Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Pantheon Iconic Rome Hotel, Autograph Collection - Rome Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Pantheon Iconic Rome Hotel, Autograph Collection - Rome Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Pippi
Actually for the five nights (7/11-16) there are no standard rates, but if I try to book it one night at a time, four of the nights are points only. I’m still a little confused.
No games. The base room (Classic) is available for redemption on three of the five nights (7/11-13 and 7/15). Only a Deluxe Room is available for redemption the other two (i.e., Friday and Saturday). So if you try to book all five, you have to book the Deluxe.

Can't say I'm really surprised a month out in Rome during the summer. I'm a little surprised availability is as good as it is.

Note that if you're coming from SPG you're probably used to last room availability. That is not the rule with Marriott. Properties are not required to offer all their base rooms for award redemptions.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Titanium | Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kar120c
We just arrived. Room a bit small as some have noted, but very nice. We are on points & were given a room on the first floor, but we do get breakfast as Gold elites. Staff seems attentive and professional. We were told today was the one month anniversary of opening. Also apparently until now only cold food was available due to kitchen issues, but the restaurant may be open by Saturday for hot dishes. Very nice outdoor terrace on sixth floor with some limited view of the top of the Pantheon.
Just completed a stay and breakfast still does not offer hot items in case anyone was wondering. I found the buffet to be quite limited and decided to eat at local restaurants instead.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Just completed a 3 night stay on points on a recent trip to Europe. Given the mediocre at best reviews on FT, I was a little hesitant on staying here, but with the redemption value on points, I decided to roll the dice and I will admit that I was happy that I did. Upon arrival from our transfer from the airport, there were 2 bellmen ready to grab our bags out of the car - I would assume that have to be ready at all times given the street outside the hotel is one way and very narrow so an extended stop would cause a bit of a traffic jam. With check-in we received a warm welcome and were informed that we were upgraded to a deluxe room which was a one category upgrade. One of the front desk staff led us to our room and extensively showed/explained us every amenity and nuance of the room and was proactive with suggesting places to visit, etc. He was very friendly and probably spent close to 10 minutes with us in the room. As others have stated, the room and hotel as a whole is very modern and we found the room to be a decent size by European standards and had a nice view from the 5th floor. The bathroom was also quite spacious. The only complaints about the room were that it was difficult to figure out what switches worked what and also they have a dated cellphone which operates as the room phone which didn't always seem to work. The first night the TV shutoff and wouldn't turn back on, but after a quick visit from the service guy who reached into the closer and perhaps reset a breaker it was good for the rest of our stay.

With my gold status, we were offered free breakfast which was on the top floor on the terrace which was I thought was expansive given the number of rooms and size of the hotel. Service was exemplary during all of our breakfast services. There was a varied choice of continental type offerings along with self serve prosecco. One could also order hot items such as omelettes, eggs, etc. I found the buffet offerings more than enough to start the day, but the one day I did order fried eggs over easy and they came out completely overdone with the yolks rock hard. As we were in a rush to get going, I didn't bother sending them back. As well, we enjoyed cocktails on the bar terrace one evening, and despite them being pricey, it had a great atmosphere and was a welcome respite from the busy streets of Rome.

My only minor concerns with the hotel comes down to service which I would hope they are slowly ironing out. One day we returned to the room at 4pm after having left at 9am and the room wasn't still cleaned. We called down and requested it be cleaned ASAP and then went out and returned at 7pm and it had still not be cleaned. When we returned after dinner, it had finally been done. There were also a couple of service issues with the front desk. One morning I requested a dinner reservation to be made for the next evening. He noted the details and said he would confirm with me once made. I never got a confirmation so enquired again the following morning and they had no record of it. Again, they said they would confirm once made and again, no confirmation. Luckily it had been made the 2nd time after I had to ask again. As well, a simple checkout with just a couple of bar charges took literally 15 minutes to take care of. I understand that sometimes things move a little slower in Italy, but it seemed a little excessive.

