Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nologic
Unless you want to micro manage what card you use for different types of spends, is there any other card that gives 1.5x points convertible into 1.5 miles/$ spend on everyday purchases?

For example, I can pay my rent with a credit card, and taxes...that costs about 2%, but I seek to redeem on business and first class international travel at 4-6+ cents per dollar.

SPG offered 1.25 miles/$ with the 25% transfer bonus. But that's now gone,

At a flat 1.5x to MR, which has a large number of airline partners, is there any card that approaches this benefit?
the amex blue business plus gives 2% MR back on first $25k spend each year across all categories.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UR, MR
Holy Shniekeys... is Marriott / SPG the New Worst Card To Have?

Each 1 of my SPG points used to be worth 3 MR points.

I could transfer 1 MR point to 1.5 Aeromexico points, and so I was saving my SPG points to get a ton of Aeromexico miles (1 SPG = 4.5 Aeromexico points). And it only cost 14,500 Aeromexico points to fly from San Diego (Tijuana) to almost anywhere in Mexico, with much availability. Meaning I'd only have to spend $3,222 for a free one way ticket to almost anywhere in Mexico.

Now I see I can transfer Marriott points to Aeromexico (and a ton of other partners) at a 3:1 ratio (meaning 30,000 Marriott points = 10,000 Aeromexico points, or any other airline point program).

I was assuming I'd earn 3 Marriott points for each, though I've only been earning 2.1x, on my most recent statement... Meaning instead of having to spend $3,222 for a one way Aeromexico ticket, I now have to spend $20,714 for each one way ticket (14,500 Aeromexico points).

Hollllllllly schniekeys.... They should make the new SPG logo mr. potato head, on fire, cause that's how fast I'm gonna drop this card.

Is there any reason to keep the SPG, for airline redemptions?

(NOTE: I'm not sure you could ever transfer SPG points to AMEX, though I always assumed you could with the reverse ratio (1:3). Even if it wasn't possible before, doesn't SPG pretty much suck now, for airlines redemptions? 3:1 conversion ratio is terrible, for all airlines.)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Starpoints to Aeromexico was a 1:1 transfer, based on this older article in Forbes... plus the 5000point bonus if you transferred 20k Starpoints.

With the new program, it'll be 3:1, and a bonus of 5000 airline points/miles every 60k Marriott points you transfer... so no change to the amount of Starpoints required compared to the old program since 1 Starpoint = 3 points..

Are you sure your original calculations were correct?

14,500 Aeromexico points = 14,500 Starpoints = $14,500 spend on the old SPG card, since it was $1 per Starpoint unless that spend was at a hotel.

As pointed out by @stromile below, you weren't able to transfer SPG Starpoints to Amex Membership Rewards Points before.. .it was a one way transfer from AMEX to SPG at 3:1.

In the new program, to get 14,500 Aeromexico points, you'd need 43,500 Marriott points, which means $21,750 spend, if your spend doesn't include bonus points.

14,500 Aeromexico points = 43,500 Marriott Points = $21,750 spend on new SPG card at 2pts/$1.
stromile likes this.

Last edited by Jebby_ca; Sep 25, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
SPG to MR (the amex MR, not the marriott MR) was not an available transfer pre-merger (at least, the ~year or two immediately preceding the merger—no idea if it was available in the days of old). it was a one way transfer only, MR to SPG.

so you would have had to use the SPG 1:1 ratio, with the 5k bonus per 20k starpoints, for 1.25:1 optimal ratio (with some breakage when your target number is inevitably not a 25k increment). that puts you at ballpark $12k spend to hit the 14500 miles pre-merger.
Jebby_ca likes this.

Last edited by stromile; Sep 25, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
I think most would agree !00% but to make sure I get to the 30 transactions a month on the EDP I use the card every morning for my coffee at Starbucks. In the grand scheme of things, I can deal with loosing the 85 additional bonus points I would get using the CSR for those charges vs using the EDP. ($2.82 x 20 days x 1.5 points difference = 85 points) I would never put a larger dining charge on the EDP over the CSR but I have been known to put it on my Hilton Honors Ascend card until I achieve the $15k spend for a free night.
I used to just pay my cable bill on-line. $0.01, $0.02, $0.03....
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Starpoints to Aeromexico was a 1:1 transfer, based on this older article in Forbes... plus the 5000point bonus if you transferred 20k Starpoints.

With the new program, it'll be 3:1, and a bonus of 5000 airline points/miles every 60k Marriott points you transfer... so no change to the amount of Starpoints required compared to the old program since 1 Starpoint = 3 points..

Are you sure your original calculations were correct?

