Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman [Master Thread]

Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman [Master Thread]

Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by zagguru
Any platinum recognition? How did you like the property? Do you know how it compares to the other Marriott properties on the island?
Booked a standard room (would have been in the tower on the wrong side of the road, overlooking the grass) with points, got upgraded to an equivalent room in the ocean view tower on the right side of the road. No further Platinum/Ambassador recognition.

We had issues with housekeeping, and they recovered by giving us 50% of one day's worth of points.

The property was very nice. We had dinner at the Westin one night and at the Marriott one night, and all three properties looked pretty much equivalent to us from the public spaces we saw -- no idea what the rooms would have looked like. We ate at the Ritz Carlton a few times. Food prices were very high, but not unreasonable when compared to other places (i.e. everything was expensive on Grand Cayman)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Thanks! Do you remember if the pools were heated?
We were there in july so i'm not sure if they were naturally warm or if they were heating them, but both pools were very comfortable and a little bit on the warm side.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:56 pm

A bit ridiculous in my opinion but the Ritz charges $25 each for a fridge and microwave per day in addition to there already steep resort fees at $85 a night.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Does anyone have a recent experience at this hotel? Thanks

Last edited by jimdarcy; Apr 15, 2019 at 2:57 pm
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Does anyone have a recent experience at this hotel? Thanks
Staying here now, booked on points .. Titanium Elite .. Upgraded from garden view room to ocean view room, but had to ask at check-in, and they changed the room. Received free breakfast for the first two days - they gave a card that said it was valid March 3rd - April 21st ("in appreciation of your loyalty") - so it seems like some sort of temporary promotion/benefit for status? Not really sure.

I can say there's no way I'd pay the rate of $1k/night for a room here. I just don't see the value, since nothing would be included. There's one semi-large pool, and one small pool for toddlers. I'm sure the beach is comparable to any hotel on the 7 mile beach. Sure, everyone is nice and says hello - but you get charged a mandatory gratuity (service charge) on pretty much everything, and are expected to leave a tip on top of that. Chairs at the pool have to be claimed in the morning, or you are going to be out of luck. I just really hate doing that myself, but it's a necessity if you want a chair. So you go down in the morning, and have an attendant put the mandatory cushion on the chair you want and they'll put some towels on it. You'd see chairs "reserved" this way sometimes the entire day - not even used - poolfront. But that's the system they have. And there's not nearly enough chairs at the main pool for everyone that wants one, so if you go out there in the afternoon, you aren't going to have a chair.

I'm sure, if you were actually paying for a room, that there's got to be much better room options in other hotels that are not only much better rooms, but probably closer to the beach and hotel pool as well (the Ritz is pretty huge - we have a long walk if we are going anywhere that isn't close to our side of the hotel). Since we were upgraded to oceanside, it wasn't that bad to get to the pool, but our original standard room would have been a bit of a walk each time. Also there's no kids club as in many other Ritz - instead there's the Kids Ambassador activities, which is you pay $100 per child for a 4 hour time-frame of an arranged activity for them (snorkeling, nature stuff, etc). That would have been a nice complement to a kids club, but don't care for the fact that it's a replacement for one.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Eryeal
Staying here now, booked on points .. Titanium Elite .. Upgraded from garden view room to ocean view room, but had to ask at check-in, and they changed the room. Received free breakfast for the first two days - they gave a card that said it was valid March 3rd - April 21st ("in appreciation of your loyalty") - so it seems like some sort of temporary promotion/benefit for status? Not really sure.

I can say there's no way I'd pay the rate of $1k/night for a room here. I just don't see the value, since nothing would be included. There's one semi-large pool, and one small pool for toddlers. I'm sure the beach is comparable to any hotel on the 7 mile beach. Sure, everyone is nice and says hello - but you get charged a mandatory gratuity (service charge) on pretty much everything, and are expected to leave a tip on top of that. Chairs at the pool have to be claimed in the morning, or you are going to be out of luck. I just really hate doing that myself, but it's a necessity if you want a chair. So you go down in the morning, and have an attendant put the mandatory cushion on the chair you want and they'll put some towels on it. You'd see chairs "reserved" this way sometimes the entire day - not even used - poolfront. But that's the system they have. And there's not nearly enough chairs at the main pool for everyone that wants one, so if you go out there in the afternoon, you aren't going to have a chair.

