Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

W Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:33 pm

Deleted . . . will update

Last edited by Kobetraveller; Sep 8, 2018 at 12:33 am
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Just had a one week stay here. Definitely one of the nicer hotels in KL (especially because it's new).

What I did not like:
- Check in/check out desk could use improvement. Person managed to get my name wrong (despite looking at my passport) and tried to check me in as a different person for a different length of time. Took a bit of arguing with the check-in person to establish my true name (why she decided my name should be completely different from that in my passport I would never understand). On check out folio was not emailed to me despite check-out person agreeing to do so.
- No free laundry/pressing (unlike most hotels in region)

What I liked:
- Really nice room and swimming pool
- Best breakfast in KL I've ever had - highly recommend it. Great spread, but more importantly, great quality (the quality part is very difficult to get in KL!). The restaurant also had good meals (lunch/dinner)
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:17 am

Just checked out today after a 1-night stay, which I upgraded to a Studio Suite using an SNA. Not a fan...

* Throughout the hotel, their attempt to look "chic and funky" just looks cheap and cliché. The lobby might have looked "cool" 15 years ago, but now...
* The "design touches" (such as the LED-lit wire installations in the lobby or the charms on the hanging lamp wire) fail to impress, the use of bright pink and lime in the room is very jarring, and there are far too many mirrors in the room.
* There was an unbearable stench of the sewer coming from the bathroom shower, which permeated throughout the room and necessitated a room swap late in the evening.
* The qualify of the materials and finishing is pretty bad. Scratches and scruffs everywhere, after barely a few months of operations.
* Service still a bit too green for my liking, with neither the polish nor the energy yet which you would normally expect.
* Location is not bad, but would have been better if there was immediate access to a mall or F&B complex - you have to walk 5-10 mins to get to the nearest complex, which will usually involve getting into the heat and/or rain.
* The rate is way too high - MYR 800 per night, when you can have either the St Regis or the new Four Seasons for MYR 100 more.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stargold
Just checked out today after a 1-night stay, which I upgraded to a Studio Suite using an SNA. Not a fan...

* Location is not bad, but would have been better if there was immediate access to a mall or F&B complex - you have to walk 5-10 mins to get to the nearest complex, which will usually involve getting into the heat and/or rain.
* The rate is way too high - MYR 800 per night, when you can have either the St Regis or the new Four Seasons for MYR 100 more.
It's located in the tropics so yeah, it's hot and humid. Should they have built a shopping mall just for this purpose?

Prices are on the higher side even though they came down quite a bit to ~700 now (599 on our corp rate). Four Seasons is consistently 1150 MYR for the most basic room without breakfast so not really the same league.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
It's located in the tropics so yeah, it's hot and humid. Should they have built a shopping mall just for this purpose?
Many luxury hotels in KL sit on top of, or is located adjacent to, a mall. Which part of "it would have been more convenient" is challenging?
Prices are on the higher side even though they came down quite a bit to ~700 now (599 on our corp rate). Four Seasons is consistently 1150 MYR for the most basic room without breakfast so not really the same league.
It was 800 vs 900 on the weekend I was there, and the latter was booked on FSPP so included $100 spa credit, full breakfast and a room upgrade. The W would also have been 900 on Starwood Privilege rate with the same benefits.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:42 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Hi guys! Need some advice here

I’m checking in next week and applied a SNA when I reserved a deluxe room back in Oct. this morning I got an email and all notification that my SNA however when I checked the app it shows a room type of 1 bed room suite ? So which is which or should I call the hotel.

thanks
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:54 pm
xar

Sorry forgot the append my screenshot
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:55 pm
xar

Originally Posted by xar
Sorry forgot the append my screenshot

Last edited by xar; Jan 5, 2019 at 2:36 am
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:44 am
xar

Update.
Just came back from a 1 night stay at "W" KL. I booked an entry level room and upgraded to the 1br Marvelous Suite. I did apply one SNA which was rejected (but hey it turned out well)

