Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Pantheon Iconic Rome Hotel, Autograph Collection - Rome Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Pantheon Iconic Rome Hotel, Autograph Collection - Rome Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 2:59 pm

We just arrived. Room a bit small as some have noted, but very nice. We are on points & were given a room on the first floor, but we do get breakfast as Gold elites. Staff seems attentive and professional. We were told today was the one month anniversary of opening. Also apparently until now only cold food was available due to kitchen issues, but the restaurant may be open by Saturday for hot dishes. Very nice outdoor terrace on sixth floor with some limited view of the top of the Pantheon.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Restaurant staff: A+

Lovely people. Lovely treatment. Breakfast itself is a solid B+/A-, albeit completely repetitive every day. The welcome drink on patio (vs. 500 measly Marriott points) is a no-brainer. It was yummy. The extras they threw in at happy hour totally unnecessary but lovely. These people are 5* people in a 3* hotel.

Housekeeping staff: B+

Doting, but flawed. Went out repeatedly to find the room tidied. Then went out one night at 5:30, no turndown / towel refresh despite returning near 12. Then went out next day at 10, no housekeeping despite returning around 330. Then asked for towels/toiletries -- after we went out again -- and got 4 visits from housekeeping in the next hour while we were still in room.

Front desk staff: D-

Condescending, Insulting even. Thanks, I know how my room key works. When I tell you it doesn't, just replace it. Thanks, I know my thermostat is off as the display is blank and it doesn't respond. Don't tell me you "need to confirm", tell me you will "do everything you can to fix it and get the air conditioner working". Thanks, I know how your do not disturb button works. When I tell you it's stuck on, please just offer to fix it.

Condescension: A+++++

See above. Also, maybe this is a European thing but I know I paid on points. When you tell me you see I paid on points with that dripping tone, I think you're planning on treating me "less than". And you did nothing to disabuse me of that notion. "I see this is a rewards stay, so we only need a credit card for incidentals. Of course, as a valued Marriott Rewards member we will do everything we can to make this a wonderful stay for you."

Room: C+

First of all, don't insult me by telling me this room was an upgrade. It was a regular room. Maybe they get smaller because I had a vestigial vestibule at the front, but the room itself contains the bed and the minibar / console. When you have every class of suite available for every night of my stay -- and yes, I checked each day -- I wonder why you don't upgrade me as a Platinum. Was it perchance that it was a "point stay"?

The room plays well on looks, but in reality fails to deliver. The lightning controls are bizarre, with scene control at the entrance but no logical control at bed other than "all off" and the ability to control the searingly unpleasant overhead lights. This room also has a slightly less unpleasant overhead fixture and two sets of pleasant, indirects (one behind headboard, one sort of a "soffit" style. From the bed? No soup for you!

The bathroom has a lighted mirror and multiple other options. The searing overhead on the toilet is dumb as heck. The fact you can't make the mirror dark at night? Dumber. That meant keeping the bedroom door fully closed at night which is fraught when you stumble over there.

Inside the bathroom was an unfinished corner that clearly led to a maintenance access. It was out of the way to the point you wouldn't mind excess it compromised the soundproofing of the entire room, leading to lots of noise in the room, a horrible buzzing hive sound every time an elevator was used, et al.

The room door constantly failed to unlock cleanly. At first, you'd swipe 2-3x to get it to unlock (key registered every time, just no unlock). Then that stopped and you had to do a quick "pull-push" motion on door after swiping or else no open.

This room looks 5*, is 2*.

Miscellany: C-

A fire alarm one night forced everyone to the street after midnight. Smoke in the stairwells, no announcement of any kind to guests. They did start calling out names on street to see if people were there. Eventually two idiot couples were retrieved from their rooms 30 minutes later. Hotel says fire was next door and detectors just "sensitive". Credible except for 6 false alarms next day, none of which were followed up on by hotel.

"Fire" led to shut down of all HVAC, which led to thermostat incident above. Waited 2 hours for A/C to come back, believing all were experiencing. When finally came down, got the lecture on thermostat but the staffer who came up didn't condescend and show me how to operate a non-working thermostat. He simply reset breakers in a closet in hall and voila. I should've gone down sooner, but, fire and such.

We did on first night break a bottle of wine trying to make space in wine fridge. Staffer who handled that also was a pro. Came quickly, cleaned well, no residual glass or odor detected. This was 5* service, albeit for 10 minutes.