I'm sure, if you were actually paying for a room, that there's got to be much better room options in other hotels that are not only much better rooms, but probably closer to the beach and hotel pool as well (the Ritz is pretty huge - we have a long walk if we are going anywhere that isn't close to our side of the hotel). Since we were upgraded to oceanside, it wasn't that bad to get to the pool, but our original standard room would have been a bit of a walk each time. Also there's no kids club as in many other Ritz - instead there's the Kids Ambassador activities, which is you pay $100 per child for a 4 hour time-frame of an arranged activity for them (snorkeling, nature stuff, etc). That would have been a nice complement to a kids club, but don't care for the fact that it's a replacement for one.

thanks for the review...sounds like you originally booked a tower side, standard room(one king). Did you try to upgrade prior to arriving for your stay to the ocean side? Or to a larger room(2 queen or bigger suite).
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by jimdarcy
thanks for the review...sounds like you originally booked a tower side, standard room(one king). Did you try to upgrade prior to arriving for your stay to the ocean side? Or to a larger room(2 queen or bigger suite).
Yes booked a standard garden view king room with points. Mentioned in the comments on booking about status and would appreciate any upgrade. Did the online check-in the day before and inquired about an upgrade then through the chat, and they said upgrades would be determined when rooms are assigned the day of arrival. Got the notification the room was assigned and key was ready around noon on the day of arrival - did the online chat again and inquired about upgrades, and that's when they said they would then upgrade the room and I'd get a new room assigned later in the day. So in my instance they didn't do it automatically, and had to inquire about it once they initially assigned the standard room. Ocean view room in the ocean tower is much, much more favorable than the standard garden view room because it's much easier access both to the main pool and the beach.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:41 pm

Yes booked a standard garden view king room with points. Mentioned in the comments on booking about status and would appreciate any upgrade. Did the online check-in the day before and inquired about an upgrade then through the chat, and they said upgrades would be determined when rooms are assigned the day of arrival. Got the notification the room was assigned and key was ready around noon on the day of arrival - did the online chat again and inquired about upgrades, and that's when they said they would then upgrade the room and I'd get a new room assigned later in the day. So in my instance they didn't do it automatically, and had to inquire about it once they initially assigned the standard room. Ocean view room in the ocean tower is much, much more favorable than the standard garden view room because it's much easier access both to the main pool and the beach.
Were you able to take a look at the Westin? In hindsight, would you think its better to stay there? Any other points hotel you would think is better to stay at on the island?
Did you get breakfast at the main restaurant or club lounge access?
Are the pools heated?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:33 pm

Were you able to take a look at the Westin? In hindsight, would you think its better to stay there? Any other points hotel you would think is better to stay at on the island?
Did you get breakfast at the main restaurant or club lounge access?
Are the pools heated?
No, only looked at the Ritz due to reviews. Amount of points really didn't matter. We got breakfast at a small restaurant where it was free for the first two days - haven't had breakfast at any other restaurant yet since it's not free. Club lounge access requires paying for a club upgrade, none of which were available to us, and also I believe it's around $200/day extra. Pools are not heated, but they don't need to be since the temperature is constantly around 80 degrees outside day and night.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador

Chairs at the pool have to be claimed in the morning, or you are going to be out of luck. I just really hate doing that myself, but it's a necessity if you want a chair. So you go down in the morning, and have an attendant put the mandatory cushion on the chair you want and they'll put some towels on it. You'd see chairs "reserved" this way sometimes the entire day - not even used - poolfront. But that's the system they have. And there's not nearly enough chairs at the main pool for everyone that wants one, so if you go out there in the afternoon, you aren't going to have a chair.
Thanks for the review - that's helpful. Would you return?

