Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdcubsfan
Is there currently any good way to work towards elite or upgraded Starwood/Marriott status through spending? I remember seeing somewhere a Marriott CC gave credit for 1 night per 3k spend, but not sure if that product and option is still available.

I think I saw the new AMEX Luxuy Starwood card would give platinum status for 75K spend, but that this expires and has to be met again every year. Is there any way to work towards lifetime upgrade status?

I do a lot of spending for business and read through the high spending card thread, and am currently looking into options with the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Freedom Unlimited (but those are UR points and I have always used Starwood and now effectively Marriott for my hotels and all my spending)

Thanks
I think the regular SPG Amex (or maybe it was the Marriott Visa) now gets you Gold status with $35k/yr in spending.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
I think my conundrum is specific to me in this instance and I still don't know what to do.

I am an authorized user on my parents Amex Platinum so I can book FHR bookings (I'll get my own when I can get a considerable bonus, but it's hard to justify another $550 when i already spend $800 on credit card annual fees). That is the ONLY reason I have the amex platinum because if I actually use it to pay for bookings, my parents get the points, not me. And I want those points. So I always used the SPG Amex to pay for bookings out of the country on FHR bookings because they require an Amex card to pay for the booking and my Amex EDP charges foreign transaction fees. Now that the SPG Amex is basically useless, I need a new Amex card that waives foreign transaction fees and has a bonus spend on hotels. I think the clear answer is to get the Amex Gold and cough up the extra $90 in annual fees, which I wanted to avoid.

Edit - I just realized neither Gold Amex has bonus spend for hotels. Looks like I will be using Virtuoso as much as possible now and use Chase.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
I don't have a subscription, but for those of you who do, the Wall Street Journal ran a story this morning which may be of interest.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/changes...ers-1531314329
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
just received this email in the morning:

both my cards were renewed recently....does anyone know if this mean i'll get the free nights next year when i renew again or this year after august 1st????
My personal SPG renewed back in March, and I was told that I would have to wait until my card renews in 2019 to get the free night. I specifically asked if there were cardholders whose card anniversary fell after 8/1 would be getting a free night in 2018, and the answer was yes those people would. I complained about it, and I got a retention offer for 7000 Starpoints in exchange for $500 in purchases and paying the annual fee. You can complain and see what they will offer you.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by DAYflier
I don't have a subscription, but for those of you who do, the Wall Street Journal ran a story this morning which may be of interest.

Good article, nothing new, but a nice overview. First time I can recall agreeing with The Points Guy (he stated that card issuers' devaluations of cards mean that cashback cards are looking better and better) in a long time.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ralphs
Good article, nothing new, but a nice overview. First time I can recall agreeing with The Points Guy (he stated that card issuers' devaluations of cards mean that cashback cards are looking better and better) in a long time.
That's because he contacted flyertalkers to ask about their experiences
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, UAL, Hyatt, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
That's because he contacted flyertalkers to ask about their experiences
Oh hey, I'm totally flyertalk famous for a day!
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WSJ etc can be accessed via google

seem to recall seeing some internet publications (not blogs) quote / reference flyertalk posts without asking, also 'contributors' (vs staff) at forbes and similar
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, UAL, Hyatt, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
WSJ etc can be accessed via google

seem to recall seeing some internet publications (not blogs) quote / reference flyertalk posts without asking, also 'contributors' (vs staff) at forbes and similar
I can't speak for others and other publications but just to be clear Scott from the WSJ was totally a professional journalist (as I'd expect from the WSJ). Sent myself (and I assume a few others) a PM asking if I'd be interested in talking about my experience with the SPG card and interviewed over the phone after that.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by KParks
I can't speak for others and other publications but just to be clear Scott from the WSJ was totally a professional journalist (as I'd expect from the WSJ). Sent myself (and I assume a few others) a PM asking if I'd be interested in talking about my experience with the SPG card and interviewed over the phone after that.
Yeah, I got the same PM, but by the time I saw it was kind of late.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:16 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DAYflier

It’s really the only major misstep I’ve seen Marriott make in this merger (well not giving SPG members with 750+ nights & 10 years LTPP but they fixed that )

I know LOTS of people who have used their SPG Amex card for their non-bonused spend. Like the guy in the article- $100,000 +

Seems very strange to me they are willing to risk that,
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by damon88

It’s really the only major misstep I’ve seen Marriott make in this merger (well not giving SPG members with 750+ nights & 10 years LTPP but they fixed that )

I know LOTS of people who have used their SPG Amex card for their non-bonused spend. Like the guy in the article- $100,000 +

Seems very strange to me they are willing to risk that,
My guess is that Chase probably nixed/vetoed any idea about earning 3x for every day purchases. It would have made the Chase Marriott cards incredibly non competitive for non bonused spend. Chase did have the original relationship with Marriott, which had to play a factor.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:01 am

Nah, only gold which now has no value for me without lounge access. I’ll probably also go to cash back cards
Now I’ll just book whichever hotel is best location, price, just like I no longer have loyalty to United even though I’m million miler
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
My guess is that Chase probably nixed/vetoed any idea about earning 3x for every day purchases. It would have made the Chase Marriott cards incredibly non competitive for non bonused spend. Chase did have the original relationship with Marriott, which had to play a factor.
+1.....If I were a betting man I would agree that Chase didn't want the AMEX card to be a better option on everyday spend and they had the upper hand! AMEX had to probably agree or loose Marriott all together.

I've had the SPG AMEX for as long as I can remember but it will be a sock drawer card (along with the Chase MR I just applied for to get the 100k)...come August! I will only use them for SPG/MR stays but everything else will go on another card. Sad really since there was a time when I almost wore my numbers out on my old SPG AMEX card.

I'm finishing up Lifetime Platinum this year and then will likely play the free agent card in 2019 picking whatever chain has the best property, for the best price and in the best location for each trip. SPG/MR will be covered with LTP and HH will be covered by Gold on the Ascend card. With Hyatt, Radisson and IHG I will have pretty low status which won't get me much but if the hotel, price and location work they will get my $ as well.

Last edited by christianj; Jul 12, 2018 at 10:43 am
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by damon88

Maybe it's just my pet peeve, but offering no value to SPG Amex members who renew before 8/1 is a misstep. Someone who happened to open an account in August 2017 gets a free night in 2018, but an ancient member who renews in June or July gets nothing for more than a year. (P.S. Amex claims this is entirely a MR benefit and not their benefit.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.