Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Alaia Belize, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaia Belize, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2021, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by planecrashlaw
Thanks for the heads up on that. Will have to consider my options as I am not sure in the SNA is worth burning on the 2 BR. Sure enough, my reservation states “Unfortunately, availability has changed since your last request. The good news is that we still have great rooms for you. Please select your favorite ones below.” Hopefully the future reviews will sway me.
note the two bedrooms here are the remodeled Banyan Bay. The Vista and ocean front 3 BR villas (removed from SNA pool) are the new structures.
emma dog likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 10:59 am

Are they offering any cash upgrades from the base points rooms?

TD
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:46 pm

Curious what the current protocols are for masks at the hotel and in town?

Thanks
TD
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:10 pm

Also very curious about this property. Has anyone actually stayed here yet?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Autograph Alaia, San Pedro, Belize

I rarely write trip reports, so please forgive any major lapses. This is a new property, opening in May 2021, so I felt it justified some mention. I booked a 2-bedroom (King/Queen) Oceanfront Reef House via an opening special rate that said it included breakfast.

Bottom line upfront: Would I book again? Yes. Would I consider alternatives? Yes. Overall: This was a nice stay and the location is convenient.

The hotel is located maybe 1 mile south of the air terminal and the hotel provided a taxi to take us there and back. Check-in was efficient and unremarkable, and I used my Ambassador benefits for 2 additional continental breakfasts. My SNAs hadn’t cleared, which was fine. I was handed two continental breakfast cards for 2 people each… at the time I knew one said it was for continental breakfast, but not both.

We were given a tour of the gorgeous property by one of the bellmen, who exemplified the awesome customer service consistently demonstrated by the staff. I was shocked to find myself in a 6-unit condo since no property pictures show these units… I expected to be in one of the cool modern rooms that is on the beach. The unit was overall nice, and so I didn’t really feel like I had a bone to pick at this point.

What I thought we booked:

Resort photo from website... notice the condo unit I was in isn't visible.

What we were given.

That night I discovered that the bed in the 2nd bedroom was a full size and not a queen. I called the front desk, which was unable to resolve the issue. They left a note for the day staff… they never got back to me. My kids resolved this issue by one sleeping on the sofa (not a pull-out)… they didn’t care too much so I decided to just let it go.

The property has several restaurants, including “The Deck” (located on the beach), “Terrace Bar” (located poolside), Sea Salt (located inside the main hotel building), Vista Rooftop (located on the rooftop of the hotel), and the Piano Bar (located in an open area near the front desk). The menus are currently available online at https://ztou.ch/Alaia. Each restaurant has a slightly different menu, which was slightly inconvenient when folks didn’t agree on what they wanted. For example, this month is “Lobster Fest”, celebrating the opening of lobster season. Each restaurant served different versions of the specials. Fortunately we had a great waiter in the Terrace Bar on our first night who agreed to get a couple of meals from The Deck.

Overall, the meals were incredibly tasty and did a great job displaying fresh Belize cooking. The presentations were all excellent and the service was outstanding. Some of the wait staff remembered our names and even remembered how we liked our coffee and/or what we ate for breakfast. I can’t say enough good about the staff.

The hotel has a dive shop on property –The Belize Pro Dive Shop. I made reservations for a couple scuba trips and a fishing/snorkeling/beach BBQ package for the time while we were there. There was a small communication glitch between the concierge and the dive shop that was addressed very quickly, and I suspect it’s resolved for good (in short, I emailed reservations who didn’t cc the concierge. However, they did contact the dive shop. So, no big deal). Prices available through the hotel and directly through the dive shop were identical. The shop billed direct to room, although you needed to have cash on hand ($10 US each) for entry into the marine reserve.

Service at the dive shop was extraordinary, and a definite highlight of the trip. I’m a certified diver and my kids have never been. I attended a dive refresher and they attended a intro class –both were very professionally run and the instructors did a great job covering all the important material. The equipment was high-quality and well-maintained. The staff were attentive throughout and made safety and comfort a priority.

Our kitchen was equipped with the expected essentials. Pans, knives, plates, and glasses. Blender, toaster, and coffee maker. Oven and electric stove. There isn’t a dishwasher. There wasn’t an ice tray, either.

Bath gel, shampoo and conditioner were from a wall squeeze bottle containing Bath and Body Works products. They were fine, although the conditioner was a tad weak.

We had mostly-daily housekeeping service. They missed one day for some reason.

So, let’s talk now about breakfast. I discovered that the property pretty much doesn’t offer any “complimentary” breakfasts other than the continental. The staff take this very literally and don’t allow for any buy-ups. So you can’t apply your $18 credit toward a three egg omelet at $18. As I said up front, my rate offered “breakfast.” I went to the front desk the first night when I discovered both coupons specified a continental breakfast. At the time, the GM was present, and she wrote “Alaia Breakfast” and signed her name on my coupons.

