Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Trio Hotel Healdsburg, CA (Residence Inn brand) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

Does anyone know about this hotel that is due to open soon? It looks like it will be branded as a Residence Inn but was originally supposed to be an independent hotel.

Hotel Trio Healdsburg: Healdsburg Extended Stay Hotels
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I've been considering it for a stay later this year. It definitely seems like it may be more trendy than a typical RI. Then again, I'm disappointed that the room types and sizes are all pretty small compared to the typical RI.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Googling for news articles about this hotel confirms that it was not presented as a Residence Inn during the approval process. But the room types, room descriptions, full kitchens, complimentary breakfast, and free Internet (and apparently no evening social hours) are consistent with new-construction Residence Inns with bars (such as the Residence Inn by Marriott Portland Downtown/Pearl District).

On Marriott.com, the Hotel Trio Healdsburg still does not have "Residence Inn" as part of its name (and perhaps it never will), but it has a Residence Inn logo online: Hotel Trio Healdsburg: Healdsburg Extended Stay Hotels

On the hotel's own website, there's currently no mention at all of the Residence Inn affiliation: https://www.hoteltrio.com

It's almost as if the developer set out to build a hotel to Residence Inn standards, fully intending to be affiliated with Residence Inn for the marketing and reservation system purposes -- but wanting the coolness factor of not being seen as a chain hotel.

For Marriott Rewards members, this means earning only half as many points on the room rate than if this had been an Autograph Collection property.

Last edited by Horace; Mar 11, 2018 at 9:13 pm
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
It's always nice to see more hotel choices appearing in Sonoma County. Years ago I used to use Santa Rosa as a base for weekend trips until the hotels there got too pricey for my taste. Of course, this RI is not likely to be cheap. I'd expect weekend rates well north of $200/night. And it's already designated Cat-7.

Healdsburg is a nice wine-country town with a lively little downtown core. This hotel is about a mile away from that, though, so it doesn't provide the walkable access that otherwise makes the town a desirable place to visit.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
It's always nice to see more hotel choices appearing in Sonoma County. Years ago I used to use Santa Rosa as a base for weekend trips until the hotels there got too pricey for my taste. Of course, this RI is not likely to be cheap. I'd expect weekend rates well north of $200/night. And it's already designated Cat-7.

Healdsburg is a nice wine-country town with a lively little downtown core. This hotel is about a mile away from that, though, so it doesn't provide the walkable access that otherwise makes the town a desirable place to visit.
If you seek a Sonoma County base for weekend day trips then consider the Fairfield Inn in Sebastopol. Funky little wine country town.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
They are going to charge $18/night for parking. That's disappointing, and not typical for this area.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ehallison
They are going to charge $18/night for parking. That's disappointing, and not typical for this area.
Maybe a resort fee is coming.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Horace
It's almost as if the developer set out to build a hotel to Residence Inn standards, fully intending to be affiliated with Residence Inn for the marketing and reservation system purposes -- but wanting the coolness factor of not being seen as a chain hotel.
That was my thought as well. And Sonoma does need more mid-price hotel options.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Cat 8. Opening June 2018.

Situated in the heart of Sonoma County, Hotel Trio is the ideal base for exploring the California Wine Country.

Hotel website:

Hotel Trio Healdsburg: Healdsburg Extended Stay Hotels

While it's pet friendly you'd probably have to sell your pet's kidney to pay the fees!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Just booked a 2 night stay in October. Tucked away in the list of taxes and fees is a $18/day "destination amenity fee". However, neither the website nor the confirmation e-mail lists out what this amenity fee covers. Called Marriott reservations and they do not have any details either. They called the front desk, and the associate told them that the destination amenity fee covers "breakfast, premium internet, parking, and hotel shuttle". Considering that 3 of the 4 items are advertised as complimentary on the website, and fourth item (premium internet) is an elite benefit, this fee is a complete money grab.

