Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Can someone explain how is option 1 different from old policy? It looks like they can force 1000 points on you and not give you breakfast on weekend when lounge is closed.

I've had that happened at a NYC Marriott and was royally pissed.
Benefit type 1 in my chart is essentially the same as the old lounge/breakfast benefit for five Marriott legacy full-service brands, except that the welcome gift has increased from 500 points (at old Platinum Elite, the 75-night elite tier) to 1000 points (at new Platinum Elite, the 50-night elite tier) for those five brands. As before, just a few hotels have opted out of weekend breakfast (20 hotel identified in the current terms and conditions), providing 1000 points per day instead.

Benefit type 2 is essentially the old SPG Platinum breakfast benefit, where daily breakfast is a welcome gift option. Previously excluded Marriott legacy full-service resorts have joined the list.

Benefit type 3 is essentially the old SPG lounge benefit.

Benefit type 4 is a significant improvement to the previous welcome gift for these three brands, but can't really be considered a true breakfast benefit.

Type 5 and Type 6 are business-as-usual, unchanged from before August 18.

In other words, things aren't significantly different than before, but there have been some improvements.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by dayone
Hilton and Hyatt seem to handle the elite breakfast benefit more simply and elegantly.

Marriott should develop a universal, easy-to-understand policy, prohibit exceptions, and notify the property owners that they have until Jan. 1. 2020 to implement it.

Heck, I'd be fine it the policy were that only the member (one person) gets a full breakfast at all properties where breakfast is not provided to all guests.
Many Hilton and DoubleTree brand properties involve a co-payment of roughly $10 for a full breakfast (upcharge from continental); granted that one gets the amenity points also.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Got a total different experience today...
Checked in a Marriott in Europe (with lounge that is open).

they proposed to choose as welcome gift :
- 1000 points
or 10USD per stay

Where this is in the T&C?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by ckendall
Just checked in to a Four Points and was told that since the merger the breakfast conditions have changed. It used to be (as a plat) I could get continental breakfast for my entire stay. Now I was told in no uncertain terms that the breakfast benefit was for a full breakfast (better than before) but only for one day. I do not recall hearing this any time during the discussion of how Marriott was changing things.

Is this true? Is this true everywhere? If so I will have to start booking seven one day stays or seek another hotel.
As a Platinum Elite guest at a Four Points hotel, your welcome gift choices are "500 Points per stay or amenity or breakfast in restaurant per day for Member +1.

Your hotel failed to provide the Platinum welcome gift option of your choice. That's a service failure. "If the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift is not offered at time of arrival, compensation applies."

You are still at the hotel. You are entitled to $50 USD compensation, but you must ask for it. Don't wait until after you check out because that would be too late.

Hold them to it. The compensation is there so that hotels provide guaranteed Elite benefits consistently and properly.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi
C17PSGR, Kacee and frenchft like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by frenchft
Got a total different experience today...
Checked in a Marriott in Europe (with lounge that is open).

they proposed to choose as welcome gift :
- 1000 points
or 10USD per stay

Where this is in the T&C?
By "Marriott," I assume you mean a hotel branded as a Marriott Hotel, not one of Marriott International's other 28 brands in the loyalty program.

At Marriott Hotels, the Platinum Elite welcome gift and the Platinum Elite lounge/breakfast benefit are two different things. You get both.

In the US, Canada and Europe, you have a choice of two different welcome gifts: 1,000 points or a $10 USD F&B credit. It's summarized on a table: https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...ift_Final2.pdf

You also get daily breakfast for member + 1, in the lounge if there is one and it's open, or otherwise in the restaurant. It's summarized on a table: https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...cess_Final.pdf

If the hotel failed regarding the lounge/breakfast benefit, you deserve compensation: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi
frenchft likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by Horace
By "Marriott," I assume you mean a hotel branded as a Marriott Hotel, not one of Marriott International's other 28 brands in the loyalty program.

At Marriott Hotels, the Platinum Elite welcome gift and the Platinum Elite lounge/breakfast benefit are two different things. You get both.

In the US, Canada and Europe, you have a choice of two different welcome gifts: 1,000 points or a $10 USD F&B credit. It's summarized on a table: https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...ift_Final2.pdf

You also get daily breakfast for member + 1, in the lounge if t
here is one and it's open, or otherwise in the restaurant. It's summarized on a table: https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...cess_Final.pdf

If the hotel failed regarding the lounge/breakfast benefit, you deserve compensation: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi
Got it now, the 10USD is per stay and not per night (as in CY)...
Need to get a MBA to follow the benefits, it's a full time job now ))
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
definitions needed

In this breakfast chart FAQ ? Marriott Members the terms "amenity" and "F&B amenity" are used? What is the difference between the two? Example?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
In this breakfast chart FAQ ? Marriott Members the terms "amenity" and "F&B amenity" are used? What is the difference between the two? Example?
at SPG in the past, I have seen some F&B amenities to be : cakes, wine, champagne, macarons, etc
and amenities : local gift (can be everything, depending of the property and the country).
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by frenchft
at SPG in the past, I have seen some F&B amenities to be : cakes, wine, champagne, macarons, etc
and amenities : local gift (can be everything, depending of the property and the country).
Thx. Pretty wide open.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by Horace
As a Platinum Elite guest at a Four Points hotel, your welcome gift choices are "500 Points per stay or amenity or breakfast in restaurant per day for Member +1.

Your hotel failed to provide the Platinum welcome gift option of your choice. That's a service failure. "If the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift is not offered at time of arrival, compensation applies."

You are still at the hotel. You are entitled to $50 USD compensation, but you must ask for it. Don't wait until after you check out because that would be too late.

Hold them to it. The compensation is there so that hotels provide guaranteed Elite benefits consistently and properly.

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi
Who do I contact to get compensation? Do I talk to the front desk or someone at Marriott HQ?

Thanks
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by ckendall
Who do I contact to get compensation? Do I talk to the front desk or someone at Marriott HQ?

Thanks
the front desk before you leave. Dont be surprised if they say, I'm sorry here are your coupons. Either way is a win ... for you and future guests
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
1) Thank you to everyone populating this thread and the helpful table;

2) Can someone, please, anyone with any sort of contact at Marriott Rewards send them a link to this thread. I find it absolutely moronic that this is what determining your elite benefits has become. No reasonable executive could think that this matrix of complexity provides any value (to Marriott, its hotel owners or to the consumer). You're setting up everyone for disappointment and failure.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:42 am

I wish they would give a option to eat in the restaurant! I don't think the food in the m lounge/concierge is as good as the restaurant! It also blows my mind for how much you spend on hotels these days breakfast isn't included. I travel for work so my company pays and I don't think twice about it but I think it should be included!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:48 am

It would also be nice if on the website Marriott would let you know if the lounge is a M Lounge or Concierge Lounge and the hours. I have been to some where they are 24/7 and some that are not. I have also been to some where the concierge lounge is just open Sunday-Thursday.

Also be nice to know about Breakfast. Charleston South Carolina on Saturday and Sunday mornings gave the Platinum Elite Members Continental breakfast in the restaurant which was really good! I wish they could post something like that on the website! To me that is a huge selling pont!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:37 am

Do it before leaving.
From experience some properties will do everything not to fix this before check out and will not do anything later mentioning this T&C...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.