Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort, Los Cabos, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort, Los Cabos, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by CLEguy

It sure does, though the fridge is somewhat small. I’m not sure if the property can add a mini fridge to the room, but it’s definitely worth reaching out to ask. Depending on your wife’s allergies, the property can also likely accommodate as we found all the food and beverage outlets to be of very high quality.
Awesome! Thanks so much! We too received the Grand Gallery 1 bedroom upgrade on the SNA’s. Looking forward to seeing this property!
CLEguy and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 2.2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Exec, Hertz President's Club, Starwood Gold
Highly doubtful. Each residence is a full floor in one of the three towers to the right of the property as you face the ocean. They are 3-4 bedrooms and at least 3,000sqf. When we were there, there were several for sale in the $2.5 - $3.5 million range.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Can't say enough about this property

I spent 5-nights at Solaz in Cabo San Lucas -- wow!

As some context, I stay at a wide variety of Marriott properties about 160/nights annually. I spend my points on vacation with a focus on high end properties (Category 7 and up). Solaz is easily one of the best properties I've visited in the world.

Property: Beautiful property about 20 minutes from Cabo airport. Super modern and open floor plan. Futuristic looking in the best way possible. I stayed in a Gallery Grande Suite (SNA accepted) with a plunge pool. The room was fantastic and has everything you could ask for. We had friends who stayed in the standard room and it was also amazing - as nice as it gets for low level room.

The property has 2 large pools. Oceanfront infinity. The beach in front of the property is easily accessible and very nice. Solaz has lounge chairs and cabanas on the beach that were open most days (No charge for cabana). With a group of 6 we would show at the pool anywhere from 10am-12noon and never had a problem finding great seats together.

The fitness center is top notch. All the equipment you could ask for and plenty of cardio equipment. My wife and I bought day passes to the spa ($45/ person for all day access). We spent 1/2 day at the spa and I would've stayed even longer. The day pass gets you access to mens/womens locker room with sauna, steam room and nice indoor/outdoor showers. The shared area is even better - 3 pools (2 saltwater and 1 regular). There is a salt room - not sure what it does, but cool looking if nothing else.

This property NEVER feels crowded - only 129 guest rooms.

Service: Top-notch service. I did not have 1 complaint and service consistenly exceeded expectations. Whoever is managing this property is doing a fantastic job.

Platinum benefits: The buffet is unreal. Valued at $30/person -- it is free for Titanium. Everything you could ask for -- pastries, fresh bread, variety of potatoes, eggs, cold cut, fruit, fresh juices, etc.

Food: Onsite dining all solid. 2 stand out - Al Pairo (seafood) and Misaki (sp?). I eat a ton of sushi -- Masaki is up there with the best.

Message me with any questions. I couldn't be more complimentary of my visit. Already planning my next stay. Hope this place never changes because it is a true jewel in the Marriott portfolio.
CLEguy and bizum like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DamoTime
My wife and I bought day passes to the spa ($45/ person for all day access). We spent 1/2 day at the spa and I would've stayed even longer. The day pass gets you access to mens/womens locker room with sauna, steam room and nice indoor/outdoor showers. The shared area is even better - 3 pools (2 saltwater and 1 regular). There is a salt room - not sure what it does, but cool looking if nothing else.
You're that satisfied despite paying an extra 20% on top of the room rate just to access a sauna and steam room? Ok.

The rest of the review sounds great, but can't remember ever being made to pay for spa access at a Starwood/Marriott, especially a LC property.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
There are two types of plunge pools:
- Private ones that can only be accessed in and by your room - what one would expect aka plunge pool on your actual patio/balcony for the room occupier only.
- The other is the long, but narrow plunge pool that runs the entire length of the gallery rooms that has a small bamboo separator over the pool between each room - the not so private version where you can hang with your random neighbor in the plunge pool... This added to the separator between the rooms on the patio is partially a concrete wall than turns into a larger wall of sticks slatted together than tall and narrow cactuses placed together for a ‘natural’ wall. Add the unannounced pool guy walking the entire pool skimming it while using your patio/pool. So, if you are expecting privacy on your patio and/or plunge pool...think again. You can hear everything (the regular conversation but also the drunk, the argument, the FaceTime on speaker phone) from your neighbor on their patio, they/you can see them/you through the stick slat design, and finally you can be besties in the plunge too...

Last edited by blitzkriegs; Jul 10, 2019 at 12:40 am
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Delete
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DamoTime
I spent 5-nights at Solaz in Cabo San Lucas -- wow!

As some context, I stay at a wide variety of Marriott properties about 160/nights annually. I spend my points on vacation with a focus on high end properties (Category 7 and up). Solaz is easily one of the best properties I've visited in the world.

Property: Beautiful property about 20 minutes from Cabo airport. Super modern and open floor plan. Futuristic looking in the best way possible. I stayed in a Gallery Grande Suite (SNA accepted) with a plunge pool. The room was fantastic and has everything you could ask for. We had friends who stayed in the standard room and it was also amazing - as nice as it gets for low level room.

The property has 2 large pools. Oceanfront infinity. The beach in front of the property is easily accessible and very nice. Solaz has lounge chairs and cabanas on the beach that were open most days (No charge for cabana). With a group of 6 we would show at the pool anywhere from 10am-12noon and never had a problem finding great seats together.

