Wiki Posts
Search

Paris - best use of rewards points?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Paris - best use of rewards points?

Hi -

I have a ton of Chase points and looking to spend some on a 4 night stay in Paris. Is there any consensus on which SPG is most worth the points? So far it seems there is apathy towards just about all of them.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:29 pm

not sure what your question is. chase points cannot be converted to SPG, and vice versa.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

They can be transferred to Marriott - so same thing. I am asking which is the best hotel in either SPG or Marriott to use points on for a stay.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I would say it would be a very rare redemption to make it worth moving Chase points to Marriott. For a Cat 5 hotel at 12,000 SPG, you would need to transfer 36,000 UR points. If you have CSR, that's $540 in travel value. With CSP, it would be $450. Even without one of those, you're spending $360 in UR, which is likely more than a room would cost.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Sounds like the best value is the Park Hyatt at 30K points.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
I, too, have a large amount of Ultimate Rewards points that I use rarely. But lots of sources convinced me these points are best used for high end Hyatt Hotels and long international flights. So I also booked the Park Hyatt Vendome. If you call Hyatt, you can upgrade to a suite for 60% more points.

Last edited by pageboy; Mar 11, 2018 at 8:46 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I like the idea of staying in the Marais, which is where one of the Renaissance properties is located. But I would have to then spend 5 nights (they offer a 5th night free) to make it worth it - which would bring the points down to 32K vs. 30K. But I dont think I want to spend 5 nights in a single spot.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
Thanks. Sounds like the best value is the Park Hyatt at 30K points.
None of the Marriott properties can compare with PHV. PdG may be closest with SPG.

I would go with Park Hyatt, especially the room rates are usually significantly higher than the Marriott and Starwood properties, if you're calculating $/points value and you have plenty of points.

Last edited by CIT85; Mar 12, 2018 at 3:57 pm
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: Some...
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
I like the idea of staying in the Marais, which is where one of the Renaissance properties is located.
Be aware that The Renaissance "Paris Republique" is not in the Marais, despite what they advertise on the website. It's actually closer to "les Grands Boulevards". On the french version, they even tell it's close to "Gare du Nord" which 1) not exactly true either 2) not very appealing.

So if I had to choose between PH Vendome and Renaissance Republique, I'd take the PH. If you want to visit le Marais, you'll have to walk (or take the subway) in both cases.

The closest hotel from le Marais (within SPG, Marriot, WoH or Hilton) would be "Les Bains", from SPG Design Hotel.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Best, or best value? We stayed at the Marriott Rive Gauche a couple of years ago. Easy transportation to the city/sights and lower points requirement, iirc.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by CPRich
Best, or best value? We stayed at the Marriott Rive Gauche a couple of years ago. Easy transportation to the city/sights and lower points requirement, iirc.
Thanks for the feedback -- I booked this a few months back for a trip at the end of the month... Seemed like a bargain, and was one of the few Paris hotels that had a room that would sleep 3 for my kids (yeah, "First World Problems", as absent an upgrade they will be in a nicer room than we will have).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.