Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Thanks everyone. This is helpful and reassuring that I wasn't too far off in my choice (UR cards).
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond
Point comparison calculator

Just discovered this site. Preliminary testing it seems accurate. I searched and did not see it discussed anywhere on the forums.
I'll be playing around with the numbers a bit to come up with a new strategy for cards. Site seems pretty comprehensive on point calculations and has a handy comparison tool where you can create different credit card portfolios, mixing and matching cards to determine optimum return.

https://www.thepointcalculator.com
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I just got a 100K bonus offer for upgrading from regular SPG Amex to Luxury if I spend $5000 USD in next 3 months. I took it. Although I deeply dislike the devaluation of the spending, I will still use this card. Amex some years has given me good retention bonuses (this year I think was 10,000 points for spending 10k USD or 15K spend or something like that). Last year gave me something like 15k points for spending $15k USD around September.

I am not sure if these offers are available to all members, but I have spent a fair amount on this card for a decade +, so I think the bonuses more than make up for the lost earning... as long as they keep offering these types of bonuses. I will test for a year or two

The other benefit a lot of people don't talk about is the discount coupon offers - I got $100 off a pair of Allen Edmonds shoes I bought and $5 back from starbucks over summer. Those little deals add up and make up for annual fee on purchases I would have made anyway. I wish they had more and better offers and included ones outside of the US where I spend most of my time, but I probably get $50-$100 USD back annually from them.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I liked the SPG card for earning 1 SPG point/dollar on non-category spend. At the new 2 MR/dollar rate... well, it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick but it's not better than certain other cards out there. Including 2% cashback, no-AF cards. I may pick up an SPG Business Amex instead. 4x MR on restaurants, gas, and telecom is tasty as I spend over $1k/month in those categories.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I liked the SPG card for earning 1 SPG point/dollar on non-category spend. At the new 2 MR/dollar rate... well, it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick but it's not better than certain other cards out there. Including 2% cashback, no-AF cards. I may pick up an SPG Business Amex instead. 4x MR on restaurants, gas, and telecom is tasty as I spend over $1k/month in those categories.
SPG/Marriott points are extremely flexible. I prefer SPG/Marriott airline partners to Chase's partners. However, the combination of Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) and Chase Freedom Unlimited (CFU) is hard to beat. The SPG business will beat the combination in the Gas and Telecom area. You could add a third card the no fee Chase Ink Business Cash (CIC) to get 3 points on gas and 5 points on telecom.

Non Bonus Spend
SPG 2/3 * 1.25 = .833 miles/dollar
CFU 1.5 miles
CSR conversion to cash via travel portal $0.0225 / dollar spent (1.5 points*1.5)

Restaurant Spend
SPG 4/3 old points * 1.25 mile bonus = 1.666 miles
CSR 3 miles
CSR conversion to cash via travel portal $0.045 / dollar spent (3.0 points*1.5)

Gas & Telecom
CFU 1.5 miles
CSR conversion to cash via travel portal $0.0225 / dollar spent (1.5 points*1.5)
-------------------

Gas (Capped at $25,000)
CIC 3.0 miles
CSR conversion to cash via travel portal $0.045 / dollar spent (3.0 points*1.5)

Telecom
(other 5% bonus categories - office supply stores plus internet, and cable - Combined cap of $25,000/year)

CIC 5.0 miles
CSR conversion to cash via travel portal $0.075 / dollar spent (5.0 points*1.5)

PS I have been trying to justify getting the SPG business card. I am hoping that someone will convince me. The bonus is tempting (33,333 SPG points)

Last edited by Explore SE Asia; Aug 23, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Did I read the the World of Hyatt card will pay you 4x points if you pay apartment rent on your card and that you can cash in your points for miles on a wide range of airlines on a 1:1 basis? If so, this sounds like an amazing card.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
When it says "effective August 26" is that now (i.e., after midnight Eastern Time), or do I still have a chance to get in on the deal last minute?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
SPG/Marriott points are extremely flexible. I prefer SPG/Marriott airline partners to Chase's partners. However, the combination of Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) and Chase Freedom Unlimited (CFU) is hard to beat.
Great analysis. Cash is king, and getting at least 1.5 cents per dollar (CSR) in a form that is like cash for travel purposes is hard to beat. Personally, I travel mostly for leisure, and except for a few guilty pleasures (flying first class to Europe with Aadvantage miles) I'm looking for the cheapest flights for my family of four. The way that airline awards are now, I never do better than 1.5 cents with award travel for economy.

