Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
If you just want the credit card with the 2.6-3.5% cashback, couldn't you simply open a Merrill IRA and roll $100k into it? It looks like that would put you into the Platinum Honors level, right? (Well, maybe throw $110k in there to make sure your avg daily balance never dips below $100k.)
Because he was aiming for the $600 bonus. With $100K initial deposit, he will only get $250. Also I noticed that he is self employed. If he does not have the Chase Business Ink Preferred yet, I would go for that first. The signup bonus is 80,000 UR points and to me that's better than $1200 cash that he would have to move a lot of assets and 3 months to get. And if his business is internet related, much of his business spending would be 3x UR points with the Ink Preferred.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
You're making a good case to keep the card. Pay $95, get a 35k award night. Since you actually stay at Marriotts and presumably would use the award night *somewhere*, that's a no-brainer.

But...it's not yet a case for spending a single non-hotel dollar on this card. You've already got the award night even if you spend $0. So why run any general-spend through this card if there's a better option?
i don’t think there is going to be a case to put everyday spend on the card after the changes and I don’t think we was suggesting there was. It will be a card just used for Marriott/Starwood spend and nothing else.
Old May 3, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Need
Because he was aiming for the $600 bonus. With $100K initial deposit, he will only get $250. Also I noticed that he is self employed. If he does not have the Chase Business Ink Preferred yet, I would go for that first. The signup bonus is 80,000 UR points and to me that's better than $1200 cash that he would have to move a lot of assets and 3 months to get. And if his business is internet related, much of his business spending would be 3x UR points with the Ink Preferred.
That’s right, I am going for all the bonuses given that I’m talking about moving money around and opening a checking account. For my past uses of UR points, I’m not sure that I’ve gotten much more than $1200 value for 80K points.
Old May 3, 2018, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdflyer04

That’s right, I am going for all the bonuses given that I’m talking about moving money around and opening a checking account. For my past uses of UR points, I’m not sure that I’ve gotten much more than $1200 value for 80K points.
Couldn't one move the 80k UR to Hyatt and achieve $1600 without trying too hard? (Disclaimer: I'm not a Chase/UR expert at all.) I mean, that implies you stay in hotels from time to time, but seems reasonable for this audience.
Old May 3, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
You're making a good case to keep the card. Pay $95, get a 35k award night. Since you actually stay at Marriotts and presumably would use the award night *somewhere*, that's a no-brainer.

But...it's not yet a case for spending a single non-hotel dollar on this card. You've already got the award night even if you spend $0. So why run any general-spend through this card if there's a better option?
That's sort of where I am right now. It will depend on how the new award chart looks too on whether I keep this card after next year or not. I already know I won't put any spending on it after 8/1, so I hope to get as many points as I can before August is here.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by zorbachs
I already know I won't put any spending on it after 8/1, so I hope to get as many points as I can before August is here.
I was sort of in the same mindset, but figured I'd try to get to the 30k near August, so at least we get SPG Gold status all next year. I am going to miss that benefit a lot as we've always been really lucky with some really nice upgrades. Even if I have to spend past 8/1, hopefully it won't be too much after that.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:13 pm

Couldn't one move the 80k UR to Hyatt and achieve $1600 without trying too hard? (Disclaimer: I'm not a Chase/UR expert at all.) I mean, that implies you stay in hotels from time to time, but seems reasonable for this audience.
I'm no UR expert either. But, in the past, I've only transferred them to United and Southwest. For my flying habits, I think it would be fairly tough to get much more than $1200 for 80K UR points. I will be lifetime Plat in the new SPG program. So, Hyatt points are a little less desirable for me.
Old May 3, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I had been using SPG as my primary spend card for over ten years, but switched travel spend to CSR fairly recently.

I'll keep SPG, the free night covers the $95 AF and it's handy for things like Amex Offers (not as good recently as in years past though). As earned platinum and lifetime gold, the spend/stay bonuses don't really affect me. I'd seriously consider upgrading to the $450 card if it got both unlimited PP and centurion lounge access - one thing I don't have now.

But if I'm going to pay $450 for a card and only get PP, I'll stick with CSR. So far the reward redemption at 4.5% on travel and restaurants has been unbeatable and service has been fantastic. And I'll admit it, for me the metal card has a bit of a cool factor to it.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:47 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones

Even better that AMEX has waived the AF every year for me. We'll see if they do that going forward. I'm not really into paying AF's and especially not $400+ ones, even if the benefits look good.

I agree that there are better earners out there, though I'll still use AMEX for rental car transactions as even my VISA Signature and MC World Elite cards, which have similar benefits, never seem to be as easy to deal with. I rent frequently since I don't own a car (live in BKK,) and come back to the US a few times a year as well as the trips around Thailand where we use one.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: Starwood, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by surfmonkey89
Update: Just got the card in the mail, and all of the materials promote 1.5% cash back, not 3%. I called support before I even activated the card. They claim that the materials are wrong, I'm set up at 3%, and they're going to mail me a letter confirming that. I'm going to activate the card, because even if they send me a letter there's now way I can confirmed 1.5% v 3.0% until I actually use it.

Needless to say, my first experience has not been positive. We'll see how it goes from here.
Latest update:

I made one purchase, and waited to see what it looked like when it cleared. It's coded as 1.5% on all purchased, and "Bonus 1.5% on all purchases", for a total of 3%. I assume the Bonus part will stop after a year. It looks like despite everything saying 1.5%, I am in fact getting 3% back. YMMV of course, but as it stands now, I'm good.

Just wanted to let everyone know, since my understanding is that I wasn't the only one to go through the 3% signup process and end up on a landing page that said 1.5%
Old May 4, 2018, 7:56 am

Any idea when the Chase Freedom Unlimited 3% ended? I was approved on 4/25 but just got the card today and all info contained in the mailing suggests it's 1.5%.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Any idea when the Chase Freedom Unlimited 3% ended? I was approved on 4/25 but just got the card today and all info contained in the mailing suggests it's 1.5%.
See the post above yours - lots of folks got "1.5%" info when receiving the card but are in fact receiving 3%. You can call to make sure and/or buy something and see if you only get 1.5% or if you get 1.5% + 1.5% bonus.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rbAA
Even better that AMEX has waived the AF every year for me. We'll see if they do that going forward. I'm not really into paying AF's and especially not $400+ ones, even if the benefits look good.
Have you had luck getting fees waived on cards in the $450 category?

I don't like paying AF's either, which is why any $450 card I carry has to have a benefit that brings that cost down easily - without me having to really work for it. Citi Prestige and this SPG Amex would pass the test, as my regular travels often involve MR/SPG incidental spend and Citi counts any travel on any airline as a valid expense. Hilton's $450 card does not, unless the airline gift card route is proven and reliable (which I haven't really looked into yet).
Old May 4, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
80k UR are worth a minimum of $1200 in travel if one has the CSR ($1000 with CSP). Personally, I have done as well $.03/pt in coach and $.015-$.02 is not unusual. I know some premium class international travel can be a great value.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
80k UR are worth a minimum of $1200 in travel if one has the CSR ($1000 with CSP). Personally, I have done as well $.03/pt in coach and $.015-$.02 is not unusual. I know some premium class international travel can be a great value.
I don't regularly buy international premium with my own money (although I definitely redeem those awards!). Occasionally get between 2-3 cpm in coach, U.S./Canada transborder sometimes yields that. I merely chose Hyatt because I can typically get 2 cpp there on pretty simple/short stays without trying too hard. Marriott is more about the long slog to the top Travel Packages, whereas Hyatt is nice hotels for short weekend stays in expensive markets...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.