Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I think I'll keep the grand-fathered SPG Amex over the Chase Marriott for 3 reasons
  • Boingo
  • Shoprunner
  • Pride

Last edited by shuuy; Aug 1, 2018 at 8:57 pm Reason: added pride
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:28 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
How do you know the 2 new points/$ is starting today? Will amex start showing .667 points/$ until August 18?
Email from Amex yesterday reminding of the changes mentioned that some posting of points for the SPG Amex will be delayed this month, so I'd bet that anyone whose statement closes before the 18th will have their points held back and credited after the 18th once the transition from Starpoints to new points has taken place.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by shuuy
I think I'll keep the grand-fathered SPG Amex over the Chase Marriott for 3 reasons
  • Boingo
  • Shoprunner
  • Pride
Boingo is a big one for me, especially with Hotspot 2.0 (Passpoint) with WPA2 Enterprise encryption on my wifi at most airports (also, automatic login of iPad/Windows PC/android phones to the encrypted wifi) over the standard limited time free option. I have a no annual fee Amex (Blue Cash Everyday) for shoprunner (Boingo is limited to the premium Amex cards).

Chase gutting the travel and purchase protection benefits on the Marriott Card didn't really help the case in keeping that card either - cancelled it a couple days ago in favor of the SPG Amex (for Marriott/SPG spend only).
ESpen36 likes this.

Last edited by phltraveler; Aug 2, 2018 at 10:17 am
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by shuuy
  • Boingo
  • Shoprunner
  • Pride
I had forgotten about the ShopRunner benefit. I use it regularly and have for a couple of years now. Great benefit!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium; UA Silver
We are going with the "keep it simple" strategy:
- CSR for travel (except Stariott/Marriwood stays) and restaurants and for wherever the Am Ex card is not accepted
- Grand-fathered SPG Amex for Stariott/Marriwood stays and everyday spend to earn whatever Stariott/Marriwood points we can since we frequently stay at Starwood hotels due our Starwood LTP status. Will be LTPP in new program.

Did receive a targeted promotion offer for the Chase United Club card, 1st year free, which is attractive for its United Club access. Though appears that the Chase United Club card is not competitive with CSR because the Chase United Club does not appear to have a travel insurance benefit.
shuuy likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by flyalotlm
We are going with the "keep it simple" strategy:
- CSR for travel (except Stariott/Marriwood stays) and restaurants and for wherever the Am Ex card is not accepted
- Grand-fathered SPG Amex for Stariott/Marriwood stays and everyday spend to earn whatever Stariott/Marriwood points we can since we frequently stay at Starwood hotels due our Starwood LTP status. Will be LTPP in new program.
My usage going forward will be similar. Posted in another thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30039793-post16.html
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:50 am
Community Director Emerita

My husband has a SPG AMEX biz card. We've pulled all spend from it. He got a targeted AMEX biz blue card offer that gives 20K signup bonus after $5K spend and 2x points on the first 50K spend. I'm not as fond of Membership reward points as I am of SPG points, but the 2x benefit makes the card more interesting.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
What about for OVERSEAS general, non-category spend? Which of the non-FTF cards? Would you use SPG card (2x new Marriott points), Amex Plat (1x MR), CSR (1x UR), or something else? (Sadly, the Freedom Unlimited has FTF, so that extra 3% would negate the value of the 1.5x UR earned.)

For the record, the values are pretty close....:

- 2x new Marriott points are worth about 1.8 cents (0.9 each)
- 1x AMEX MR points are worth 1.9 cents each
- 1x Chase UR points are worth 2.1 cents each

(according to TPG August valuations)

Last edited by ESpen36; Aug 2, 2018 at 11:44 pm
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ESpen36
What about for OVERSEAS general, non-category spend? Which of the non-FTF cards? Would you use SPG card (2x new Marriott points), Amex Plat (1x MR), CSR (1x UR), or something else? (Sadly, the Freedom Unlimited has FTF, so that extra 3% would negate the value of the 1.5x UR earned.)

For the record, the values are pretty close....:

- 2x new Marriott points are worth about 1.8 cents (0.9 each)
- 1x AMEX MR points are worth 1.9 cents each
- 1x Chase UR points are worth 2.1 cents each

(according to TPG August valuations)
Oversees spending is a concern of mine also.
I am considering moving an IRA (greater than 100k) over to Bank of America. I can then get 2.625 cents per dollar spent on the Bank of America Premium Rewards card.