Recommendation: Do not stay here at this time

The pluses are nice, but it's 400 euro a night right now and their intended high-season price is 500 euro and up. The location is amazing, that's true. You can't be more centrally located for Rome's great sites. You fall out of bed and you're at the Pantheon. But to be clear, Vatican is 35 minutes by foot (and not a ton faster on taxi), Borghese is 35 minutes by foot (and not a ton faster in taxi), Colosseum is a bit closer but not much. So you're central, but you're not near the big stuff. You are near Trevi, Spanish Steps, et al. It's a great location.

The problem here is value and staff. If I want to be insulted I can get on Twitter and express any unpopular opinion. It's hard to imagine the staff here at St. Regis Florence being 1/3 as rude as the Pantheon Iconic front desk people.

This hotel needed a soft open to work out the technology glitches. It needs some real staff training to explain that pretentiousness is not a substitute for high-end service. This is a small property, was half full, as is actually likely overstaffed at this time. And there are gems like the restaurant team, to be sure. But goodness, I don't want/need to be greeted by 2-3 people every time I walk in or out of the building -- especially when at least one of those people has already offended me in some fashion. (Oh, one door greeter did warn of rain once when we were about to go out. More of them, less of the others.)
Old May 27, 2018, 4:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rogo
Restaurant staff: A+

Lovely people. Lovely treatment. Breakfast itself is a solid B+/A-, albeit completely repetitive every day. The welcome drink on patio (vs. 500 measly Marriott points) is a no-brainer. It was yummy. The extras they threw in at happy hour totally unnecessary but lovely. These people are 5* people in a 3* hotel.

Housekeeping staff: B+

Doting, but flawed. Went out repeatedly to find the room tidied. Then went out one night at 5:30, no turndown / towel refresh despite returning near 12. Then went out next day at 10, no housekeeping despite returning around 330. Then asked for towels/toiletries -- after we went out again -- and got 4 visits from housekeeping in the next hour while we were still in room.

Front desk staff: D-

Condescending, Insulting even. Thanks, I know how my room key works. When I tell you it doesn't, just replace it. Thanks, I know my thermostat is off as the display is blank and it doesn't respond. Don't tell me you "need to confirm", tell me you will "do everything you can to fix it and get the air conditioner working". Thanks, I know how your do not disturb button works. When I tell you it's stuck on, please just offer to fix it.

See above. Also, maybe this is a European thing but I know I paid on points. When you tell me you see I paid on points with that dripping tone, I think you're planning on treating me "less than". And you did nothing to disabuse me of that notion. "I see this is a rewards stay, so we only need a credit card for incidentals. Of course, as a valued Marriott Rewards member we will do everything we can to make this a wonderful stay for you."

First of all, don't insult me by telling me this room was an upgrade. It was a regular room. Maybe they get smaller because I had a vestigial vestibule at the front, but the room itself contains the bed and the minibar / console. When you have every class of suite available for every night of my stay -- and yes, I checked each day -- I wonder why you don't upgrade me as a Platinum. Was it perchance that it was a "point stay"?

The room plays well on looks, but in reality fails to deliver. The lightning controls are bizarre, with scene control at the entrance but no logical control at bed other than "all off" and the ability to control the searingly unpleasant overhead lights. This room also has a slightly less unpleasant overhead fixture and two sets of pleasant, indirects (one behind headboard, one sort of a "soffit" style. From the bed? No soup for you!

The bathroom has a lighted mirror and multiple other options. The searing overhead on the toilet is dumb as heck. The fact you can't make the mirror dark at night? Dumber. That meant keeping the bedroom door fully closed at night which is fraught when you stumble over there.

Inside the bathroom was an unfinished corner that clearly led to a maintenance access. It was out of the way to the point you wouldn't mind excess it compromised the soundproofing of the entire room, leading to lots of noise in the room, a horrible buzzing hive sound every time an elevator was used, et al.

The room door constantly failed to unlock cleanly. At first, you'd swipe 2-3x to get it to unlock (key registered every time, just no unlock). Then that stopped and you had to do a quick "pull-push" motion on door after swiping or else no open.

Miscellany: C-

A fire alarm one night forced everyone to the street after midnight. Smoke in the stairwells, no announcement of any kind to guests. They did start calling out names on street to see if people were there. Eventually two idiot couples were retrieved from their rooms 30 minutes later. Hotel says fire was next door and detectors just "sensitive". Credible except for 6 false alarms next day, none of which were followed up on by hotel.