Before I continue, I need to point out general issues with the breakfast menu. As pointed out, there isn’t a buy-up option, and this isn’t specified on the menu. Secondly, look at the Alaia breakfast… there’s way too many choices leading to confusion. You can either:

· Order eggs -or-

· Order pancakes -or-

· Order french toast

Then select either sausage links or bacon. Unless you order pancakes or french toast and then you can also order potatoes, fruit, or chili pork patties in addition to links or bacon.

Breakfast menu

Why am I harping on this? Here’s my crazy series of stories:

Morning 1: Mrs. Dog orders continental. I order the breakfast burrito. My kids order french toast. We get two bills and are told we have to pay for everything but the continental breakfast. I ask if they can clarify with the front desk and a few minutes later I’m told that my bill was correct. I’m annoyed but we needed to get to the dock for diving and decide to let it go for the moment. However, when we get back from diving, I’m tired and don’t have it in me to deal… and decide that we made a $70 mistake and that I was going to avoid the hotel restaurants because I felt ripped off.

Morning 2: I tell the kids that we had to stick to the Alaia. Then I discover the “one sweet dish” actually referred to “Sweet Sugar Rush” and that yesterday’s french toast was included. So the kids order it again and I stick to eggs. Again, we get two bills and I ask the waiter who tells me that they just had to do it this way but I would be comped. I figure I’ll deal with Morning 1 on checkout and it will all be OK.

Day 4: I’m flipping through the TV and look at the folio and discover I’m being charged for the Alaia each day. I’m annoyed but just decide to deal with it all on checkout.

On checkout, the breakfasts were on my bills. The front desk manager happened to be present and I shared the confusing menu and my general dissatisfaction about how meals were handled. Specifically, that it’s nonsensical to me that they wouldn’t allow buy-ups/substitutions for the continental, and that the menu in general is confusing –why couldn’t I get the chili pork patty instead of bacon with the egg since both are $6 and seem to be equivalents? The breakfasts were removed from my bills without any hassle.

Overall, I found this property solid and one I’d definitely consider on a future trip to San Pedro. I’d definitely recommend the dive shop and would strongly consider using them again. The dining was very good, although rather overpriced. I think the breakfast issue is rather confusing and off-putting, to the point that I would probably elect no breakfast and cook some eggs in my room if the hotel doesn’t address the issues I described above. I found the staff to be outstanding, although they don’t appear equipped to address or escalate issues as they pop up. I’m glad I stayed there, although I’d consider a beachside VRBO an equally attractive option if competitively priced and located.

Last edited by emma dog; Jul 13, 2021 at 6:55 am Reason: To add photos
Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, MR/RC Plat, KLM Plat, AS MVPG75K, UA Gold
Thanks for posting on this property! I'm actually headed there next week against my better judgment of staying at new properties. The hotel has been extremely responsive on a multitude of issues as I'm actually taking a group of 10 people. It's clear there is the "new" vista building and the "old" reef house and most of the positive experiences you will read about come from people in the Vista building or the new Villas but NOT the old Reef House. This property seems to be HIGHLY misleading regarding their room descriptions and pictures especially when it comes to the old Reef House rooms. They do seem aware though and have been actively adding real pictures (as opposed to renderings) and tweaking the room descriptions. I booked a 3 bedroom beach villa back in April and the room description has gone from like 5800 sq feet to like 1800! A massive massive difference....and the plunge pool looks no larger than the size of a standard bath tub!

Can I ask how the beach was and if there was any problem with the smell of sargassum while you were there? I almost bailed on this property from some of the reviews a few weeks ago where the stench was so bad you couldn't sit outside at the beach or even the pools! Hardly an enjoyable Belize trip if you are stuck indoors or left gasping for air sitting outside with that stench!

The breakfast situation sounds EXTREMELY annoying and I had actually already been in touch with management about the issue and have their assurances their wont be any breakfast charge issues during out stay (I don't want to be dealing with that with 10 people every morning). I do have to say overall the F & B prices do seem crazy high considering its Belize but I do know they are the premier property now so as long as it's excellent I guess thats ok.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by PDXbased1K
They do seem aware though and have been actively adding real pictures (as opposed to renderings) and tweaking the room descriptions. I booked a 3 bedroom beach villa back in April and the room description has gone from like 5800 sq feet to like 1800! A massive massive difference....and the plunge pool looks no larger than the size of a standard bath tub!
Prior to this afternoon, I hadn't looked at the website since May. It actually ticked me off when I saw the resort photo/rendering that completely erased the condos (and also removed the breakwaters for no apparent reason). I would have been happy as a clam in the condo had I seen a picture of it before-hand. However their misleading advertising made me think I was going to be in one of the beach side villas, which was a definite let-down when you think you're going to be staying in a cool contemporary building. All that being said, they did a good job renovating the Reef Houses and I was pleased with the accommodations.

You're right re the plunge pool. It's maybe 6 x 4 feet.

