Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: Marriott PLT (LTPP), SPG PLT (LTG), AA EXP, UA 1K, Delta silver, Hertz PC
Recently closed my SPG AX and Chase MR Premier. Opened MR Premier Plus right after the bonus went from 100k to 75k. Long story about that, will save for another time, but I might be able to swing the full 100k by spending $5k in 3 months and escalating to the marketing dept (since I did apply before the deadline but at that time my old card hadn't been fully closed on the credit history).

Also opened an SPG biz AX today, and planning to open the Chase biz MR PP (application sent, need to call in to follow up because of the "decision will be mailed in 30 days" message). Will also apply for the SPG Luxury AX between 8/23-8/26 to catch that bonus.

Nice little haul of points (~400k) and achieved LTPP last month...a solid MR showing, if I do say so myself.

Will be closing the SPG biz after 12 months, the MR biz after 6, and the Luxury after whatever time frame the T&C specify (I expect 12 months as well).

My daily use of cards currently (will only change to achieve the minimum spend for the above):
- MR PP: hotel
- United MP Club: airfare
- Chase Amazon Prime: Amazon and Whole Foods purchases only
- CSR: everything else

Last edited by fayraree; Aug 11, 2018 at 4:59 am
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:56 pm

edit due to factual mistake

Last edited by Mangus; Aug 12, 2018 at 2:57 pm Reason: factual mistake
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott (Plat)
After reviewing the CC landscape, I've decided to go all-in on Chase with the Sapphire Reserve/Ink Bus. Preferred for my regular spending. I'm going to hang onto the SPG Amex (Bus. and Personal) because I think the annual fee will be more than paid for with the free night.
fullnelson3 and pageboy like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyertalkST
After reviewing the CC landscape, I've decided to go all-in on Chase with the Sapphire Reserve/Ink Bus. Preferred for my regular spending. I'm going to hang onto the SPG Amex (Bus. and Personal) because I think the annual fee will be more than paid for with the free night.
That's what I did too, though as I don't have a business I got the CFU instead.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Is anyone here still using their SPG Amex's?

This is so sad! I felt like i was cheating on it using my BA Chase or AA Citi.

Does anyone think Amex may rethink it if they see a huge drop off in spend?

That said, the way it is being marketed as earning even more points 2x (even "richer") it is being very cleverly / sneakily described.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I called and cancelled my card yesterday. They asked why and I explained it was because of the devaluation. Agent tried to tell me my math was wrong and that I wasn't losing anything. He offered me 10,000 Marriott points or waive the annual fee for 1 year but I'm not going to accept 2/3 of a point for every dollar spent outside of Marriott. He cancelled it without further discussion.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket

This is so sad! I felt like i was cheating on it using my BA Chase or AA Citi.

That said, the way it is being marketed as earning even more points 2x (even "richer") it is being very cleverly / sneakily described.
I am still using it because I still want to rack up Marriott points as I am eternally short (compared to URs where I have piles and piles of them).

Though out of principle I am now using the MR Visa more even though it is the same earning.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Yes....for charges at SPG and Marriott properties (earning 6x new points, equivalent to 2x Starpoints, exactly the same as before).

Also great for Boingo (which is available on the SPG cards as well as the Plat card). You are allowed 4 devices per Boingo AMEX plan, so it helps to have multiple cards since we all have so many devices these days! Be sure to download the Hotspot 2.0 Passpoint profile to compatible devices so you can use the secure networks! Btw, Boingo is not just at airports....there are downtown locations in NYC, for example.

Let's hope! If AMEX goes back to 3x new points on everyday, non-category spend, I will go back to putting ALL possible spend on my SPG cards!

I agree. The marketing materials are not being clear that the value of the point currency is decreasing, so 2x earning is actually the equivalent of less earning, not more.
Kremmen and qofmiwok like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Let's hope! If AMEX goes back to 3x new points on everyday, non-category spend, I will go back to putting ALL possible spend on my SPG cards!