I'm new to Chase, so if I get a CFU, I can combine these in one account and effectively get 2.25 cents (1.5 X1.5) for non-bonus spend?

I have had SPG business for both my work and my wife's consulting practice, so I will continue to bonus spend on these. Still prefer SPG properties and I will continue to need points for hotel stays....
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I just got a 100K bonus offer for upgrading from regular SPG Amex to Luxury if I spend $5000 USD in next 3 months. I took it. Although I deeply dislike the devaluation of the spending, I will still use this card. Amex some years has given me good retention bonuses (this year I think was 10,000 points for spending 10k USD or 15K spend or something like that). Last year gave me something like 15k points for spending $15k USD around September.

I am not sure if these offers are available to all members, but I have spent a fair amount on this card for a decade +, so I think the bonuses more than make up for the lost earning... as long as they keep offering these types of bonuses. I will test for a year or two

The other benefit a lot of people don't talk about is the discount coupon offers - I got $100 off a pair of Allen Edmonds shoes I bought and $5 back from starbucks over summer. Those little deals add up and make up for annual fee on purchases I would have made anyway. I wish they had more and better offers and included ones outside of the US where I spend most of my time, but I probably get $50-$100 USD back annually from them.
When I called them up last week they offered me an insulting 10K points retention offer. I was so upset I canceled the card immediately.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Green_eyes
When I called them up last week they offered me an insulting 10K points retention offer. I was so upset I canceled the card immediately.
Can't blame you, and I don't think you are missing out on anything. If it wasn't for the 100K bonus and automatic platinum upgrade, I would have cancelled. I have all the benefits (and more) with other cards.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
SPG/Marriott points are extremely flexible. I prefer SPG/Marriott airline partners to Chase's partners. However, the combination of Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) and Chase Freedom Unlimited (CFU) is hard to beat. The SPG business will beat the combination in the Gas and Telecom area. You could add a third card the no fee Chase Ink Business Cash (CIC) to get 3 points on gas and 5 points on telecom.
Pretty sure it's 2 points for gas and restaurants with the ink cash.
Explore SE Asia likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: SPG, AA, UAL, Hyatt, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ckelly14
Can't blame you, and I don't think you are missing out on anything. If it wasn't for the 100K bonus and automatic platinum upgrade, I would have cancelled. I have all the benefits (and more) with other cards.
How are you getting automatic plat?

Yeah you can spend on the new Luxury Amex to get there but that is a decent amount of spend and the opportunity cost of it is high (compared to that spend on a CSR/FU combo).
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by KParks
How are you getting automatic plat?

Yeah you can spend on the new Luxury Amex to get there but that is a decent amount of spend and the opportunity cost of it is high (compared to that spend on a CSR/FU combo).
My understanding is since I am "upgrading" my account, my previous spend earlier this year (>$75,000) counts towards the fulfillment of this requirement. We'll see if it actually happens, but that what I was told by the Amex rep and what others have posted on this thread.

My anniversary date is in October
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I got offer spend $300 get $60 USD back by mid October if stay US Marriott we Amex offers. I wish this extended ibternationally (will miss current SPG offer on this too) but great benefit if you can use
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by ckelly14
Great analysis. Cash is king, and getting at least 1.5 cents per dollar (CSR) in a form that is like cash for travel purposes is hard to beat. Personally, I travel mostly for leisure, and except for a few guilty pleasures (flying first class to Europe with Aadvantage miles) I'm looking for the cheapest flights for my family of four. The way that airline awards are now, I never do better than 1.5 cents with award travel for economy.

I'm new to Chase, so if I get a CFU, I can combine these in one account and effectively get 2.25 cents (1.5 X1.5) for non-bonus spend?

I have had SPG business for both my work and my wife's consulting practice, so I will continue to bonus spend on these. Still prefer SPG properties and I will continue to need points for hotel stays....
Not considering any bonus spend on travel cards of various currencies: citi double cash pays 2 percent, Barclay Arrival 2.1, Alliance Credit Union 3%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.