Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Letís talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Letís talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Reply

Old Aug 18, 18, 7:02 am
  #556  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,340
Not sure if all of you know this. What makes the old SPG CCs popular is that, you do not need to carry multiple airline CCs and pay multiple annual fees. And you do not get premium cards such as Chase CSR, Citi Prestige, or BofA Platinum status, etc. Then the 1.25x earning rate of the SPG card is very good and popular, compared to the 1.0x base earning rates of most airline CCs. This is why some people only carry the the SPG and maybe the airline CC of their choice.

So I can say SPG is highly popular versatile simple card for people who do not want to work hard on the reward systems.

BUT, if you get other cards that earn more than 1.25 miles/$ spending, they better the SPG card. There are quite a few I mentioned above.

Last edited by RedSun; Aug 18, 18 at 7:17 am
RedSun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 18, 7:09 am
  #557  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 19,483
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
As the other members just said, the best value of the SPG points are hotel redemption, either SPG or Marriott.
I spent most of my SPG points on Starwood hotels, but if I were to transfer 60K points to AA and end up with 75K miles, I can book a one way biz award ticket on CX that may run $4,000-5,000 (say NYC to HKG). There is just no way one is going to get $4K+ of value from 60K Starpoints.

So it's incorrect to make a blanket statement that "the best value of the SPG points are hotel redemption"
UA-NYC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 18, 7:22 am
  #558  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,340
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
I spent most of my SPG points on Starwood hotels, but if I were to transfer 60K points to AA and end up with 75K miles, I can book a one way biz award ticket on CX that may run $4,000-5,000 (say NYC to HKG). There is just no way one is going to get $4K+ of value from 60K Starpoints.

So it's incorrect to make a blanket statement that "the best value of the SPG points are hotel redemption"
As I said several times, your airline redemption has nothing to do with SPG card point transfer. If I get 75k AA miles sitting my in my AA account, I get the same redemption. The AA miles can be from SPG card or can be from Citi or Barclay AA CCs, even OneWorld Alliance partners. Maybe I can even buy the AA miles and get 6.7 cents/mile redemption you got.

The last, those first class or business airfares are way over-priced. You always get high redemption rate due to the pricing. Who will want to spend $5,000 per person on air tickets from own pocket to take family to Hawaii? So do not believe those online blogs promoting high redemption on first and business class airfares. If you spend that much $$ on some air tickets, they better be from oneone's else wallet. Of course you want treat you and family if you like and enjoy.

Last edited by RedSun; Aug 18, 18 at 7:29 am
RedSun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 18, 7:31 am
  #559  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 19,483
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
As I said several times, your airline redemption has nothing to do with SPG card point transfer. If I get 75k AA miles sitting my in my AA account, I get the same redemption. The AA miles can be from SPG card or can be from Citi or Barclay AA CCs, even OneWorld Alliance partners. Maybe I can even buy the AA miles and get 6.7 cents/mile redemption you got.

The last, those first class or business airfares are way over-priced. You always get high redemption rate due to the pricing. Who will want to spend $5,000 per person on air tickets from own pocket to take family to Hawaii? So do not believe those online blogs promoting high redemption on first and business class airfares. If you spend that much $$ on some air tickets, they better be from oneone's else wallet. Of course you want treat you and family if you like and enjoy.
Whatever your willingness to pay for that seat is irrelevant - you aren't sitting there unless you are coughing up the points or $4K one way.

Yes, in a world where one has infinite resources and infinite points, of course you can just redeem from anywhere. But it doesn't work like that. Sure I could transfer over Chase URs to BA to redeem for CX. But whoops, I have to pay 100K points + $400. Or sure, I could open up a Citi account - but then I can't transfer to AA directly.

Can't look at things in a vacuum.
UA-NYC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 18, 7:38 am
  #560  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Posts: 12,813
i've read (most of) this lengthy thread, but i'm still unclear on the following:

i have plenty of airline points from other sources. if my primary redemption for my SPG amex--now in the sock drawer--was at SPG properties, what's the best way now to accrue starriott points? the business SPG amex in the three day window? a transfer from ______?
karenkay is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 18, 7:57 am
  #561  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,340
Originally Posted by karenkay View Post
i've read (most of) this lengthy thread, but i'm still unclear on the following:

i have plenty of airline points from other sources. if my primary redemption for my SPG amex--now in the sock drawer--was at SPG properties, what's the best way now to accrue starriott points? the business SPG amex in the three day window? a transfer from ______?
After the Marriott/SPG merger, all Marriott, SPG and Ritz Carlton CCs earn the same hotel reward and base reward. There are some difference in the middle tier, 3x and 4x earnings. So just for Marriott/RC/SPG hotel, all the CCs are the same.

I only use my Ritz Carlton CC. The heavy metal just looks cool during travel.
RedSun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 18, 8:28 am
  #562  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 103
:



REGISTER BY SEPTEMBER 9, 2018, AND EARN BONUS POINTS FOR ELIGIBLE PURCHASES MADE ON YOUR CARD THROUGH OCTOBER 31, 2018.

Basically, earn an extra 2 points per $ up to $15K before October 31st.