Can I ask how the beach was and if there was any problem with the smell of sargassum while you were there?
The rendering is totally off... they have two lagoons with a boom across that keeps most of the sargassum out. Additionally, there are about a dozen guys out there every morning scooping it up. There was no noticeable odor, although it was pretty windy these past few days coming from the east so that may have helped.

The breakfast situation sounds EXTREMELY annoying and I had actually already been in touch with management about the issue and have their assurances their wont be any breakfast charge issues during out stay (I don't want to be dealing with that with 10 people every morning). I do have to say overall the F & B prices do seem crazy high considering its Belize but I do know they are the premier property now so as long as it's excellent I guess thats ok.
The food was definitely excellent... and portions were generous. I really hope they address the breakfast situation in a reasonable way.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Curious what the current protocols are for masks at the hotel and in town?

Thanks
TD
It's like being in the US in Jan/Feb before widespread vaccinations. Meaning, you need to wear them on airplanes and in crowded indoor places. Restaurants are more lax. You didn't need them on dive trips. The Truck Stop (outdoor bar outside of San Pedro) had signs up saying you needed a mask to be served --I didn't bring mine that day and I was still served but it felt a little awkward. You had to wear them zip lining and you also needed them when passing the ranger stations at the various sites. You needed to wear them full time at the Mayan sites.

The Belize government is requiring all tourist-facing folks to get vaccinated or else get COVID tested every other week at their own expense. Similar to the US, the folks who were vaccinated felt ambivalent, or even anti-, mask. I did get the sense that some folks would prefer you wear a mask, yet wouldn't say anything out of fear that the tourists would go away.
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:57 pm

I ended up here as well for 3 nights. I booked the standard cheapest 1 bedroom but used 3 SNAs (titanium) which cleared several days before arrival. I selected and was upgraded to the Oceanview Vista Suite which is in the 6 story buildings (5th floor which is the highest that has rooms). It was very nice and I had no issues. It was as nice or better than what is pictured on their website. I think most of the issue is the multi-bedroom "beachfront" rooms. Agree with emma dog on most everything. The property was great. Pool was nice. Staff were friendly and remembered my named. Dive shop was reasonably priced and awesome (friendly, helpful, and safe). I didn't really bother with breakfast. It was continental and I'd rather wake up late and get better food in town. I didn't eat anything at the property really other than breakfast once so I can't comment. The location is pretty good as well. Basically this place is a great Marriott property and I'd book again if I were on San Pedro.

One side note is that the golf cart rentals are very overpriced from the hotel. We paid $140 for one from "Avis" while they were $240 at the hotel. Everyone gets around on a golf carts so it is really essential on this island. Just call a local place and they'll deliver it to the hotel no issue.
Scottino84 and Traveler Dave like this.

Last edited by omghaxcode; Aug 19, 2021 at 1:53 pm
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I ended up here as well for 3 nights. I booked the standard cheapest 1 bedroom but used 3 SNAs (titanium) which cleared several days before arrival. I selected and was upgraded to the Oceanview Vista Suite which is in the 6 story buildings (5th floor which is the highest that has rooms). It was very nice and I had no issues. It was as nice or better than what is pictured on their website. I think most of the issue is the multi-bedroom "beachfront" rooms. Agree with emma dog on most everything. The property was great. Pool was nice. Staff were friendly and remembered my named. Dive shop was reasonably priced and awesome (friendly, helpful, and safe). I didn't really bother with breakfast. It was continental and I'd rather wake up late and get better food in town. I didn't eat anything at the property really other than breakfast once so I can't comment. The location is pretty good as well. Basically this place is a great Marriott property and I'd book again if I were on San Pedro.

One side note is that the golf cart rentals are very overpriced from the hotel. We paid $140 for one from "Avis" while they were $240 at the hotel. Everyone gets around on a golf carts so it is really essential on this island. Just call a local place and they'll deliver it to the hotel no issue.
i am travelling in December and hoping for this exact situation. Thanks so much for sharing!
Old Mar 9, 2022, 1:11 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Does anyone have the direct email contact for the GM and/or front desk manager? As a titanium, would like to discuss upgrade options for a forthcoming stay.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by travelexpert
Does anyone have the direct email contact for the GM and/or front desk manager? As a titanium, would like to discuss upgrade options for a forthcoming stay.
Will be curious if they offer anything. This is not a “traditional” Marriott. They are all individually owned units.

TD
Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:25 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Will be curious if they offer anything. This is not a “traditional” Marriott. They are all individually owned units.

TD
The property does participate in the Bonvoy SNA suite upgrade program.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by travelexpert
Any update on this? We are headed that way in a few days
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:38 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by KRUXED
Any update on this? We are headed that way in a few days
Hi KRUXED,

Not exactly what you were looking for, but the email contacts we have for the hotel are [email protected] and [email protected]

Thanks,

Robert V.
Social Media Specialist
KRUXED likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.