I agree. The marketing materials are not being clear that the value of the point currency is decreasing, so 2x earning is actually the equivalent of less earning, not more.
I would probably get the Luxury card if it was 3x on non-categoy spend. Of course, I am only eligible to earn a signup bonus during the 3 day window. 3x would result in much higher utilization and drive the number of cards up dramatically especially since Korean air is no longer a transfer partner of Chase.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, UAL, Hyatt, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
I would probably get the Luxury card if it was 3x on non-categoy spend. Of course, I am only eligible to earn a signup bonus during the 3 day window. 3x would result in much higher utilization and drive the number of cards up dramatically especially since Korean air is no longer a transfer partner of Chase.
This for sure. Even though I carry a Plat already, I'd do the Luxury if it had the old earning on it (and even if I didn't get a signup bonus.. although presumably I could upgrade my current SPG).

Alas, I think the likelihood of this dream is very low for now. Maybe in a year after they see the dust settle (and presumably see a huge drop in SPG card spending and little activity on the new luxury card).
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Definitely! It would absolutely be worth the annual fee (subsidized in part by the hotel credit) if the SPG Luxury card offered 3x earning on non-category, general spend!

Does anyone have any contacts at SPG/Marriott to whom you could pass along this info?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Mileage Fanatic
Is there a case to keep using the SPG business for the bonus spend on restaurants, gas, cell/phone, and shipping?

Yes at 4X, If you have a 5X Ink for Cell phone use it for that.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
PS I am not an expert on business cards. I hope someone else can give you more feedback.
SPGB and Marriott Biz now earn 4X dining, cell phone, internet, cable, gas, and shipping. With the mileage transfers the same net, the business cards look to be the same if those are the main spend categories.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:15 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

No HUGE Devaluation of SPG Cards

Originally Posted by digimon
While everyone in this forum is debating the differences between the SPG/ Marriott loyalty program merger, the one thing that is an undisputed fact is that SPG points earned through the SPG Amex will be devalued significantly. In the past, $1 spent equaled 1 SPG point or 3 Marriott Reward points. After August, $1 spent will equal .67 SPG points or 2 Marriott Points. If you are like me who used the SPG Amex for “ALL” spend, you are probably wondering if there are better alternatives.

I would like to start this thread to discuss alternatives to the SPG Amex. I think most who valued the SPG Amex program did so because of the 20,000 points to 25,000 miles transfer rate to airlines. After August, spending $20,000 will only net you 40,000 Marriott reward points instead of 60,000 since now you will only receive 2 Marriott points per dollar spent. (By the way, I am assuming everyday spend for sake of this thread). So in order to get 60,000 Marriott points, which will also net 25,000 miles, you will have to spend $30K instead of $20K.
IMO, your title is somehow misleading. All things born and die, everything changes. I do not think there is huge devaluation of the new AmEx SPG card. The new AmEx SPG does not give you 1x SPG, but it gives us the annual reward night that is worth 35,000 MRs. For most people, this is far better than the 1x SPG flat earning. I get about 7 SPG cards in my family and I use only one or two.

The AmEx SPG card change has minimal impact to me. It is a huge de-valuation with the transfer to airline, even with the 25% bonus. It is far better to transfer AmEx MR points to airline. The best way for my SPG use is to transfer to Marriott and the old transfer to Amtrak. Amtrak transfer is dead now.

For the sorely missed 1x SPG flat earning, I get the 1.5 UR Chase Freedom Unlimited. Then I get 2x MR AmEx Blue Business Plus. I do not even use my 2% Fidelity or Citi DC cards.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:27 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by gpeso8
A pretty diverse mix, I would say my top three are SQ, JL, and Aeroplan. I transfer to A3, OZ, AA, NH less frequently.

I'm sitting on about 2 million SPG points at the moment, so I might start moving spend over before August. I figure Membership Rewards would probably be best for me since I can use them to transfer to SQ and NH. UR points also transfer to SQ but the other transfer partners are not appealing to me, I have more UA points than I would like.
Those are mostly AmEx transfer partners. You would have been much better off earning the AmEx MR points and transfer to the airlines. They are all 1:1 transfers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.