Pretty clear to me that whether this is a "devaluation" or not, Amex is feeling the pinch...
ckelly14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 18, 9:08 am
  #563  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,340
Originally Posted by ckelly14 View Post
:

REGISTER BY SEPTEMBER 9, 2018, AND EARN BONUS POINTS FOR ELIGIBLE PURCHASES MADE ON YOUR CARD THROUGH OCTOBER 31, 2018.

Basically, earn an extra 2 points per $ up to $15K before October 31st.

Pretty clear to me that whether this is a "devaluation" or not, Amex is feeling the pinch...
Why is this a pinch? I receive AmEx offers all the time. I just received 20,000 bonus on $5,000 spending. I'd like to get that SPG offer if I get lucky.

The AmEx bonus point offers come all the time. It is not special to the Marriott + SPG. Are the AmEx MR points getting de-valued? Hope not. Those are 30,000 more miles on top of my regular card MR rewards. If my base is 2x, I get a total of 50,000 MRs or miles on $10,000 spending. That is worth 5 miles/$, or about 8 cents per $ spending.


Last edited by RedSun; Aug 18, 18 at 9:19 am
RedSun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 18, 10:54 am
  #564  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: LAX, BUR
Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Posts: 1,625
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
If I run $60,000 spending on my AmEx BBP card, I get 120,000 MR points and I can transfer to Singapore airline for 120,000 miles. This is one of the examples. Then I work my way of the Star Alliance system.

75,000 miles or 120,000 miles??
We're comparing old SPG to new SPG which the earning is equal for transfers.

Since you want to mix things in, using the SPGB on one of the 4x categories spending $20k would = 75k plus miles
$40k= 160k miles
$60k= 240k miles.


mhdena is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 18, 12:28 pm
  #565  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: starwood, aeroplan
Posts: 25
Large transactions

Originally Posted by mhdena View Post


We're comparing old SPG to new SPG which the earning is equal for transfers.

Since you want to mix things in, using the SPGB on one of the 4x categories spending $20k would = 75k plus miles
$40k= 160k miles
$60k= 240k miles.


Every now and then I have very large purchases (buisness for the most part ) that I am able to put on a credit card. A few months ago I made one of those large transactions on my spg card. Do you think there is any "negotiating room" with Amex when it comes to large purchases and rewards benifits?
mbd4524 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 18, 12:35 pm
  #566  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: san francisco.
Programs: Marriott Plat, OW Ruby
Posts: 1,470
Is there a link for this promo?

The 30K extra points that is,

Thanks,
tattikat2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 18, 12:36 pm
  #567  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,370
Originally Posted by mbd4524 View Post
Every now and then I have very large purchases (buisness for the most part ) that I am able to put on a credit card. A few months ago I made one of those large transactions on my spg card. Do you think there is any "negotiating room" with Amex when it comes to large purchases and rewards benifits?
Nope
TravelinSperry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 18, 1:17 pm
  #568  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: starwood, aeroplan
Posts: 25
Have you trie, Or is that just your assumption?
mbd4524 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 18, 2:11 pm
  #569  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 103
Originally Posted by tattikat2 View Post
Is there a link for this promo?

The 30K extra points that is,

Thanks,
Sorry, I received this as an e-mail. I clicked on the link but it currently says "You are already enrolled in this offer".

Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
Why is this a pinch? I receive AmEx offers all the time. I just received 20,000 bonus on $5,000 spending. I'd like to get that SPG offer if I get lucky.

The AmEx bonus point offers come all the time. It is not special to the Marriott + SPG. Are the AmEx MR points getting de-valued? Hope not. Those are 30,000 more miles on top of my regular card MR rewards. If my base is 2x, I get a total of 50,000 MRs or miles on $10,000 spending. That is worth 5 miles/$, or about 8 cents per $ spending.
I'm glad you get bonuses all the time. I have had the SPG Amex for over 10 years and never received a special offer for extra points for spend. I think this is more than coincidental. My spend went from 15K/month to less than 1K starting in June...
ckelly14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 18, 2:15 pm
  #570  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,340
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
Why is this a pinch? I receive AmEx offers all the time. I just received 20,000 bonus on $5,000 spending. I'd like to get that SPG offer if I get lucky.

The AmEx bonus point offers come all the time. It is not special to the Marriott + SPG. Are the AmEx MR points getting de-valued? Hope not. Those are 30,000 more miles on top of my regular card MR rewards. If my base is 2x, I get a total of 50,000 MRs or miles on $10,000 spending. That is worth 5 miles/$, or about 8 cents per $ spending.

Originally Posted by mhdena View Post


We're comparing old SPG to new SPG which the earning is equal for transfers.

Since you want to mix things in, using the SPGB on one of the 4x categories spending $20k would = 75k plus miles
$40k= 160k miles
$60k= 240k miles.

Why you want to make the argument and compare apple vs orange?

Most people use the SPG card for the base earning and transfer for miles. For $20,000 spending on the old SPG card, you get 20,000 starpoints and you can transfer to 25,000 miles.

With the AmEx BBP card, with $20,000 spending, the base earning is 40,000 MR points, which can be transferred to 40,000 partner miles.

How you max the SPG and get 4x? Only through Marriott/RC/SPG hotel stays. That is very limited. AmEx has a full lineup of other cards that can earn MR points, such as the Plat, PRG, EDP etc....

Last edited by RedSun; Aug 18, 18 at 4:34 pm
RedSun is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread