Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

University Arms, Autograph Collection - Cambridge, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

University Arms, Autograph Collection - Cambridge, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2020, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Apologies, took me a while to post. Hopefully I’ll find time to do a proper review too.

Breakfast was included in my Member Welcome Back Rate. Service was better on the first day than the second. It was always friendly and well-intentioned, though. I sensed that some staff members were very new but the important thing was that they were doing their absolute best. They were actually very busy in the restaurant for our entire stay, from breakfast into the evening. The restaurant has a good reputation locally, and it was packed full of locals and other brits the entire time.

Due to covid, there was no buffet available. You essentially ordered all the items you wanted from a menu and they would be delivered to your table. As part of the local covid guidance, the staff tried to minimise their trips to the table, so this did make it more awkward for them to provide the attentive service they wanted to, and were probably used to. The quality of the breakfast items was high and the oats in a jar were particularly tasty. The sausages in the cooked breakfast were also delicious, as were the eggs. Overall, we were both very satisfied with the food.

Decent flat white. Included in breakfast. Strangely one of the staff on day two didn’t seem to think we could have flat whites, but we had already had one. I didn’t press the issue, as English was not their first language, and perhaps I didn’t communicate what I wanted very effectively.

The menu.

Cooked breakfast.

Fruit, oats with chocolate and other accoutrements. There was also fruit juice available, and yoghurt.
Great review, I assume it’s the same full offering by way of choosing breaking as an elite amenity?
Old Aug 24, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Great review, I assume it’s the same full offering by way of choosing breaking as an elite amenity?
I did not specifically enquire, I’m afraid, as I am Gold. I would be surprised if the breakfast offering was different for higher elites though.

Slight practical point for anyone thinking of visiting at the moment. The valet parking is not allowed due to covid, so the staff guide you to the car park and watch you park. This is not a barrel of laughs in a tight car park, especially when other guests have parked their SUV partially across the last spot. The parking also costs £30 a day, which is allegedly waived if you book a suite (it says this on the website but I’m unsure what the current policy is). There are perhaps 15 spaces in the entire underground car park, which has the advantage of being secure. They will not hold a space for you, as it is first come first served (apart from suites?). I’m told there is a car park nearby that is a similar rate and you can also park and ride. In fairness, the hotel offers very comprehensive and helpful advice regarding parking. I just stubbornly wanted to park at the hotel as it was a long drive back to the North East, and wanted to be able to be on the roads as quickly as possible. I was not aware that covid protocols forbade valet parking.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
I did not specifically enquire, I’m afraid, as I am Gold. I would be surprised if the breakfast offering was different for higher elites though.

Slight practical point for anyone thinking of visiting at the moment. The valet parking is not allowed due to covid, so the staff guide you to the car park and watch you park. This is not a barrel of laughs in a tight car park, especially when other guests have parked their SUV partially across the last spot. The parking also costs £30 a day, which is allegedly waived if you book a suite (it says this on the website but I’m unsure what the current policy is). There are perhaps 15 spaces in the entire underground car park, which has the advantage of being secure. They will not hold a space for you, as it is first come first served (apart from suites?). I’m told there is a car park nearby that is a similar rate and you can also park and ride. In fairness, the hotel offers very comprehensive and helpful advice regarding parking. I just stubbornly wanted to park at the hotel as it was a long drive back to the North East, and wanted to be able to be on the roads as quickly as possible. I was not aware that covid protocols forbade valet parking.
Personally I don’t like anyone driving my car, so this would have pleased me no end!!
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:15 pm

It seems that the hotel is not available any more. Anyone knows what is going on? Is the hotel leaving Marriott?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
It looks as though the hotel is no longer part of the Marriott franchise.

You can still book direct....

https://universityarms.com/
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Ouch. It lasted less than three years in Bonvoy.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:32 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
It looks as though the hotel is no longer part of the Marriott franchise.

You can still book direct....

https://universityarms.com/
They've always has a separate website with different branding/design...
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by yinw2013
It seems that the hotel is not available any more. Anyone knows what is going on? Is the hotel leaving Marriott?
You will be trying to book the hotel during a period when it is closed due to coronavirus restrictions. They are planning to reopen in May, when it is permitted to do so.

Here’s the Marriott website for the hotel: https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/tr...ph-collection/

It’s not uncommon for hotels to have a separate website that isn’t Marriott branded - I’ve seen this with several hotels.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:16 am

I suspect here may prove popular with ‘local’ Bonvoy member’s this Summer! Turnberry is another good value lux option. As is The Langley (for bookings made before April).
Old Mar 10, 2021, 4:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
I suspect here may prove popular with ‘local’ Bonvoy member’s this Summer! Turnberry is another good value lux option. As is The Langley (for bookings made before April).
Langley category changed earlier this month.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 4:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Very much still showing as available for May dates onwards when the hotel is expected to be able to reopen. No warnings about it leaving Marriott, so I would assume it is business as usual as part of Bonvoy.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
Langley category changed earlier this month.
Ah yes, I’m a month out! In that case, it’s no longer the best of value, especially compared to University Arms and Turnberry
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 9:57 am

Any recent feedback re. upgrades for elites? Titanium, and wondering if I should use a few SNA’s here.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Any recent feedback re. upgrades for elites? Titanium, and wondering if I should use a few SNA’s here.
Yes, also keen to gather some data points on this. Hope to stay here one weekend in July (my first stay after qualifying for Titanium!).
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by s1362083
Yes, also keen to gather some data points on this. Hope to stay here one weekend in July (my first stay after qualifying for Titanium!).
From what I gather last year they are pretty good on the upgrade front, however this Summer is a different game looking at rates and demand. Would be good to get a few more recent data points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.