"Fire" led to shut down of all HVAC, which led to thermostat incident above. Waited 2 hours for A/C to come back, believing all were experiencing. When finally came down, got the lecture on thermostat but the staffer who came up didn't condescend and show me how to operate a non-working thermostat. He simply reset breakers in a closet in hall and voila. I should've gone down sooner, but, fire and such.

We did on first night break a bottle of wine trying to make space in wine fridge. Staffer who handled that also was a pro. Came quickly, cleaned well, no residual glass or odor detected. This was 5* service, albeit for 10 minutes.

Recommendation: Do not stay here at this time

The pluses are nice, but it's 400 euro a night right now and their intended high-season price is 500 euro and up. The location is amazing, that's true. You can't be more centrally located for Rome's great sites. You fall out of bed and you're at the Pantheon. But to be clear, Vatican is 35 minutes by foot (and not a ton faster on taxi), Borghese is 35 minutes by foot (and not a ton faster in taxi), Colosseum is a bit closer but not much. So you're central, but you're not near the big stuff. You are near Trevi, Spanish Steps, et al. It's a great location.

The problem here is value and staff. If I want to be insulted I can get on Twitter and express any unpopular opinion. It's hard to imagine the staff here at St. Regis Florence being 1/3 as rude as the Pantheon Iconic front desk people.

This hotel needed a soft open to work out the technology glitches. It needs some real staff training to explain that pretentiousness is not a substitute for high-end service. This is a small property, was half full, as is actually likely overstaffed at this time. And there are gems like the restaurant team, to be sure. But goodness, I don't want/need to be greeted by 2-3 people every time I walk in or out of the building -- especially when at least one of those people has already offended me in some fashion. (Oh, one door greeter did warn of rain once when we were about to go out. More of them, less of the others.)
In other words, your typical Italian incompetence, European-esque snobbery, and Autograph Collection treatment of Marriott elites.

As I said earlier, this hotel is owned and operated by a tour operator. They're using Marriott to fill nights when they don't have tour buses packing the hotel. I would expect the worst possible treatment as a Marriott elite from May-September.
rogo likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The pluses are nice, but it's 400 euro a night right now and their intended high-season price is 500 euro and up.
Add this place to the list of major chain properties in Rome that are not worth the price. Maybe I would try the (former) Boscolo Exedra based on reports of excellent Plat recognition. Otherwise I'm staying independent in Rome.

But to be clear, Vatican is 35 minutes by foot (and not a ton faster on taxi), Borghese is 35 minutes by foot (and not a ton faster in taxi), Colosseum is a bit closer but not much. So you're central, but you're not near the big stuff. You are near Trevi, Spanish Steps, et al. It's a great location.
To be fair, it is physically not possible for a single property to be close to all those sites.
rogo likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Add this place to the list of major chain properties in Rome that are not worth the price. Maybe I would try the (former) Boscolo Exedra based on reports of excellent Plat recognition. Otherwise I'm staying independent in Rome.
I stayed at a Mercure hotel in the U.K. for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised, as I wasn't familar with this brand before. If this particular property was representative of the brand's properties, I would put it a notch above the average Marriott, Sheraton, Autograph Collection and Renaissance. It looks like there are a few Mercure properties in Rome.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
I was also staying on points. I may be numb from it from my travels in Europe, but didn't pick up an condescension for using points.

I had some of the same issues, but others not at all. I got an 'upgrade' to a junior suite and also thought it felt like more of a regular room to me. But this could also be a European thing (upgrades at the W Paris also don't feel like an upgrade until you see how small the regular rooms are).

The lighting controls - 100% agree. As you note, the controls are 'scenes', instead of individual lights, but none of the buttons are labeled so I would constantly go through all of them to work it out. The amount of time I spent turning lights on and off, hitting buttons, just to work out how to get specific lights on/off was insane.
The mirror does go off - at least in my room. It was a separate switch by the mirror itself (instead of on the wall when you first walk in with the rest of the wall controls).

Hotel definitely has some kinks to work out, and the EUR 450/night they're trying to get is absurd. But for points, very well worth it.
rogo likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I stayed at a Mercure hotel in the U.K. for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised, as I wasn't familar with this brand before. If this particular property was representative of the brand's properties, I would put it a notch above the average Marriott, Sheraton, Autograph Collection and Renaissance. It looks like there are a few Mercure properties in Rome.
I stayed at the Mercure Colosseo a few years ago and it was not a good stay. Tiny room, old furnishings, incredibly small bathroom, no free breakfast. The only redeeming feature was the rooftop pool area where you had a great view of the Colosseum.

