Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Mileage Fanatic
Is there a case to keep using the SPG business for the bonus spend on restaurants, gas, cell/phone, and shipping?

They are running a 100k bonus (higher than the Marriott Business card equivalent) til 10/31. So maybe a play there.

I’ve been spg personal since ‘99 and as much as I hate it can’t seem to justify keeping it in the wallet. It’s my oldest credit history so keeping it around and the hotel stay should cover it.

Still like to accumulate hotel points so looking at the SPG business card to see if that could work and keep earning points via their bonus categories only (mainly dining and gas).

Thoughts?
This is what I'm doing. I have had 2 business cards for 7 years and plan to use them for bonus spend.

The bottom line is I'm still planning to stay at Starwood, and UR points aren't a great value there. However, you bet I will dabble in other chains and my loyalty to Starwood is on thin ice...
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by bgriff
Email from Amex yesterday reminding of the changes mentioned that some posting of points for the SPG Amex will be delayed this month, so I'd bet that anyone whose statement closes before the 18th will have their points held back and credited after the 18th once the transition from Starpoints to new points has taken place.
Oh, I read the email, but didn't pick up on that part. Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've got both the spg personal & business amex cards & i also have the chase marriott rewards card....please correct me if i'm wrong but if i don't upgrade to any new cards & keep things the way they are then the following would be my benefits going forward:

spg personal amex - 15 nights elite credit....1 free night up to the value of 35k points....6 points per $ at spg/marriott properties & 2 points per $ everywhere else....$95 annual fee....

spg business amex - 15 nights elite credit....1 free night up to the value of 35k points....6 points per $ at spg/marriott properties & 2 points per $ everywhere else....$95 annual fee....

chase marriott premier - 15 nights elite credit....1 free night up to the value of 25k points....6 points per $ at spg/marriott properties & 2 points per $ everywhere else....$85 annual fee....

as far as the elite night credits are concerned, i will only get a maximum of 15 nights elite credit per year no matter how many cards i have....these 15 nights will credit at some point towards the beginning of the year (similar to the spg 2 stays & 5 nights credit) & not on your anniversary date....

have i got things right????
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:52 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Originally Posted by Keyser
i've got both the spg personal & business amex cards & i also have the chase marriott rewards card....please correct me if i'm wrong but if i don't upgrade to any new cards & keep things the way they are then the following would be my benefits going forward:

spg personal amex - 15 nights elite credit....1 free night up to the value of 35k points....6 points per $ at spg/marriott properties & 2 points per $ everywhere else....$95 annual fee....

spg business amex - 15 nights elite credit....1 free night up to the value of 35k points....6 points per $ at spg/marriott properties & 2 points per $ everywhere else....$95 annual fee....

chase marriott premier - 15 nights elite credit....1 free night up to the value of 25k points....6 points per $ at spg/marriott properties & 2 points per $ everywhere else....$85 annual fee....

as far as the elite night credits are concerned, i will only get a maximum of 15 nights elite credit per year no matter how many cards i have....these 15 nights will credit at some point towards the beginning of the year (similar to the spg 2 stays & 5 nights credit) & not on your anniversary date....

have i got things right????
The old Marriott card will also give you 1 elite night for each $3000 of spend.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by yrs
got it....thanks....
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: AA 1MM GO, SW A-List
Originally Posted by Keyser

spg business amex also has an additional bonus category of 4 points for restaurants, gas, cellphone, and shipping

I'm keeping the personal spg AmEx but only for the award night. I'm contemplating opening the business card w/ the 100k promotions and using it ONLY for the bonus categories to generate starriot points. Although, may also look at switching hotel cards all together to Hyatt or Hilton to generate hotel points.

If loyal to Starwood, guess the play is to stick with their card and seems the biz versions get better bang of the buck with their bonus categories. For those that are jumping ship what hotel cards are most people heading too? Beyond the generic CSR option?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by yrs
Is that confirmed to continue past 1/1/19? I only just got the "new" MR Chase card but I thought I had read the "old" 1 elite night per $3k spend was going away at the beginning of next year.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:46 am
yrs

Originally Posted by christianj
Is that confirmed to continue past 1/1/19? I only just got the "new" MR Chase card but I thought I had read the "old" 1 elite night per $3k spend was going away at the beginning of next year.
The old card retains that earning. The new card does not provide it.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, UAL, Hyatt, Amex Plat
spg business amex also has an additional bonus category of 4 points for restaurants, gas, cellphone, and shipping

I'm keeping the personal spg AmEx but only for the award night. I'm contemplating opening the business card w/ the 100k promotions and using it ONLY for the bonus categories to generate starriot points. Although, may also look at switching hotel cards all together to Hyatt or Hilton to generate hotel points.

If loyal to Starwood, guess the play is to stick with their card and seems the biz versions get better bang of the buck with their bonus categories. For those that are jumping ship what hotel cards are most people heading too? Beyond the generic CSR option?
I know you asked for other options... but if you are thinking about switching into a Hyatt forward strategy there is really no reason not to move the bulk of your spend into Chase UR cards (CSR and then paired with Freedom/Freedom Unlimited if you want).

You can still get the Hyatt card for the status (if you need basic status) and the 4x points at Hyatt and the free night should easily cover the annual fee. But after that you really should just sock drawer the Hyatt card and use Chase UR cards (again, CSR or CSR + Freedom/Freedom Unlimited) since the earning ratios are better and your UR transfer 1:1 to Hyatt while still having the flexibility to do other things with them.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:29 pm

Switched to CSR but I was a bit disappointed in the travel hub. Is United the only US carrier that shows up as an option?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

Just to clarify: these bonus categories are for U.S. restaurants, U.S. gas stations, U.S. cell phone providers, and U.S. shipping. Not overseas. So remember to stick to the CSR for overseas restaurants!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:32 am

marriott elite credit for spending

Originally Posted by yrs
and there is no option to get the "old" card with this benefit correct?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:15 am
yrs

Originally Posted by mdcubsfan
and there is no option to get the "old" card with this benefit correct?
Correct. The "old" card is no longer available to new applicants.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by yrs
Retains it - but is it correct that they will not allow more than a certain # of nights? That is, if you also have a new card from either Marriott or SPG and get that elite bonus - you can't just go unlimited with the $3k, spend correct?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:44 am
yrs

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Retains it - but is it correct that they will not allow more than a certain # of nights? That is, if you also have a new card from either Marriott or SPG and get that elite bonus - you can't just go unlimited with the $3k, spend correct?
The "old" cards do not have a limit on the number of nights accumulated via spending. You will get a night for every $3000 spent on the card, with no limit.
The new cards do not have this feature at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.