I was looking at here or the Westin and was figuring at the Ritz I wouldn't have to go out and reserve chairs...do you think I would be able to find 4 together at like 10am, or is that even too late?
And how long would the walk be to the oceanfront pool if you had stayed in the resort/garden view tower?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by svo242
Thanks for the review - that's helpful. Would you return?

I was looking at here or the Westin and was figuring at the Ritz I wouldn't have to go out and reserve chairs...do you think I would be able to find 4 together at like 10am, or is that even too late?
And how long would the walk be to the oceanfront pool if you had stayed in the resort/garden view tower?
I personally would look at other redemption options to see if there was a way to get a better room in a place not such as large, as well as with some less expensive dining. If money isn't a concern at all, then the Ritz is probably the best bet. I'm not sure if you're talking about beach or pool chairs - for the beach, there are tons and as long as you don't mind not being in the first row, there's definitely availability, just a little further back. In regards to the pool, I'd say at 10am you may find 4 chairs somewhere but they are going to be away from the pool. I'd say the walk from resort/garden view tower would be a good few minutes walk if you're in the furthest rooms. Of course it also would have to do with how full the hotel is at the time as well. I'm assuming the hotel is pretty full this week with Easter. The nice thing is that even with a lot of people, the pool doesn't get overcrowded, and neither does the water at the beach. I'm really not sure why to be honest - I guess a lot of people do many things outside the hotel. Our first night here on Tuesday, by 6pm, the pool and the ocean were completely empty, although the water was warm at both (pools close at 10pm). And we didn't see anyone in the rest of the night. I've really never seen anything like that at a large resort hotel. Maybe because it's the Ritz, and the expense, that there just aren't a lot of college/twenties staying here that normally would be in the water in the evening. I guess that can be a positive as well.

I
svo242 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:50 pm

Thanks for the review. Keep us updated on the rest of your stay

I do think for Marriott points, the Ritz would be the best option based on what I have been reading. However, if i had IHG points, I would most def consider the Kimpton
svo242 likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 4:27 pm

Do the suites that they complimentary upgrade to, have kitchens?
Old May 9, 2019, 9:48 am

[QUOTE=Eryeal;31020434]I personally would look at other redemption options to see if there was a way to get a better room in a place not such as large, as well as with some less expensive dining. If money isn't a concern at all, then the Ritz is probably the best bet. I'm not sure if you're talking about beach or pool chairs - for the beach, there are tons

is renting a car a good idea??
Old May 9, 2019, 9:06 pm

I personally would look at other redemption options to see if there was a way to get a better room in a place not such as large, as well as with some less expensive dining. If money isn't a concern at all, then the Ritz is probably the best bet. I'm not sure if you're talking about beach or pool chairs - for the beach, there are tons and as long as you don't mind not being in the first row, there's definitely availability, just a little further back. In regards to the pool, I'd say at 10am you may find 4 chairs somewhere but they are going to be away from the pool. I'd say the walk from resort/garden view tower would be a good few minutes walk if you're in the furthest rooms. Of course it also would have to do with how full the hotel is at the time as well. I'm assuming the hotel is pretty full this week with Easter. The nice thing is that even with a lot of people, the pool doesn't get overcrowded, and neither does the water at the beach. I'm really not sure why to be honest - I guess a lot of people do many things outside the hotel. Our first night here on Tuesday, by 6pm, the pool and the ocean were completely empty, although the water was warm at both (pools close at 10pm). And we didn't see anyone in the rest of the night. I've really never seen anything like that at a large resort hotel. Maybe because it's the Ritz, and the expense, that there just aren't a lot of college/twenties staying here that normally would be in the water in the evening. I guess that can be a positive as well.

I
How was the rest of your stay?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.