Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort, Los Cabos, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort, Los Cabos, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by scubadu
Huh? The amount of time you spend in Cabo is predicated on taxi pricing? Seriously?

Why don't you just rent a car, problem solved? We've been going to Cabo area for ~20 years and renting cars there is generally crazy cheap and gives you a great deal more flexibility.

Regards
I don't like.visiting areas where I'm getting ripped off in a number of ways. I've found a decent rental car company there but that's a huge rip off industry in Cabo. And ... don't get me started about trying to buy gas without a station that manipulates the price on the pump.

Additionally, if I go out to dinner and have a couple of drinks, I don't want to drive even if I have a rental car at the hotel.

And ... since the hotels charge 150 each way for a service that should be no more that 50, I feel ripped off in Cabo and go there less. Nothing to be confused about.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: US Gold, AA Gold
Transcabo is a shuttle service you can use from the airport to the hotel. It's $37pp round trip. You may have to make a stop or two, depending upon where the other passengers are going, but it's a good deal if there are only two of you. Go to transcabo dot com.

I don't like the hassle of renting a car at the airport but I do like to rent one for a few days. The onsite car rental company at Solaz is Ten Car Rental. It seems to be a an independent car rental company that also has an office at the airport. I've rented from them for the past two years at Hacienda del Mar and they have been fine and competitively priced.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
I have booked eight nights at Solaz in April. I decided mainly based on all the positive feedback here and other sites, as I find the photos I have seen somewhat underwhelming when compared to other top resorts in Cabo. I hope all the praise is justified. Going there with my wife and our four year old son. Any thoughts how kid friendly the place is?

Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by points_maniac
I have booked eight nights at Solaz in April. I decided mainly based on all the positive feedback here and other sites, as I find the photos I have seen somewhat underwhelming when compared to other top resorts in Cabo. I hope all the praise is justified. Going there with my wife and our four year old son. Any thoughts how kid friendly the place is?
Yes it's a lovely lovely place. There is a kids club too where your children can spend some time. I am not sure if you have to stay to supervise but there is definitely staff there running the kids club until about 5pm each day. There are also numerous kiddie pools and well and children's menus at most of the restaurants.

Last edited by jamesgbbc; Mar 2, 2019 at 10:26 am
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
It had been two years since I had visited the Mexican resort of Cabo in Baja California Sur. With its luxury resorts and sprawling beaches, the place has become a magnet for celebrities and sun-seekers alike.

In the time since my last visit, new resorts have sprung up along the tourist corridor that runs between the region's two towns, that of the bustling vacation city of Cabo San Lucas and the quaint historic town of San Jose Del Cabo.

The latest 128-room resort to open lies right in the middle of these two places. The Solaz resort, is part of Marriott’s Luxury Collection brand. The hotel opened in September 2018 which means everything at the resort is brand new.

Just half an hour's drive from Cabo San Jose airport, we were soon at the pristine hotel and pulled into the driveway in the center of which are cactus said to be around 600 years old! We walked into the airy lobby which had views of the Sea of Cortez behind it. I say the lobby was airy both literally and figuratively: there are no doors or windows - and so the sea breezes sweep through the elegant reception.

Before heading to our room, we were given a brief tour of the property by one of the staff members who took us down to where the swimming pool and restaurants were located. Walking through the grounds which are set across various terraces we were told of some interesting facts about the hotel.

One thing in particular that stood out was the overall landscaping design of the gardens and footpaths. With Cabo enjoying a tropical climate, you might expect the place to be lined with palm trees, but we were informed such foliage is not local to the area - and this is reflected in the outdoor landscaping at Solaz which only uses flora that are endemic.

What has been created is a desert landscape with every type of cactus imaginable of all shapes and sizes. There countless other beautiful prickly plants too. From up above, the place can look sparse and unfinished, but down on the grounds a horticultural desert gem has been created using plants that make for a beautiful scene while you roam the property, day or night.

The resort truly displays a different type of Mexican beauty and while it may not be full of typically loud and brash Mexican colors can adorn so many venues in this country, Solaz is still lively and elegant.

After a brief tour we headed up to our room with a magnificent view over the the resort, the beach and ocean beyond. It had been a long day travelling from New York and it would have been tempting to lie down on the king size bed or relax in the hammock which was strung across the balcony but there were other plans afoot. Every few months the hotel hosts a dinner and drinks event on the beach and it just so happened that such an event was being held during our stay.

We headed back down to the beach area where several chairs, tables and a buffet and hot coal barbecue station had been set up on the soft sands.

A band began to play and the smell of hog roasts and rib eye could be smelled as the food cooked over makeshift fire pits which had been dug on the beach. It was the most beautiful setting as the sun set. The perfect welcome to Cabo.

The following morning we began our day as we did on each of day of our stay with a full Mexican breakfast buffet.

Aside from the regular offerings of eggs, bacon and sausages there was a whole host of Mexican pastries, and warm dishes including tostadas (crisp taco shells upon which toppings such as chicken are placed) and quesadillas (soft tortillas folded and filled with chicken or cheese). Each day there would also be at least one Mexican specialty dish. A chef would also cater to any other special requests.

One thing that really impressed me as a germaphobe was that every main dish was completely covered. The breakfast area was at the Cascabel restaurant and partly situated outside offering lovely views over the ocean and of several cactus that had been placed within sight.