The check in was on the 8th floor. Looked for an SPG counter, did not see any but didn't matter as there was no queue.
FDA welcomed we back as a PPE and informed me of the upgrade but gave his apologies that my room was not yet ready. I said it was fine since its only 12 noon and standard check in was at 3pm.
The welcome gift was either a "W" Tumbler or 1000 points. (Somehow, breakfast was already inclusive so i took the points)
As the property did not have a lounge, they invited me to the Woobar to order any drinks i wanted between 1830-1930hrs.
Room was ready by 12.30pm and was allocated the Marvelous Suite with the view of the petronas twin towers. The view from the toilet overlooks the WET pool as well.
Breakfast had a good spread and in addition they offer other "made to order" options which suits local or western palates.
Did not find any problems with the service folks whom most of them managed to greet me by name.
Chatted with the front desk manager who shared with me that currently there have 2 types of suites in their inventory which are Studio and Marvellous. They are in progress to add in WOW and EWOW suites (both not elig for SNA unfortunately)
KLCC Shopping Mall was about a 5min walk away (non-sheltered journey)

Only issue i had was the party music from the WET pool. My stay was over a thursday night and the resident DJ went on till i think 2-3am so if you are a light sleeper might want to request for ear plugs. I was told this was their current solution when i shared this feedback with them.

Overall a good experience.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by xar
Update.
As the property did not have a lounge, they invited me to the Woobar to order any drinks i wanted between 1830-1930hrs.
Me: The bottle of Krug grande cuvée, please

Barkeep: Yes, sir. That will be (insane price).

Me: Wait. They just said I could have anything I wanted for free.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:25 am
xar

"any drinks you want from the menu" which unfortunately didn't see any krugs ....
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:53 am
xar

Welcome Gift. Tumbler or 1000 points

Bedroom

Living Room
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member
That mention of the wet bar reminds me - I had some drinks there a couple of times recently (the last in December) and the second time they had me authorise the payment in RM, and then sneakily modified the transaction a few days later to GBP, with a huge markup! My card company gave me the money back in rewards points when I challenged this so all was fine, but it certainly suggests you should check your card receipt carefully to detect unauthorized DCC.

Pity, because it's rather nice sitting at the bar with a view of the pool and KLCC.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:17 pm

I had a similar experience to xar. I stayed here on the 31st for NYE. Paid cash for a Marvellous Suite to ensure I got a view of the Petronas Twin Towers and towards KLCC to glimpse the fireworks. The suite did indeed have views of the Towers, but only from the bathroom, which was slightly disappointing. I experienced troubles with the AC where I couldn't get the ambient temperature in the bedroom low enough for a comfortable sleep. I had it set to 16 degrees but the room temp didn't dip below 21.5 the entire stay. I hope this is a thermostat or eco issue that can be resolved rather than having installed underpowered ACs for the room size.

My room (1807 I think?) overlooked the WET pool and it was indeed quite noisy, but I was expecting this as it was NYE so it didn't bother me too much. In anticipation for the noise, house-keeping had left W ear plugs next to the bed -- I have never seen W-branded ear plugs before. I was not offered any upgrade; this may be because the Marvellous Suite is the best available room class currently as xar alluded to, but I also did not received any welcome note or personalised experience beyond the offer of the tumbler as the welcome amenity in lieu of 1,000 points (I did choose the tumbler, and it's quite good, double insulated!). I enjoyed the Nespresso machine in the room, as not many KL properties in my experience have had one -- even the KL MO does not.

Didn't check out the drinks because timing didn't work for me -- they're taking the idea of "happy hour" quite literally by only offering Plats a comp drink between 1830 and 1930. Breakfast certainly was exceptional; smaller than the likes of the Westin, but seems to have a great range of options, as well as a small menu that guests can order from. The staff were particularly accomodating at breakfast, and on New Year's Day they extended the breakfast hours till midday, which I thought was excellent. I saw the GM walking around and observing for a solid period of time.

I like how they have a consistent ambient music experience from when you enter the first set of elevators from the ground floor, to the main lobby on level 8, to the elevators heading to your room's floor. The music follows you uninterrupted all the way through. The property is a short walk to Suria KLCC, but it is outdoors, and it's just far enough to get a bit hot and sweaty if walking across in the middle of the day. The footpath/sidewalk is adequate, but not excellent, so if you have a pram/pusher or are dragging bags to Suria KLCC to catch public transport, expect some mild difficulties.

fwiw templar42, on check out, the agent attempted to DCC my payment of my stay as well. I also had this happen this trip at the Sheraton Imperial last week too. Perhaps the DCC scam is becoming more popular in KL again.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by zzap
I enjoyed the Nespresso machine in the room, as not many KL properties in my experience have had one -- even the KL MO does not.
The Renaissance in Kuala Lumpur has a Nespresso coffeemaker in rooms, or at least did when I stayed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.