Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lamphs
12/6/21 - e-mail address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by truptravels
When we went to Peru, we decided not to stay in Cusco right away as Cusco is pretty high elevation. We ended up staying in Urubamba at the Tambo Del Inka (SPG Autograph Collection) on Points. We originally booked 2 rooms on points, but after emailing with the hotel, decided one room would be plenty big with a roll away and it was. Hope to go back someday.
https://truptravels.com/2018/06/16/r...-sagrado-peru/
Tambo del Inka is under Luxury Collection portfolio, not just an Autograph Collection.

i did stay at both TDI and JW Marriott Cusco. While the latter was very nice, TDI was in another league above.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Any comparisons between the JW and the Palacio del Inka?

Both look great and are the same amount of points, so having a hard time making a decision.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Free Agent
This is an excellent hotel located near Plaza de Armas and other attractions. I arranged an airport transfer upon landing for $15, which took only 15 minutes. Due to high occupancy, was not upgraded. This hotel has a high destination fee – roughly $40/night with taxes. For elites, the destination fee gives you 2 Pisco Sours a day, in-room supplementary oxygen (can be turned off on request for those of you wishing to acclimate faster), a $25 credit/day on Spa services (plus a 10% elite discount), and transportation to the airport. There are also many other activities available. Recommend the Monastery Tour of the hotel, the Pisco Sour class, and taking pictures with a baby alpaca in the mornings.

Base room was fine, and an average size. Bathroom had Aromatherapy Associates toiletries, and a rainfall shower that could have been a bit larger. A/C was a bit on the noisy side, and woke me up several times a night. Low fan setting is full throttle. Wifi was 9Mbps.

Breakfast in the restaurant is pretty good. It’s neat that they focus on Peruvian sourced traditional ingredients. There was a decent selection of hot foods plus a fancy omelet station, and a large selection of cold foods. Food tended to follow the Peruvian palate, so the cinnamon buns had frosting of almost pure cream cheese. Items were also less sweet, especially the freshly squeezed juices from local fruits. Not bad, just different. Food in the restaurant was excellent and high quality.

Spa prices are a bit high, but once you factor in the 10% elite discount and $25 voucher, it turns out to be about right, which was probably what the hotel was shooting for. All the staff are welcoming and friendly, with great service. I was originally booked at the Palacio del Inka, but switched to the JW due to the better location, and am very glad that I did. Would return here in a heartbeat!
Old May 3, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Condition One
This is an excellent hotel located near Plaza de Armas and other attractions. I arranged an airport transfer upon landing for $15, which took only 15 minutes. Due to high occupancy, was not upgraded. This hotel has a high destination fee – roughly $40/night with taxes. For elites, the destination fee gives you 2 Pisco Sours a day, in-room supplementary oxygen (can be turned off on request for those of you wishing to acclimate faster), a $25 credit/day on Spa services (plus a 10% elite discount), and transportation to the airport. There are also many other activities available. Recommend the Monastery Tour of the hotel, the Pisco Sour class, and taking pictures with a baby alpaca in the mornings.

Base room was fine, and an average size. Bathroom had Aromatherapy Associates toiletries, and a rainfall shower that could have been a bit larger. A/C was a bit on the noisy side, and woke me up several times a night. Low fan setting is full throttle. Wifi was 9Mbps.

Breakfast in the restaurant is pretty good. It’s neat that they focus on Peruvian sourced traditional ingredients. There was a decent selection of hot foods plus a fancy omelet station, and a large selection of cold foods. Food tended to follow the Peruvian palate, so the cinnamon buns had frosting of almost pure cream cheese. Items were also less sweet, especially the freshly squeezed juices from local fruits. Not bad, just different. Food in the restaurant was excellent and high quality.

Spa prices are a bit high, but once you factor in the 10% elite discount and $25 voucher, it turns out to be about right, which was probably what the hotel was shooting for. All the staff are welcoming and friendly, with great service. I was originally booked at the Palacio del Inka, but switched to the JW due to the better location, and am very glad that I did. Would return here in a heartbeat!
Mostly agree. Definitely nicer than the Palacio del Inka (we cut short our 3 night stay at the PDI after one night and moved to the JW due to lack of AC and old, slightly claustrophobia rooms in the older portion). No lounge, so you hang out in the bar/entry area. It's several easy blocks walk to the Plaza. The $40 resort fee is annoying. It's 2 Pisco Sours per stay, not per night IIRC. Upgraded rooms are quite spacious and nice. Standard rooms are perfectly acceptable for a couple on a short stay.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by farwest101
It's 2 Pisco Sours per stay, not per night IIRC
Maybe things have changed, but for a 3 night stay, my friend and I staying in separate rooms got 3 coupons each (three $25 spa coupons too). It was a lot of Pisco to drink
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Condition One
Maybe things have changed, but for a 3 night stay, my friend and I staying in separate rooms got 3 coupons each (three $25 spa coupons too). It was a lot of Pisco to drink
Just stayed here and can confirm it is 2 Pisco sours per night. Had a wonderful time. Staff is all super friendly and customer service is top notch. All the activities are fun and most of them are free. Cooking class and Pisco sour class were great...and the alpaca in the courtyard was fantastic.

I am only a gold and they included breakfast. Not sure if it is normal but a welcome treat. I have 2 nights coming for the placio del Inka and am seriously considering just changing it back to here...it's been that good!
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: CheckoutSaver.com
I stayed at this JW Marriott in 2019, the experience was phenomenal. Practically built into the wall with the 12 angle stone, service was impeccable, spa was mind blowing (we got a couples package with gold-mud massage, champagne, chocolate strawberries). Even got to hang out and pet Ponchita the Alpaca while we were there.