I think the best asset of the hotel is the location. It is in the heart of everything and you definitely get a different vibe in the older part of Rome (last time we stayed at the Westin). All major tourist sites are within walking distance and there are a ton of dining options within walking distance even despite the late July heat. Overall, I think that this hotel is a solid choice if looking to stay in the heart of Rome and I am willing to bet that any service issues will iron themselves out over time.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Can anyone compare to other Marriott fka SPG properties in Rome?
NJKen and live4h2o like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:04 pm

Quick question, did anyone book a points reservation in Aug 2018? I am trying to see if the points requirement has changed because I had to move up the reservation by one day after the changes went into effect mid September.

Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:00 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by NJKen
Quick question, did anyone book a points reservation in Aug 2018?
I just looked at June 2018. It's currently 60K per night.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Can anyone compare to other Marriott fka SPG properties in Rome?
My wife and I stayed there in October and weren’t thrilled with it. The best part was that the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. We had our SNA’s approved and were upgradrd to a suite. The hotel sent up a bottle of Prosecco and platter of delicious chocolate covered strawberries, all of which was in addition to the Platinum amenity of chocolates that were already in our room when we arrived. So that was extremely nice. That’s the good. Actually the breakfast was pretty good too.

What we weren’t crazy about: The gray ultra modern room wasn’t to our taste, but that is a matter of personal preference. However, we couldn’t really figure out how to turn on the multitude of different lights and when we did get it, they all turned off simultaneously on their own usually somewhere between every 10-30 minutes. Then we’d have to go through the entire exercise of figuring it all out again. Of course we asked the hotel why this was happening, but the engineer couldn’t fix the problem so we just lived with it (no compensation asked for by us or offered proactively by the hotel). The area that the hotel is located in is a zoo, so the location wasn’t really to our liking either.

Now in answer to your question, we have stayed at two legacy SPG properties that we much preferred in the past. We have always received a generous upgrade at the Westin Excelsior, but haven’t been there in 5 years so I’d check current reviews. At the beginning of our latest trip (which we ended at the Pantheon), we spent 2 nights at ale Meridien Visconti. We had a wonderful stay there. We liked the neighbourhood (Prati), which was close enough to walk to the major sites, but in a somewhat upscale local area. We also used SNAs to upgrade to a very nice suite there. We preferred the breakfast there to the one at the Pantheon Iconic. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by ac/elite
Now in answer to your question, we have stayed at two legacy SPG properties that we much preferred in the past. We have always received a generous upgrade at the Westin Excelsior, but haven’t been there in 5 years so I’d check current reviews. At the beginning of our latest trip (which we ended at the Pantheon), we spent 2 nights at ale Meridien Visconti. We had a wonderful stay there. We liked the neighbourhood (Prati), which was close enough to walk to the major sites, but in a somewhat upscale local area. We also used SNAs to upgrade to a very nice suite there. We preferred the breakfast there to the one at the Pantheon Iconic. Hope this helps.
Thanks - if it was a zoo in October I am sure it would be worse in July. And disappointing to hear that all the tech glitches haven't been fixed. At this point I'm booked into the St. Regis which will be convenient to Termini and also walking distance to Spanish Steps and Trevi.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
and also walking distance to Spanish Steps and Trevi.
Crowds intolerable. If you go to either, go before 9 am.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Is there ever an off-season in Rome? I think it has to be busier than London and Paris, if only because of the Vatican and the endless stream of religious pilgrims and religious tourists on top of everyone else.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by NJKen
Quick question, did anyone book a points reservation in Aug 2018? I am trying to see if the points requirement has changed because I had to move up the reservation by one day after the changes went into effect mid September.

Thank you in advance!
I booked at 45K per night. Per the transition website it was supposed to be new category 6, or 50K a night (check here: https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change). This hasn't held as the property website shows it as a category 7 now, requiring 60K a night.
NJKen likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by chongl
I booked at 45K per night. Per the transition website it was supposed to be new category 6, or 50K a night (check here: https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change). This hasn't held as the property website shows it as a category 7 now, requiring 60K a night.
Thank you for reassuring me that I wasn't going crazy!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
A Titanium friend of mine just completed a 7-day stay at the property. Here's his trip report. I have his permission to post it.

