Diamond, Omni Platinum
Originally Posted by Muerz View Post
No, I just told them on checkout that their breakfast situation is non-compliant and the woman working the front desk just said ooh - this is what weve always done and thats when I knew it would not matter discussing it any further. I decided to write to Marriott customer service and to local management / TripAdvisor once I got back home and wouldnt bother during my vacation.
That's basically how my conversation went. The manager also said that his hotel is regularly audited by Marriott and has been found to be in compliance. I disagree and also plan to write to customer service. Did you receive a favorable response back from CS?
Old Sep 15, 22, 6:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Just got back from Courtyard Venice Airport, Italy on a paid stay. As a Platinum member I expected free breakfast. The check in person said as the restaurant is owned by a third party, no complimentary breakfast. They also didn't mention the $10 credit. Did I get Bonvoyed?
Old Sep 15, 22, 3:03 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by happychic View Post
Just got back from Courtyard Venice Airport, Italy on a paid stay. As a Platinum member I expected free breakfast. The check in person said as the restaurant is owned by a third party, no complimentary breakfast. They also didn't mention the $10 credit. Did I get Bonvoyed?
No free breakfast unless the CY had a lounge, but 10€ per person per night was appropriate for F&B credit. Partially bonvOYed.

Hope you claimed your Guest Compensation prior to checkout.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 11:19 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, AA*EXP, VA-Plat, Marriott*LTPP, Hyatt*Globalist That's*Enough
Titanium Elite. Two rooms (one for four nights, one for one) at a W.

hotel said I dont get a breakfast benefit on the second auxiliary room.

is that right?
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by shuuy View Post
Titanium Elite. Two rooms (one for four nights, one for one) at a W.

hotel said I dont get a breakfast benefit on the second auxiliary room.

is that right?
Yes, it's right.

Daily breakfast (as a welcome gift choice for Platinum Elite and above) at W hotels, most other Starwood legacy brands, and resorts of six Marriott legacy brands is for the elite member plus one other guest sharing the same room. Additional rooms do not get the breakfast benefit. Additional guests in the same room also don't get daily breakfast.

Properties can be more generous, but the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms Conditions are consistent with the paragraph above.
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
That is why it can be wise to have a second person with status among one's colleagues or family, and have the second room booked and paid for in their name with their form of payment.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Sep 26, 22, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just completed a stay at Courtyard Detroit Downtown.

I requested $10 F&B credit as my welcome amenity. They said they do not offer this because the restaurant is not part of the hotel.

Am I eligible for $50 elite benefit guarantee since they did not provide my requested welcome amenity?
Old Sep 26, 22, 11:20 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by catbox9 View Post
Just completed a stay at Courtyard Detroit Downtown. I requested $10 F&B credit as my welcome amenity. They said they do not offer this because the restaurant is not part of the hotel. Am I eligible for $50 elite benefit guarantee since they did not provide my requested welcome amenity?
Yes. They even sell rooms that include breakfast. Expect a battle, though.

Stay for Breakfast rate, includes breakfast for 2 adults and children 12 and under

Additional Information

• Commissionable Rate
  • Stay for Breakfast rate
  • - Includes breakfast in IHOP restaurant for up to 2 adults
  • and children 12 years old and under registered in the same
  • room.
  • - Rate requires a Friday or Saturday night stay.

Old Sep 26, 22, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
Yes. They even sell rooms that include breakfast. Expect a battle, though.
I'll send a complaint now. Thanks
margarita girl likes this.

Search this Thread