But back to the Pantheon Iconic, I am currently holding two 5-night points reservations for later this year - one for Palazzo Naiadi (formerly the Boscolo Exedra) and this hotel. I really like the location of the Pantheon Iconic, but I've been inside the Palazzo Naiadi and know it is a beautiful hotel that has a reputation for treating Plats very well. I am waiting for the Pantheon Iconic to be open a bit longer and see if the kinks get worked out. Decisions, decisions.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
In other words, your typical Italian incompetence, European-esque snobbery, and Autograph Collection treatment of Marriott elites.

As I said earlier, this hotel is owned and operated by a tour operator. They're using Marriott to fill nights when they don't have tour buses packing the hotel. I would expect the worst possible treatment as a Marriott elite from May-September.
There were absolutely zero tour groups when we stayed there. I'm not disagreeing with you about who owns the place (I don't know) or their plans (I don't know that either). The hotel has 60 standard rooms. So I guess small tours? Either way, none present last week.

To be fair, it is physically not possible for a single property to be close to all those sites.
No, of course it isn't. And the location is great -- compared to many other nice hotels in Rome from chains that are less well located.

Originally Posted by jmanirish
I was also staying on points. I may be numb from it from my travelsrip in Europe, but didn't pick up an condescension for using points.
So this was an all-points trip save for some cash out of pocket in Cash/Points at Gritti Palace. The St. Regis mentioned they were aware we were paying on points, explained our lovely upgraded room in same breath, etc. The Pantheon Iconic desk clerk had that sigh of being offended we weren't using real money at "his hotel". It was gross, but perhaps typical.
I had some of the same issues, but others not at all. I got an 'upgrade' to a junior suite and also thought it felt like more of a regular room to me. But this could also be a European thing (upgrades at the W Paris also don't feel like an upgrade until you see how small the regular rooms are).
Had we been given a junior suite and been unimpressed by junior suites I'd have acknowledged this was an upgrade. Instead we were told it was an upgrade to some room "we will definitely like". But the upgrade was indiscernible from the booked room class..
The lighting controls - 100% agree. As you note, the controls are 'scenes', instead of individual lights, but none of the buttons are labeled so I would constantly go through all of them to work it out. The amount of time I spent turning lights on and off, hitting buttons, just to work out how to get specific lights on/off was insane.
The mirror does go off - at least in my room. It was a separate switch by the mirror itself (instead of on the wall when you first walk in with the rest of the wall controls).
So our room had no mirror switch. I don't know what to say other than that. The lighting "scenes" are somewhat dumb and, yes, unlabeled. And yes, cycling through them over and over for 5 days was amusing/
Hotel definitely has some kinks to work out, and the EUR 450/night they're trying to get is absurd. But for points, very well worth it.
I can make the same argument about points. It was, what, 180K for 5 nights or "12,000 SPG points a night"? So yeah, for that, it's hard to argue. Especially with the lovely breakfast and bar staff and the rooftop terrace.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Just read some of the bad reviews...Hope the management can improve the service, as I (Marriott Gold) have planned a trip there early July with my girlfriend (1 night on Points, 3 paid nights).
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:45 am

I’m sure I’m doing something wrong, but when I try to make reservations using points there seems to be an additional cash charge of €120 per night. I’m trying to book for 5 nights and am new to Marriott Rewards (coming from Starwood). Does Marriott charge extra when using points? Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Pippi
Does Marriott charge extra when using points?
No, you're looking at an upgraded room type.

Scroll down (and don't feel bad, it's a common error - the display is really poor).
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:00 pm

Scroll down (and don't feel bad, it's a common error - the display is really poor).
Thank you Kacee. I’ll return with a report after our stay.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:39 pm
Suspended

They hope everyone falls for it and pays money on top of points. Just like how Delta routinely displays more expensive flights first.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:44 pm

Actually for the five nights (7/11-16) there are no standard rates, but if I try to book it one night at a time, four of the nights are points only. I’m still a little confused.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pippi
Actually for the five nights (7/11-16) there are no standard rates, but if I try to book it one night at a time, four of the nights are points only. I’m still a little confused.
The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection in Edinburgh played this game on me last year. No availability for three nights on points without a surcharge, but I could book individual nights. Even the platinum telephone number agent -- back when they picked up the phone -- admitted something was fishy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.