"Checked into Pantheon Iconic Rome hotel for 7-nights - as Titanium member assigned a deluxe room on the 5th floor (6th is rooftop restaurant/bar).

Room kinda cramped as only 30SM although with huge 20SM balcony which in the rain was unusable and not private as anyone on 6th floor could look down - even had guest ask how to get to it as didn’t understand was part of our room - thought it was public.

Maid service was worst of all - had to request at least 3 times per day and items like toilet paper, bath soap and drinking water never replaced even after re-asking front desk more then once.

On 4th day moved to Jr Suite w/o unwanted balcony - much better space wise and housekeeper knew her job 1000 times better then upstairs housekeeper but head of housekeeping at fault here as she cleared both rooms even though not serviced properly

Hotel installed black marble floors in lobby and restaurant which immediately after being walked on was repollished again and again - looked like the olympic curling sweepers on ice only here in back of the shoe scuffs vrs big stone.

Traveling to Vatican asked staff about buying billets as sometimes front desk sells but here they didn't and said just use station machine - which of course never worked and cancelling transaction just kept your money - then I remembered buying tickets from the newspaper vendor - no problem there only when getting bad info from hotel staff.

On day 5 breakfast staff asked if we wanted something different then boring eggs every day - offered pancakes - okey, then presented a E24 X 2 bill - no, the pancakes were not seasoned with gold nor was any charge stated before ordering but that's the way this property operates.

Alternating mornings of fresh fruit - strawberries and cantaloupe were good. So was the coffee but getting a second cup was worse than getting a tooth pulled.

Hotel sells for E600++/night minimum based on its location and that meant 2 min to Pantheon, 5 min to Piazza Navona, 10 min to Trevi Fountain and 15 min to Spanish Steps. It's ONLY saving grace.

Would not recommend this property using either cash or points until this property, already a full year of operation, gets its priorities straight."

dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
A Titanium friend of mine just completed a 7-day stay at the property. Here's his trip report. I have his permission to post it.

"Checked into Pantheon Iconic Rome hotel for 7-nights - as Titanium member assigned a deluxe room on the 5th floor (6th is rooftop restaurant/bar).

Room kinda cramped as only 30SM although with huge 20SM balcony which in the rain was unusable and not private as anyone on 6th floor could look down - even had guest ask how to get to it as didn’t understand was part of our room - thought it was public.

Maid service was worst of all - had to request at least 3 times per day and items like toilet paper, bath soap and drinking water never replaced even after re-asking front desk more then once.

On 4th day moved to Jr Suite w/o unwanted balcony - much better space wise and housekeeper knew her job 1000 times better then upstairs housekeeper but head of housekeeping at fault here as she cleared both rooms even though not serviced properly

Hotel installed black marble floors in lobby and restaurant which immediately after being walked on was repollished again and again - looked like the olympic curling sweepers on ice only here in back of the shoe scuffs vrs big stone.

Traveling to Vatican asked staff about buying billets as sometimes front desk sells but here they didn't and said just use station machine - which of course never worked and cancelling transaction just kept your money - then I remembered buying tickets from the newspaper vendor - no problem there only when getting bad info from hotel staff.

On day 5 breakfast staff asked if we wanted something different then boring eggs every day - offered pancakes - okey, then presented a E24 X 2 bill - no, the pancakes were not seasoned with gold nor was any charge stated before ordering but that's the way this property operates.

Alternating mornings of fresh fruit - strawberries and cantaloupe were good. So was the coffee but getting a second cup was worse than getting a tooth pulled.

Hotel sells for E600++/night minimum based on its location and that meant 2 min to Pantheon, 5 min to Piazza Navona, 10 min to Trevi Fountain and 15 min to Spanish Steps. It's ONLY saving grace.

Would not recommend this property using either cash or points until this property, already a full year of operation, gets its priorities straight."

Thanks for posting. I will be there this Saturday for a 1 week stay and the SNA cleared today to a Junior Suite. Sounds like at least from a room perspective we should be all set. Will see how it goes for us, I have read many many very good reviews about this hotel and then a select few that were bad ... will post here when we are back with an update.
Brandinho1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.