After breakfast each morning we would head down through the desert gardens towards the beach and pool areas where waiting pool staff were ready to assist with our choice of lounge chair for the day.

There are five swimming pools from which to choose spread along the beachfront - all with incredible infinity pool views of the sea down below. In fact, once you’ve found your perfect spot you need hardly visit the others.

I am pleased to report the temperature of the pools were perfect. You were able to walk straight in rather then gingerly lower oneself beneath the surface!

There are a number of hot tubs too dotted about the place which I found to be the ideal way to warm up after a quick dip.

Perhaps because there are so many areas from which to choose, even on a holiday weekend it did not feel too crowded and we were always able to secure three sun beds in a row together with an umbrella for shade. There are also a number of kids pools, but such is the relaxed attitude of the place, plenty of children were playing in the larger pools too and nobody seemed to mind very much.

Sitting by the pool is truly when it feels as though the relaxing part of the holiday has begun. We were well looked after by the staff who would come over to see if we had any requests - and occasionally we ordered a beer or cocktail.

One day we also had lunch poolside which saved us the effort of walking towards the actual restaurant, Mako. We definitely became lazier over the course of our four day trip!

A DJ could often be found poolside and I found the music to be a really good modern mix, played at a reasonable volume so as not to totally dominate the atmosphere.

And when we weren’t ordering food to our deckchairs, we were able to dine at the nearby restaurant which offered decent food including salads, burgers, chicken tenders, fish goujons and quesadillas.

The food was of a good quality however we were troubled by flies which seemed to descend as soon as they saw the food arrive. Staff brought out bowls filled with hot coals and rosemary in an attempt to dispel them but it didn’t seem to make much difference.

One morning I decided to try the Ojo de Liebre spa. This is a thoroughly relaxing experience as a masseuse gave me an all-over-body massage. I had an hour-long experience but the time really flew by.

The 10,000 square foot spa offers various pools and wave machines, saunas, steam rooms and a Himalayan Salt igloo (supposed to help with your pores!).

Either way, you could easily spend hours at the spa without realizing it, although after my treatment I was keen to get back to the endless sunshine.

Overall, this was a great few days at the Solaz. I overheard many conversations between guests saying how much they enjoyed the property with many declaring it to be the one by which all future hotels in the area will be measured by.

If that does turn out to be the case, the standards have been set exceptionally high which can only be a good thing for Cabo.

Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report with pictures. Was the full Mexican breakfast the Plat amenity option? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
Solaz is in Cabo no man's land, so the number of cars available was very low when we were there. We could not get a car to confirm a pick at the hotel and I have read about Ubers being turned away at other resorts in Cabo. I assumed them getting turned away was part of the reason they would not confirm a pickup. I am sure Uber will get better in Cabo overtime but expect the taxi cartel to fight hard.
The Uber situation has greatly improved and now there is never more than a 10-15 minute or so for a car to come by. Later at night it can be harder, however.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the trip report with pictures. Was the full Mexican breakfast the Plat amenity option? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.
Cheers.
Yes - you get the full breakfast which is worth $30 per person each day. Great value!
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Yes - you get the full breakfast which is worth $30 per person each day. Great value!
Thanks - will update the exec lounge sticky. Looks like a lovely property.

Cheers.
bhrubin and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Happy to find a points reservation in mid-May for solo break. Anyone know the difference between the main building "superior" and "grand" rooms? I'm guessing the latter are just higher floors because the description looks the same.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by chazas
Happy to find a points reservation in mid-May for solo break. Anyone know the difference between the main building "superior" and "grand" rooms? I'm guessing the latter are just higher floors because the description looks the same.
I have been wondering the same thing. Going there from April 12 to April 20 and will see what I find out,

From the pictures it seems that the superior rooms in the non-gallery building are ground floor, and the grand rooms are higher floors. In the gallery building it seems that they are all ground floor, but the grand rooms have a better location (e.g., closer to the ocean).
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by points_maniac
I have been wondering the same thing. Going there from April 12 to April 20 and will see what I find out,

From the pictures it seems that the superior rooms in the non-gallery building are ground floor, and the grand rooms are higher floors. In the gallery building it seems that they are all ground floor, but the grand rooms have a better location (e.g., closer to the ocean).
Let us know, and have fun!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
"Titanium Elite" looking for a points redemption at 60,000 points at this property in July, or else 35k or 45k at Sheraton or JW. Is it worth the premium in points?

Did anyone have updates re: on the breakfast buffet for gold/platinum elites?
Did you find out about the benefits for Plat or Titanium Elite? Our two kids will be 3 and 5 years old when we go so I wonder if they will get free breakfast as well or it’s strictly TWO per room?

Please help!

Thanks
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:32 pm

I stayed at Solaz for 8 nights in April. A few things:

1: Grand rooms are generally the same as superior rooms, but at a higher elevation, so they have a better ocean view.
2: I received full breakfast benefit as a titanium elite. I imagine the same is true for platinum elites,
3: I prefer the gallery rooms over the main building rooms as the entrances are not exposed to the road.

We had a very nice stay. The resort is very nice and service was very good.

chazas and bhrubin like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:57 am

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Has anyone had success here using SNA Suite upgrades or just getting Suite upgrade at checkin (Titanium)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.