14,500 Aeromexico points = 14,500 Starpoints = $14,500 spend on the old SPG card, since it was $1 per Starpoint unless that spend was at a hotel.

As pointed out by @stromile below, you weren't able to transfer SPG Starpoints to Amex Membership Rewards Points before.. .it was a one way transfer from AMEX to SPG at 3:1.

In the new program, to get 14,500 Aeromexico points, you'd need 43,500 Marriott points, which means $21,750 spend, if your spend doesn't include bonus points.

14,500 Aeromexico points = 43,500 Marriott Points = $21,750 spend on new SPG card at 2pts/$1.
Thanks Jebby,

Which card in your opinion is the best alternative to the SPG, nowadays?

Also, I have about $30,000 in credit line between my personal and business SPG. Can I move that credit to my Amex Everyday card before I close both CC's?
Am wondering if I can move that chunk of credit somewhere, so as not to lose it. Definitely closing the personal SPG... debating on keeping the business one open, but it seems pointless as I've moved spend to the 2% Cashback Spark card.

Last edited by sikorloa; Sep 30, 2018 at 2:57 pm
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sikorloa
Definitely closing the personal SPG... debating on keeping the business one open, but it seems pointless as I've moved spend to the 2% Cashback Spark card.
The only reasons to keep either SPG card is for the annual free night and the age of the account. My SPG account has been open longer than any other credit card.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
The only reasons to keep either SPG card is for the annual free night and the age of the account.
Not the only reasons. SPG Amex is still good for spend at Marriott/SPG properties at 6x per.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not the only reasons. SPG Amex is still good for spend at Marriott/SPG properties at 6x per.
It really depends... csr earns 3x ur which is worth ~4.5c/$ in my book. 6 Marriott is worth ~4.2-4.8c/$ so in some cases I'd seriously consider the csr. Depends on how many Marriott points I had at the time and if I was trying to top up for another reservation or not. UR is way more flexible to me than Marriott since I can use the portal at a pretty fixed 1.5cpp.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Angry

Was on the phone the other day with Amex to cancel my legacy SPG card.

They tried to sell me on “but you’re earning more points”. (6 vs 2 per $ at Marriott and 3 vs 1 for other spend).
Tried really hard to explain the conversion rates but they wouldn’t have any of it.

Scummy for misrepresenting the truth.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy
Was on the phone the other day with Amex to cancel my legacy SPG card.

They tried to sell me on “but you’re earning more points”. (6 vs 2 per $ at Marriott and 3 vs 1 for other spend).
Tried really hard to explain the conversion rates but they wouldn’t have any of it.

Scummy for misrepresenting the truth.
In my opinion it just became the worst credit card to own.

Unless your job pays for your stay at Marriott or SPG properties, and reimburses you, then yes, it's great. Otherwise its sh**.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
In my opinion it just became the worst credit card to own.

Unless your job pays for your stay at Marriott or SPG properties, and reimburses you, then yes, it's great. Otherwise its sh**.
I've held the card for a very long time and was always a big cheerleader for it. Sure it is now a "sock drawer" card but I think your comment is untrue! For most the annual fee will pay for itself with the free night benefit. Would I put spend outside of MR/SPG on it like I used to in the past? NO but it is definitely not sh**!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:59 am

yeah, keeping mine for the free night, AmEx Offers and the extended warranty features. won't get much spending anymore though, unfortunately.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
I've held the card for a very long time and was always a big cheerleader for it. Sure it is now a "sock drawer" card but I think your comment is untrue! For most the annual fee will pay for itself with the free night benefit. Would I put spend outside of MR/SPG on it like I used to in the past? NO but it is definitely not sh**!
Ah I see - since you can use that free night in any hotel worldwide correct? So even if the hotel costs $1000 a night, you can still stay a night there free?

Also, how do you redeem the free nights? When you book does it automatically deduct, or do you have to specially request it?

Do the free nights add up if you don't use them?

Edit: Data point - called in 10/24/18 to cancel personal SPG that I've had open since 2015. They offered $75 statement credit after $2k spend, or 20,000 starpoints after $2k spend, but I declined. I still have the business SPG account open however.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:50 pm

Ah I see - since you can use that free night in any hotel worldwide correct? So even if the hotel costs $1000 a night, you can still stay a night there free?

Also, how do you redeem the free nights? When you book does it automatically deduct, or do you have to specially request it?

Also, do the free nights add up if you don't use them?
It's not any hotel. You get a free night good at a hotel priced 35,000 points or fewer (or 50,000 points if you hold the luxury card). It does not roll over if unused. https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...eferred-guest/ (Someone else can respond about how to redeem it. MR screwed me on this certificate, so I haven't received one to try.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.