If you have been redeeming SPG points for Alaska miles, you could use the Alaska card (1.8 cents per mile). This would be better than the .833 miles earned via Marriott points.

PS There are brokerage bonus's for moving $ over to Merrill/Bank of America.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:28 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I just got my August 2 statement which had some big items on it and I have a hard time comprehending that next month it will be under a $100 until I change some monthly subscriptions over. I am curious as to what others think about the number of overall SPG Amex users who will more or less go to zero. Just those of us on Flyertalk or a bigger group out of the general population of cardholders. This can't be pleasant for Amex.

When I saw the recent email and realized that the business card has some bonus spend it kinda pissed me off because I might have stayed with the card if that had applied to the personal card.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:38 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My husband has a SPG AMEX biz card. We've pulled all spend from it. He got a targeted AMEX biz blue card offer that gives 20K signup bonus after $5K spend and 2x points on the first 50K spend. I'm not as fond of Membership reward points as I am of SPG points, but the 2x benefit makes the card more interesting.
This is exactly our plan for my husband's unbonused spend (he only received 10K signup bonus) Same situation where for years we have transferred all of his hoard to my SPG account. I never used SPG points much for airfare (preferring to use Ultimate & Membership Miles for that) so I plan to use the Luxury card for my unbonused spend and the Amex Biz for my business spend.

End of an era
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:34 pm

I just pulled my well-worn SPG Amex from my wallet as I won't use it for everyday spend anymore. Likely moving it all to Citi double cash, except for restaurants (Chase sapphire) or office/phone/cable (Chase Ink). I realized that I likely won't even use it for SPG/Marriott spend since these days I'm more likely to use my Citi Prestige for the fourth night free benefit for personal stays, and my work stays now have to go on my corporate Amex. Sad to see it go.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by TimesTwo
I just pulled my well-worn SPG Amex from my wallet as I won't use it for everyday spend anymore. Likely moving it all to Citi double cash, except for restaurants (Chase sapphire) or office/phone/cable (Chase Ink). I realized that I likely won't even use it for SPG/Marriott spend since these days I'm more likely to use my Citi Prestige for the fourth night free benefit for personal stays, and my work stays now have to go on my corporate Amex. Sad to see it go.
yeah, i did the same thing today...kinda sad. i really enjoyed getting those 'free' hotel stays, and loved using that card. sounds silly, but i'll miss using it.

also, i'm trying to figure out what the best way is to get starriott points going forward...guess we'll be paying cash for holiday hotel stays rather than using points. meh.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GO, SW A-List
Is there a case to keep using the SPG business for the bonus spend on restaurants, gas, cell/phone, and shipping?

They are running a 100k bonus (higher than the Marriott Business card equivalent) til 10/31. So maybe a play there.

I’ve been spg personal since ‘99 and as much as I hate it can’t seem to justify keeping it in the wallet. It’s my oldest credit history so keeping it around and the hotel stay should cover it.

Still like to accumulate hotel points so looking at the SPG business card to see if that could work and keep earning points via their bonus categories only (mainly dining and gas).

Thoughts?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mileage Fanatic
Is there a case to keep using the SPG business for the bonus spend on restaurants, gas, cell/phone, and shipping?

They are running a 100k bonus (higher than the Marriott Business card equivalent) til 10/31. So maybe a play there.

I’ve been spg personal since ‘99 and as much as I hate it can’t seem to justify keeping it in the wallet. It’s my oldest credit history so keeping it around and the hotel stay should cover it.

Still like to accumulate hotel points so looking at the SPG business card to see if that could work and keep earning points via their bonus categories only (mainly dining and gas).

Thoughts?
If you have a CSR, restaurants earn a much higher rate with the CSR. Gas, cell/phone, and shipping expenses depends on your alternatives. If you picked up a Chase ink business card you would earn 5% UR on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at office supply stores and on internet, cable and phone services each account anniversary year (then 1%).

I think earning the Starwood/Marriott bonus is worth pursuing. Given the reduced potential to earn Starwoood/Marriott points via credit card spend, the bonus becomes more valuable.

PS I am not an expert on business cards. I hope someone else can give you more feedback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.