Oh, when asked about whether the fee is waived or reduced for platinum members, there were no clear answer, which means it's no.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

While it's pet friendly you'd probably have to sell your pet's kidney to pay the fees!
Well not quite, but it is $150/stay, up to 2 dogs.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:38 am
Community Director Emerita

Rewards category 6
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:26 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Has anyone stayed here since it opened?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:17 am

I stayed here in September for one night. Overall a great option if you're looking for someplace to sleep and shower (and maybe breakfast or play in the pool). It can get pricey in peak season but it's the only chain hotel option that's not in downtown santa rosa which is just too far if you are wine tasting and dining in healdsburg. and it's a better hotel than either the courtyard or the hyatt in santa rosa.

In terms of booking, they had blocked Saturday night award redemptions online even though base rooms (studios without a balcony) were available for sale on the website. Platinum CS was of no help and told me to call the property. I called the property and the front desk clerk booked me "as an exception" because i was platinum. This issue may have been addressed as availability seems to be fine on the website... will see how peak season in september plays out and if there are capacity controls that just haven't been reached yet for summer bookings

The hotel has a good design aesthetic, does not feel like a cookie cutter residence inn but does still feel like a mid-priced hotel from layout and fixture quality. Location is on Dry Creek Road by the Best Western. Very convenient for wine tasting. A little over a mile to Healdsburg square so a long walk for going into town for dinner, shopping and such. They do have bikes available and there is a shuttle that runs every half hour into town (drops off and picks up in the parking lot behind the square right by Bear Republic Brewery). The shuttle is complimentary (I do not recall if there was a destination fee or not) but only runs until 8 so for dinner will take you into town but you're likely on your own to get back. We got a lyft back to the hotel no problem.

Check in was efficient and pleasant. Status recognized but no upgrade provided. I asked but I forget if they told me they don't upgrade or one bedroom suites were sold out. Didn't really care given a one night stay in a residence inn. A half bottle of seghesio zin was provided.

Rooms were obviously brand spanking new. Standard residence inn layout with TV breaking up the studio room between bed and living area. Bathroom was large-ish with paul mitchell toiletries.

We did not try the complimentary breakfast. Nor the pool. We were really just there to sleep and freshen up.

Hotel served its purpose well. Will definitely return.
SanDiego1K and Thunderroad like this.

Last edited by boolean64; Nov 6, 2018 at 5:22 am
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Booked an award here for July as the rates are almost $700 out the door. Any updates on elite recognition. Seems like a convenient location for dining at Single Thread Farms which is only a few minutes away.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Elite, Southwest Companion
Just had a 3 night stay here. Managed to find point award availability, which was nice. Property had its pros and cons.

Pros
-Room was large and comfortable. Newer property so furniture did not feel worn. We were given a handicap room for whatever reason so I don't know if that meant a larger room than standard or not.
-kitchenette was good, standard RI set up.
-Location was convenient enough. Could walk about 15-20 min into town or take their shuttle, which was fine for us.
-Across the street from good grocery store.
-Pool looked nice though we didn't use it.
-breakfast was acceptable--a good variety of eggs, meats, yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, etc. Not the highest quality, but not the cheapest overall.

Cons
-Destination fee. These infuriate me because you really get very little, if any, value out of them, they're such a joke.
Apparently you get wine and shuttle, but what if you don't use either? I didn't drink the wine and the shuttle stops at 9pm...Who knows what the actual benefits of this were as the checkin person never explained them, I just saw mention of those on the website.
-As Plat Elite, I should have been offered welcome amenity option of points or f&b; however, I was not upon check in. I know the rules so I later went down when I remembered and mentioned this and they scrolled through the check in and were like, yes, you were given points. Sigh. How does one even argue this benefit if the checkin person didn't actually verbalize this, though, during the checkin process, yet they later verified they were being applied to the stay. I let it go as I really didn't want to elevate anything to receive the $ if not offered, but it was pretty irritating.

Would I return? Depends. You can see that the cons really irritated me, maybe they wouldn't bother you. The destination fee sucks, they're all money grabs as far as I'm concerned, just bake it into the price of the room if you really need it. The room rate was, I believe around $330-$400/night when I was staying, though being on points I try to chill out on negatives as much as possible. Healdsburg hotels are generally not inexpensive so I suppose if it was a good rate I would stay again. But if I had to pay comparable or more than that cash at this hotel I'd stay around the corner at our favorite luxury inn where we've stayed a few times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.