Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lamphs
12/6/21 - e-mail address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks to the 2 most recent reviews.

BTW - I know it might be needed, but it is pretty funny to read that oxygen is included in the rate of the room

Cheers.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks to the 2 most recent reviews.

BTW - I know it might be needed, but it is pretty funny to read that oxygen is included in the rate of the room

Cheers.
Actually I think that's more of a gimmick than anything else. It's not going to do much good in the room where you are mainly resting. When a person could really use the boost of oxygen is when you're climbing around the Incan ruins or some of the steep streets in Cusco. This hotel, as well as many others, has on demand coca tea in the lobby, which is considered a remedy for altitude sickness. I sipped on it every chance I had (hopefully there are no random drug tests in my immediate future) and I felt good, other than a being a little lightheaded on the first day.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Is there a particular side of the hotel that is quieter but also would afford some views?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Is there a particular side of the hotel that is quieter but also would afford some views?
I understand that from some rooms on the top floor(4th) you can see a small part of the top of the cathedral or some other churches, nevertheless I would pick up the rooms with the small terrace overlooking the courtyard, where you can seat to read or relax.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:25 am

Last report in the exec lounge sticky is that this property has no exec lounge, but provides buffet breakfast in the restaurant. Can anyone confirm that's still the case? If so, please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx!

Cheers.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
JW Marriott Cusco

I'm staying here now and can confirm that there is no lounge but they offer full breakfast buffet, which is quite good, along with the service.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HHonors Gold, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
I'm staying here now and can confirm that there is no lounge but they offer full breakfast buffet, which is quite good, along with the service.
DFWFairy, just want to confirm as a Gold Elite, you were given free breakfast for 2 for each day. I've seen reports on tripadvisor of Golds being given only the first day free. Thanks!
Old May 12, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Two stays

We spent two nights (separate) at the JW Cusco before and after our trip to Machu Picchu in April. My only regret is that we didn’t spend more time here.
When we arrived we were encouraged to have a seat and were served cocoa tea while we were checked in. I just had to hand our passports and credit card to someone who brought us the paperwork to sign. Note: This is the first hotel that has EVER asked for our AAA card after booking an AAA rate.
Both stays we were upgraded to suites. The first one was one the 3rd floor (top) and had a view of the mountains. It was huge for two people for one night. Our amenity was wine and chocolates.
The second stay was also a suite but in the basement (-2) and had windows with a view of a rock wall which I like to think was an Inca wall but I am not sure. During that stay we checked in at 9pm and checked out at 6 am. Way too short of time. We enjoyed red wine and fresh fruit and cheese as our amenity.
Both visits included the breakfast buffet where they address you by name as soon as you tell them your room number.

Excellent stays. Would not hesitate to recommend or return.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:58 am

recent stay

As part of recent trip to Peru, I enjoyed a multi-night stay at the JW Cusco after staying at the JW Lima (which I also did a review of - see JW Lima thread).

I must stay, Marriott has totally nailed it in Peru! They only have 2 properties there (JW Lima and JW Cusco), and both are absolutely amazing!

While Lima is a large, metropolitan city, Cusco, at approx. 11,000 feet elevation, is more a like a small village nestled in the mountains. A striking difference between Lima and Cusco was that Cusco really had that old-town charm with a central city courtyard (Plaza del Armas) and narrow cobblestone roads strewn with shops and cafes.

The JW Cusco is also ideally situated. It's about a 20 minute drive from CUZ, costing about 40-50 soles (~ $20) for the entire vehicle. It's about a 10 minute walk to Plaza del Armas.

In keeping with traditional architecture, the hotel is designed with 4 sides surrounding a central open-air courtyard. Very stunning! There's also a very nice indoor sitting area with a fireplace.

Upon check-in, though I am platinum, no upgrade was given because one was not available for entire duration of my extended stay and I didn't want to switch rooms mid-stay. I am confident that if I would have been offered one if that were not the case, as others in previous posts had reported good success with platinum upgrades. The room I had was the room I booked - floor level with a view of the courtyard. I was perfectly pleased with it.

There is no Concierge Lounge. However, as others had noted, breakfast in their hotel restaurant was complimentary 7 days a week. And wow - what a spread!! It had different cheeses, meats, pastries, fruits, yogurts, made-to-order omelet station, and FRESH-SQUEEZED juices!

All staff were cheerful and eager to assist. It's virtually at full occupancy year-round and for very good reason.

Enjoy your stay - you won't be disappointed!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold Elite
Simply Stunning!

The JW Marriott Cusco may be one of the most beautiful hotels in which I have ever stayed. The street-facing exterior is nondescript; but, like so many buildings in Cusco, the hotel is arranged around a central courtyard that is elegantly outfitted with fountains and historically and culturally appropriate furnishings. My partner and I spent a significant chunk of time wandering around the property taking photographs of everything!

Breakfast is a highlight, and if you're a Gold or Platinum Elite, it's complimentary (in lieu of an executive lounge)! I loved the "egg station," where you can order eggs prepared in any fashion you might desire with all the accompaniments immediately available. The variety of meats, cheeses, breads, pastries, cereals, and juices was overwhelming!

I'll also put a plug in for Pirqa, the hotel restaurant in the evening that is elegant and offers a menu and quality comparable to the best restaurants in Cusco.

Service throughout the hotel is very personal and enthusiastic if a little unpolished at times. One gets the sense that the staff really want to please, and sometimes this translates into an overabundance of attention (certainly a better alternative to indifference)!

When in Cusco, the JW Marriott is a must!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:12 pm

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: WN A List & CP, Marriott Platinum
One of the best

My wife and I stayed here back in September, and it is one of, if not our favorite Marriott properties.

Behind the desk is a Waterford Crystal 'chandelier' with Gold mirrors behind that forms a Sun-like, glittering display.

One final note - We'd recommend doing the 6 pm tour (starts in lobby) of the hotel that showcases the history of the property. There are Incan walls in the basement (behind glass), walls and floors from the monastery days, and even a book detailing the 5+ year project and restoration. Outside the hotel you can see still standing Incan Walls that form the first base layer for the shops and Pisco Museum.

Truly a one of a kind property. Staff is extremely friendly, its a great location, and the property is beautiful.

Thanks,
Nate
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by nate154
One final note - We'd recommend doing the 6 pm tour (starts in lobby) of the hotel that showcases the history of the property. There are Incan walls in the basement (behind glass), walls and floors from the monastery days, and even a book detailing the 5+ year project and restoration. Outside the hotel you can see still standing Incan Walls that form the first base layer for the shops and Pisco Museum.

Thanks,
Nate
Thanks for the tip!

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Amazing....

We stayed here for 6 nights (first 3 nights at Tambo del Inka, followed by one night at the Sanctuary), and then over to Marriott Lima for 5 more.

We still talk about this hotel. And I read a few posts that said Cusco was not a good location to stay in and certainly not for 6 nights.....wrong. We could have easily stayed longer. We had a wonderful time.

I would recommend buying the fabulous coffee table book on the building of this property. It was under $40 and we are so glad we have it. The pictures are amazing.

We had a suite as well....our balcony overlooked the front of the property which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Staff were all amazing. Every last one of them.

Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:35 pm

I booked a room with double beds but it says a limit of 3 people. We have a party of 4. Do you think we'll have am issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.