Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort, Los Cabos, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort, Los Cabos, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Bigshaker
Has anyone had success here using SNA Suite upgrades or just getting Suite upgrade at checkin (Titanium)?
I received a complementary upgrade to a suite on a eight night stay by emailing their concierge desk a few days prior to arrival and kindly asking for it as a lifetime titanium member. I did not have any SNAs, so asking for it on a complementary basis was my only option. Since I could not find an email address for Solaz, I called them and asked them for an email address of their concierge desk.
dgreen12, Bigshaker and bhrubin like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:29 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by points_maniac
I received a complementary upgrade to a suite on a eight night stay by emailing their concierge desk a few days prior to arrival and kindly asking for it as a lifetime titanium member. I did not have any SNAs, so asking for it on a complementary basis was my only option. Since I could not find an email address for Solaz, I called them and asked them for an email address of their concierge desk.
Nicely done. Would you mind sharing that email address here or to a wiki?
Old May 7, 2019, 3:52 pm

It looks like Solaz Residences, which is listed as a separate property, is now bookable for cash but not points. The Residences are not assigned a category either. I wonder if the Solaz Residences will be excluded from points bookings, if not, even at a Cat 8, these seems like an amazing deal based on the cash rates I'm seeing.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Nicely done. Would you mind sharing that email address here or to a wiki?
The “head artisan” (i.e., concierge) emailed me about a week in advance of my arrival. His email address is:

[email protected]

In response to a request for the email address of the reservations department, he gave me the following two addresses:

[email protected]

[email protected]

bhrubin likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by Bigshaker
Has anyone had success here using SNA Suite upgrades or just getting Suite upgrade at checkin (Titanium)?
Our SNA cleared into a Gallery Grand Jr.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
It looks like Solaz Residences, which is listed as a separate property, is now bookable for cash but not points. The Residences are not assigned a category either. I wonder if the Solaz Residences will be excluded from points bookings, if not, even at a Cat 8, these seems like an amazing deal based on the cash rates I'm seeing.
I don't think these will come up for points redemption, These are the residences in the high-rise buildings next to Solaz. They are huge, one residence covers an entire floor and they are being sold between $2m and $4m.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:05 am

FYI, I reserved a main building Grand on points. When I asked, they offered to upgrade me in advance to a Gallery Grand room for $155 USD per night plus taxes 19% plus service charge 15%. Not a bad deal (less than the difference between the cash rates for the two room categories) but pondering whether it’s worth it. I’m a mere Gold so I doubt they’ll upgrade me for free at checkin.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by chazas
FYI, I reserved a main building Grand on points. When I asked, they offered to upgrade me in advance to a Gallery Grand room for $155 USD per night plus taxes 19% plus service charge 15%. Not a bad deal (less than the difference between the cash rates for the two room categories) but pondering whether it’s worth it. I’m a mere Gold so I doubt they’ll upgrade me for free at checkin.
The gallery rooms are closer to the pool area, are all single story, and the entrance is not exposed to the road. They also have a (small and shared) plunge pool and outdoor shower. Ocean views can be partial as the view may be obstructed by resort grounds. Otherwise they are very similar in size and layout.

The main building grand rooms have pretty good ocean views and can be reached via an elevator. They have a balcony instead of a terrace. They may also be closer to the breakfast restaurant as compared to the gallery rooms.

It will depend on your budget and craving for some extra luxury if the gallery rooms are worth another $200 all-in per night.

You are probably right that as a gold member you may not receive a complementary upgrade.

Last edited by points_maniac; May 8, 2019 at 9:59 pm Reason: Clarifications
Old May 9, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by musicscrip

Did you find out about the benefits for Plat or Titanium Elite? Our two kids will be 3 and 5 years old when we go so I wonder if they will get free breakfast as well or it’s strictly TWO per room?

Please help!

Thanks
I have not arrived, and may not be going after all.

My original booking was cancelled. It was the side effect of a drawn out event where somebody hijacked my Marriott account and started cashing out my points in Lake Charles, LA. I haven't rebooked it since and might not after all.

Edit: My reservation still exists, maybe I will go after all.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by musicscrip

Did you find out about the benefits for Plat or Titanium Elite? Our two kids will be 3 and 5 years old when we go so I wonder if they will get free breakfast as well or it’s strictly TWO per room?

Please help!

Thanks
I think it will be YMMV. As a Lifetime Titanium I visited with my wife and our 4-year old son, and they added him to our vouchers for the breakfast, but it seemed to be a courtesy and not something that we should always expect.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:44 pm

Ok, I’m here now. This is a very nice resort. As folks have mentioned, the architecture and grounds are amazing. The staff is all super nice and hardworking. I wouldn’t say they’re seamless, but some of the rough edges earlier reviewers mentioned seem to have been smoothed out.

About the room categories. While the non suite rooms are all almost identical in interior size and layout, the main building and gallery rooms are like different hotels. My points got me a main building grand, which was top floor with an awesome view. But I was next to the residence towers, and there was a loud a/c unit that I found bothersome while sitting on the balcony. And they started using some power tools in the room next door this morning. The other weird thing is that walking from the elevator to your room is on an exposed walkway next to a 4 lane highway. You can’t really hear it inside, but that few yards of loud car noise really harshes your mellow. Given the level of architecture here I’m kind of shocked they didn’t build enclosed hallways.

I asked to be moved to a quieter room in my category (mentioned only the a/c and construction noise) and they very nicely upgraded me to a superior gallery room, a lower tier gallery room (I.e., low and just a peek at the ocean) right near the spa, gym, Mako beach restaurant and hotel pool. Not as private, but a world of difference. The courtyard with outdoor shower and plunge pool make for a much more pleasant experience, as does the lack of exposure to the highway.

As as I mentioned upthread, an advance upgrade (to a grand gallery room, more private and higher up the hill) would have been $200/day all in. Is it worth it? Probably. Would I have done it had I known the property layout before coming? Probably not, unless the vacation was something really special. A quieter balcony would have been fine and the experience otherwise is just the same.

Btw, while they don’t advertise them to hotel guests don’t forget the restaurants on the timeshare side of the property. I really liked El Cardon for dinner last night and the prices were quite reasonable for resort food and drink, less expensive than Mako (the resort’s poolside restaurant). All pools other than a small pool at the residence towers are open to all guests, but I like the energy at the hotel pool best.

CLEguy likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Our SNA cleared into a Gallery Grand Jr.
Was this the 1 bedroom Gallery Grand? If so, did it have a kitchenette?
Old May 20, 2019, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by wes1side

Was this the 1 bedroom Gallery Grand? If so, did it have a kitchenette?
Yes.

Welcome to FT!
Old May 20, 2019, 9:14 pm

Thanks @CLEguy for the quick reply! Sorry for the follow up question and I probably should have been more specific in my initial question...does the kitchenette include a cooktop and fridge? My wife has food allergies and while we found some places that can accommodate her, it would make breakfast and lunch much easier to be able to prepare her meal ourselves.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by wes1side
Thanks @CLEguy for the quick reply! Sorry for the follow up question and I probably should have been more specific in my initial question...does the kitchenette include a cooktop and fridge? My wife has food allergies and while we found some places that can accommodate her, it would make breakfast and lunch much easier to be able to prepare her meal ourselves.
It sure does, though the fridge is somewhat small. I’m not sure if the property can add a mini fridge to the room, but it’s definitely worth reaching out to ask. Depending on your wife’s allergies, the property can also likely accommodate as we found all the food and beverage outlets to be of very high quality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.