The fitness center is top notch. All the equipment you could ask for and plenty of cardio equipment. My wife and I bought day passes to the spa ($45/ person for all day access). We spent 1/2 day at the spa and I would've stayed even longer. The day pass gets you access to mens/womens locker room with sauna, steam room and nice indoor/outdoor showers. The shared area is even better - 3 pools (2 saltwater and 1 regular). There is a salt room - not sure what it does, but cool looking if nothing else.

This property NEVER feels crowded - only 129 guest rooms.

Service: Top-notch service. I did not have 1 complaint and service consistenly exceeded expectations. Whoever is managing this property is doing a fantastic job.

Platinum benefits: The buffet is unreal. Valued at $30/person -- it is free for Titanium. Everything you could ask for -- pastries, fresh bread, variety of potatoes, eggs, cold cut, fruit, fresh juices, etc.

Food: Onsite dining all solid. 2 stand out - Al Pairo (seafood) and Misaki (sp?). I eat a ton of sushi -- Masaki is up there with the best.

Message me with any questions. I couldn't be more complimentary of my visit. Already planning my next stay. Hope this place never changes because it is a true jewel in the Marriott portfolio.
Did I meet you there last week? Does your wife hate museums?

I too finished a much shorter one-night stay last week and don't have anywhere near as much context in high-end properties as the previous poster.

Solaz is very exclusive - it never feels crowded and there is plenty of space for everyone.

The breakfast buffet is 600 pesos pp, so the Marriott elite benefit is basically worth 1,200 pesos per night assuming double occupancy (i.e. I agree with the above, but I math in $MXN). I have pictures of the full breakfast spread here: https://imgur.com/a/RQEDcc1

I had a 6th floor oceanview grand and I also thought everything was spectacular. My two complaints are highway noise, and that they use a showerhead that doesn't deliver the coverage or water pressure that I was hoping for, I am not sure why they don't use the same rainfall showerheads they have by the infinity pools. Like most other hotels I've tried in the area, virtually every setting other than the 'right' setting in the shower is 'scalding' and it takes a fair amount of time for the water temperature to change after you adjust the temperature knob.

There is a 'complimentary photo session' provided by the on-site photo/video studio which you can schedule prior to your arrival, after which you'll have the ability to purchase digital high-resolution photos and/or print packages. The basic pricing for these pictures is $60 USD/picture if <20 pictures, $30 USD/pic for 20-29 pictures, and the pricing scales down as you buy more. There was a '4th of July' promo available offering 10 digital pics for $300 USD when we were there.
CLEguy, bizum and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Planning to stay at the solaz next year.
Not sure wether to book a timeshare unit (via vacation rental company) or a hotel room/suite . i am just Bonvoy Gold, so no real benefits with the Marriott booking.
Any experience with the timeshare units here ?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Property Map

Does anyone have a property map? I am trying to figure out which room to book for a December stay. We are a bit noise sensitive so trying to figure out which is best for us. A friend recommended the Gallery rooms since they are quieter. For anyone who has stayed there, is a Gallery Grand or Suite on the top floor of the Gallery section? How many floors is the Gallery section? I heard that the main building can be noisier (street noise).
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SeeTheLights
Does anyone have a property map? I am trying to figure out which room to book for a December stay. We are a bit noise sensitive so trying to figure out which is best for us. A friend recommended the Gallery rooms since they are quieter. For anyone who has stayed there, is a Gallery Grand or Suite on the top floor of the Gallery section? How many floors is the Gallery section? I heard that the main building can be noisier (street noise).
I don't have a map, but have stayed at Solaz and should be able to help. If you google Solaz pictures and look at aerial pictures, you will see a couple of rows of single story structures with a green roof. Those are the gallery buildings. The higher rise buildings further from the beach are the main building. I think they have 5 or 6 floors. The high rises on the side are the residences.

The main building rooms have their corridor toward the main street, so the corridor would be loud. I did not stay in a main building room so I don't know if noise gets into the rooms themselves. The gallery rooms are all ground floor with a balcony and plunge pool and I would say that they are all similarly quite. The only difference between grand and superior is that the one category (can't remember which one) is further from the beach, which means higher elevation, which means better Ocean view.

I hope this helps.
SeeTheLights likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
I used a SNA and got upgraded to Gallery Grand. These rooms are not located in the main building. We didn't hear any street noise. Really private and quiet in the evening.
SeeTheLights likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did they rename their room categories? Website doesn't show any Gallery or Grand rooms/suites now. Rooms/suites are listed by view and plunge pools. How do they map to old categories?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
Originally Posted by TerryK
Did they rename their room categories? Website doesn't show any Gallery or Grand rooms/suites now. Rooms/suites are listed by view and plunge pools. How do they map to old categories?
It appears they now use three different types:

- Main building: The high building close to the street. They have balconies but no plunge pools.
- Plunge pool: Previously referred to as Gallery. They are all ground floor with a plunge pool. Note: The plunge pool is a long shared strip of a pool. Nice, but not a dedicated plunge pool.
- Residence: The high rise buildings on the side. Technically not part of the hotel but part of the time share. Hence these are larger apartment type rooms.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you, points_maniac, that makes sense. I suspect there is no upgrade path to Residences as it is listed as a separate property. Looks like you were upgraded to a suite in main building. Do they upgrade to plunge pool rooms/suites, if available?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Amb
Any idea what the per night incidental hold is? My ambassador is telling me it's $400USD. Does this sound right to folks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.