Highly recommend!
Old Dec 6, 2021, 6:05 pm

I was comparing this property to the Palacio del Inka. This property is about $100 more per night, at least for the dates I was looking at in April 2022. In addition there is a destination fee of ~40 USD per day. Thanks to the Lurkers, I obtained the e-mail address for this property (posted in the wiki), and asked what the desitination fee included as well as pointing out that all of the room rates include breakfast for two. I am Platinum and traveling solo. The property got back to me promptly and provided the following information re: destination fee:

· Access to the Press reader ( virtual newspaper)

· $25USD discount at the SPA during your stay.

· Daily access to internet

· Unlimited access to the coca tea station at the front desk

· Room oxygen complimentary

· 2 pisco sours

· Historical Tour

· Pisco lessons at the Qespi bar

· Laundry service

· Private transportation service from the hotel to the airport.

I pushed back a bit as some of these items aren't daily, but per stay. For a six night stay, it would be 240 USD for almost nothing + another 600 USD for the room difference. I received a slightly different response.

Thank you for your prompt response. In order to your request, let me inform you that the destination fee is daily and it includes the breakfast. Also, you will have improved internet because you are a Platinum member.

In the same way, let me inform you that the destination Fee includes other activities like Cooking class with the cheff, Pisco Sour class, Historical tour of the convent, the market in our patio, Panchita lovers and our Happy Hour Qespi.

The bottom line is that the destination fee would not be waived for Platinums and above. I don't see much value in this property from a solo travelers perspective, especially at $100 more per night for the room vs. the Palacio del Inka. Maybe if I booked 6 nights as 6 stays, there may be some more value?
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I made two separate reservations (2 and 3 nights) with federal government rate. There is no destination amenity charge. Hope that they won’t give me a surprise at checkout. I hope that my Titanium status will help to avoid this charge if they want to charge me that fee.

Is there any reason that I should consider Palacio del Inka, instead, which does have the destination amenity charge for federal government rate?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I made two separate reservations (2 and 3 nights) with federal government rate. There is no destination amenity charge. Hope that they won’t give me a surprise at checkout. I hope that my Titanium status will help to avoid this charge if they want to charge me that fee.

Is there any reason that I should consider Palacio del Inka, instead, which does have the destination amenity charge for federal government rate?
I don't know as I don't have any government business in Cusco.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:34 pm

Pool at this (or other) hotels?

Hi, we are planning a trip to Peru and considering the two Marriott properties in Cusco (this one and Palacio del Inka) and The one in aguas calientes (Tambo del Inka). The kids really want a place with a pool. This one seems to have a pool and I saw a TripAdvisor review that said it was good for families. Is that correct? The other property in Cusco seems to have a relaxation area with a pool, but I could imagine that other people might get annoyed if there were kids there. But not sure if my inference is correct.

Along those lines, would the pool at TDI be kid friendly?

Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by crimson12
aguas calientes (Tambo del Inka)
Tambo del Inka is in Urubamba, not Aguas Calientes. You can still use it as a jumping point to Machu Picchu, but it's two hours or so from Aguas Calientes.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by bjdj94
Tambo del Inka is in Urubamba, not Aguas Calientes. You can still use it as a jumping point to Machu Picchu, but it's two hours or so from Aguas Calientes.
My mistake, thanks for the clarification!

Our initial thought was Urubamba, then MP, then a couple of days in Cusco to unwind. The only question is where the kids could get the pool experience they want...
Old Jul 3, 2022, 4:39 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kmxu

Is there any reason that I should consider Palacio del Inka, instead, which does have the destination amenity charge for federal
government rate?
I had amazing stays at JW. The first stay was upgraded to a Luxury Suite via SNA. The second stay was also upgraded to a Luxury Suite without SNA. SNA was rejected initially for the second stay of three nights. My plan changed and the first night was cancelled. No destination charge was imposed for federal government rates. I did not have time to use any of the amenities anyway.

My wife said that JW treated like a king. They did offer exceptional services. We did take the tour of the hotel to learn its Inca connection. The only small negative was that it was difficult to find the right foods for breakfast. There were too many choices, and not all of them was tasty. I ate dinner outside because it was very expensive in the hotel.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: AC 50K | WS Gold | Bonvoy Titanium | Hilton Gold | Hyatt Globalist
Did a 3-day remote work trip here. Absolutely one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at.
- Location was extremely central and a very short walk to Plaza de Armas (city centre). Quick 30 minute Uber ride from the airport. The Uber driver might ask you for an additional 5 PEN for parking since they don't have a pickup / dropoff lane.
- The staff were some of the best I've met. They've all remembered me by name throughout my stay. They were super polite and helpful. The attention to detail made me feel like I was in Asia / Japan.
- The hotel used to be a convent and had lots going on. Make sure to book all the tours, but especially the Pisco Sour tour, the convent tour, and the garden tour, where the chef walked me through the garden, introduced me to the different types of plants that he tends to, and made me tea / a special meal

You should also see the hotel alpaca and the local people making textile products in the courtyard!

- The daily $25 USD destination fee included these things:

unlimited laundry was very helpful. I had my laundry done on the same day and saved me lots of time. I did not need 2 x 3 days = 6 pisco sour vouchers, though!
- Breakfast was really cool. Especially try the dishes on the indigenous cart!

- Don't forget to book the free shuttle to the airport from the hotel for when you leave! They came right on time.
- The first day I stayed in a room, and they upgraded me to a large suite (one of three suites) for the last two nights. It was huge and very much appreciated!
- There was an assortment of teas at the lobby, including coca tea, but I recommend the muña -- mint tea. Make sure you take time to adjust to the altitude change.
- Would absolutely love to come back here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.