Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Peru [Master Thread]

Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lamphs
12/6/21 - e-mail address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Peru [Master Thread]

Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
IMHO, 3 days isn't unreasonable if you want to figure that you may want one day to adjust to the altitude. For many travelers, Cusco and some of the nearby Inca sights will be the highest altitude you will reach in Peru. Machu Picchu is at a lower altitude..
I agree that 3 nights is a good length for Cusco. We didn't need to adjust to the altitude because we had just spent 4 days in Urubamba & Machu Picchu. There was plenty to do in Cusco. We enjoyed the cathedral, Sacsayhuaman, the history museum, and the Pisac ruins.

I can't comment much on the JW because we stayed at the Palacio del Inka, which we really liked. But we walked by the JW - it looked equally impressive from the exterior, and was in a great location. These 400-500 year old buildings are awe-inspiring.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, Ihg, Delta, Iberia, American, Southwest
Review Suite JW Marriott El Convento Cusco

We traveled to this incredible hotel in December 2017. Marriott bought the ruins of an old Augustine convent (monastery for monks) in 2007 and spent five years beautifully rebuilding and restoring into a very nice five star hotel. The hotel is located one block away from Plaza des Armas, on a street filled with restaurants, shops, museums, laundry, and mini markets. We loved the location and features.
Service is excellent - staff at check in, the concierge desk, porters and servers at breakfast were all pleasant and willing to do anything for you. The tea service in the lobby is very nice although it would have been nicer to have some cookies too!
We were impressed with the enormous spa has a heated indoor pool and offers a range of Inca-inspired treatments such as the Purification Sacrifice, which includes a warm chocolate wrap
We had the room with the Inca wall. I included a video with the room.
Really recommendable experience.
unclepants likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thanks. Much appreciated.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Was this the room you book or did you have an upgrade ?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Thanks. Much appreciated.
You are welcome!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rstidolph
Was this the room you book or did you have an upgrade ?
I booked the standard one. Upgrade due to status. This was the most expensive room of the hotel and the hotel tour explained a lot of details from this room.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
I too got upgraded to an incredible suite, albeit a different one from you - please see the cusco JW thread - maybe this can be merged.

I agree with your review, great hotel and highly recommended!
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flapster
I too got upgraded to an incredible suite, albeit a different one from you - please see the cusco JW thread - maybe this can be merged.

I agree with your review, great hotel and highly recommended!
I will come back next June
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I enjoyed the hotel and its location. However the hotel does not have a lounge. Also as a platinum I did not receive an upgrade.

That being said said I would stay again if I was in Cusco
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I enjoyed the hotel and its location. However the hotel does not have a lounge. Also as a platinum I did not receive an upgrade.

It also apparently does not provide airport connections, while at least one well-reviewed indie hotel for a fraction of the price a couple blocks away does. Which, along with the lack of a lounge, is leading me away from staying at this property (though I think I'll pop in and look around at least ).
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Amazing hotel!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:17 am
Suspended

This hotel provides airport connection under request. This location does not have a lounge but have another different amenities that I value more.
The platinum user who did not get an upgrade was really rare. I know at least 6 different platinum members who got upgrades. This property is a must for me and I would only change it for the JW.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:25 pm

Unfortunately our experience here was very different from others. My wife and I are both marriott golds and we stayed in this hotel on points for 3 nights last week with our 4 children. We booked our stay a few months in advance and I confirmed one room with a king bed and one with two beds with the reservations people at the hotel. They confirmed this for me and had upgraded the room with two beds to a family room. All seemed in order.
The day before we were to check in, the points for the two bed room were returned to our account. I checked on the app and the reservation for Mar 27-30 related to those points had been cancelled and replaced by another reservation for the same room for March 24-30, with four nights on cash and 2 on points. Very strange, but seemed to still be viable and could be straightened out at the desk when we arrived, certainly easier than trying to fix it from Paracas.
Upon arrival, we were advised that we only had a reservation for a king room, no reservation for the other four people. The front desk advised that there was only an Inca Wall room available with two beds for the first two nights of our stay and that we would have to go on a waiting list for the last night of our stay and that we would have to pay rack rate for that available room for two nights. They advised that we had cancelled our other room and that we had also booked for March 24-30 through Hotels.com and had no-showed for that stay. Since that stay had shown up in our account as having both cash and points components, it was clear that they were lying to us. I immediately went on the app and was able to rebook a two bed room for all three nights of our stay using points in a standard room (rather than the substandard Inca Wall room). This was the room that they claimed was not available. Another lie to start our stay. The front desk associate promised that they would look into how our reservation had gotten cancelled and replaced and contact me the next day with an explanation.
Finally able to go up to our rooms, we were given spa vouchers instead of drink vouchers. Even the drink vouchers we did receive for the other room were no good when we tried to use them for something other than pisco sours, even though we were told we could use them for water or soft drinks.
I also emailed the reservations people who had confirmed our family room to try to get an explanation for the cancellation.
I never received a response from the reservations people and, despite speaking to the front desk associate every day of our stay, were never given an explanation in regard to the cancellation. I completed the hotels survey after our stay highlighting these issues and received a boilerplate response from the guest services manager that also did not explain anything about what happened.
This is a beautiful facility, however, the service, for us, was a major let down. The rooms, for a luxury hotel, are quite small and really do not measure up to other luxury hotels we have stayed in. Overall, this hotel was a bit of a disappointment.

Last edited by farnorthtrader; Apr 6, 2018 at 8:03 am
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Delta Plat, AA Gold, Avis PresClub
When we went to Peru, we decided not to stay in Cusco right away as Cusco is pretty high elevation. We ended up staying in Urubamba at the Tambo Del Inka (SPG Autograph Collection) on Points. We originally booked 2 rooms on points, but after emailing with the hotel, decided one room would be plenty big with a roll away and it was. Hope to go back someday.
https://truptravels.com/2018/06/16/r...-sagrado-peru/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.