Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort, Los Cabos, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort, Los Cabos, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold and Current Platinum, Hilton Gold
Bummer, hope it doesn't leave Marriott. Was hoping to visit the property this fall.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6
Have others ran into issues with making reservations at this hotel? I'm trying to book for a stay in October and I was previously able to book 2 out of the 3 nights needed on points and was holding off on the 3rd due to fluctuating award inventory. However, I decided to simply book that last night with cash but now there's not a single date showing any availability for the next year (cash rate, nothing special selected in the rate filters). All the website says is "not available for check-in" when I use the search. I highly doubt that every single night for the next year suddenly sold out this week, but any other ideas as to what might be going on?
I just tried as well and was not able to. I have a five day award stay in November, does anyone know if they will honor confirmed reservations? Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott AMB, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by trueblue101357
I just tried as well and was not able to. I have a five day award stay in November, does anyone know if they will honor confirmed reservations? Thanks.
I was told by an employee today that they’re actually shutting down unexpectedly starting this Sunday for at least 3-6 months. Not sure of the real reason since they were booked essentially at capacity until the end of the year.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6
Have others ran into issues with making reservations at this hotel? I'm trying to book for a stay in October and I was previously able to book 2 out of the 3 nights needed on points and was holding off on the 3rd due to fluctuating award inventory. However, I decided to simply book that last night with cash but now there's not a single date showing any availability for the next year (cash rate, nothing special selected in the rate filters). All the website says is "not available for check-in" when I use the search. I highly doubt that every single night for the next year suddenly sold out this week, but any other ideas as to what might be going on?
Originally Posted by windowtothewall
I was told by an employee today that they’re actually shutting down unexpectedly starting this Sunday for at least 3-6 months. Not sure of the real reason since they were booked essentially at capacity until the end of the year.
Oh no, I wonder what happened because they were so busy lately.

Does Marriot have an official policy for these types of situations?

Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:06 pm

This is worrying. I have my wedding anniversary booked there in august

I just did some random close in date searches and it does not appear
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:17 pm

IT problem. Marriott is aware and working on it
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 4:52 am

Oh no, I wonder what happened because they were so busy lately.

Does Marriot have an official policy for these types of situations?

Thanks.
Staff was told it is maintenance related, but seems odd for such a new property.

Originally Posted by brittex
This is worrying. I have my wedding anniversary booked there in august

I just did some random close in date searches and it does not appear
Marriott usually tries to re-accommodate at other hotels (Probably JW in this case?) but I don’t think they’re obligated to under any T&Cs. Either way, better to control your own destiny in these circumstances so I’d recommend having a backup reservation with flexible cancellation policy for someplace else just in case..
Old Jul 10, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: None - previously UA
They may also just offer to accommodate you at Solaz with the understanding you would get no benefits and earn no points.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by randomdude
IT problem. Marriott is aware and working on it
IT issues or maintenance? Also what kind of maintenance problem takes 3-6 months to repair?
Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
They may also just offer to accommodate you at Solaz with the understanding you would get no benefits and earn no points.
Can you please expand on this? Is this something they regularly do and why wouldn't you be able to earn points out of curiosity? Thanks so much!
Old Jul 10, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Unfortunately, and I hope I'm wrong, "shutting down unexpectedly" smells like this property may indeed be leaving Marriott and this might be the time necessary to rebrand/refresh. I just can't fathom any other reason a high end property in one of the hottest pandemic/post pandemic destinations going right now, and which likely lost a ton of income during Covid, would willing shutdown for 3 to 6 months. As new as this property is its difficult to comprehend a "maintenance" issue that would require shuttering the entire property for up to 6 months...

Again, hope very much that I'm wrong but...

Regards
Old Jul 10, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Can you please expand on this? Is this something they regularly do and why wouldn't you be able to earn points out of curiosity? Thanks so much!
If they leave Marriott, then obviously they would no longer be a participant in the Marriott Bonvoy program and would be under no obligation, whatsoever, to honor Bonvoy terms and conditions (and actually, once they have formally left Marriott, I'm not even sure they have the capability to award points).

So they could choose to honor the rate, etc. but if they leave Marriott Bonvoy, then you would likely not receive any benefits of that program.

Regards
Old Jul 10, 2021, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Unfortunately, and I hope I'm wrong, "shutting down unexpectedly" smells like this property may indeed be leaving Marriott and this might be the time necessary to rebrand/refresh. I just can't fathom any other reason a high end property in one of the hottest pandemic/post pandemic destinations going right now, and which likely lost a ton of income during Covid, would willing shutdown for 3 to 6 months. As new as this property is its difficult to comprehend a "maintenance" issue that would require shuttering the entire property for up to 6 months...

Again, hope very much that I'm wrong but...

Regards
They’re definitely closing down. All staff was advised that they would need to find new jobs. Some might be able to transfer to nearby Marriotts but unlikely they’ll have positions available for the hundreds of staff who are currently at Solaz. Truly a terrible situation for employees, many of whom are just coming back from 50% salary stipends while properties were closed during COVID.

I heard today that the reason appears to be structural issues with the building. Apparently after the Miami condo collapse, many buildings have started performing emergency inspections, and they found some issues at Solaz. Very surprising considering it opened in 2018.

Last edited by windowtothewall; Jul 10, 2021 at 11:37 am
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by windowtothewall
They’re definitely closing down. All staff was advised that they would need to find new jobs.

I heard today that the reason appears to be structural issues with the building. Apparently after the Miami condo collapse, many buildings have started performing emergency inspections, and they found some issues at Solaz. Very surprising considering it opened in 2018.
that's concerning...
source?
Old Jul 10, 2021, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu
I can only tell what Marriott.com says and that there is not a single date available for check in through the end of the year, even into 2022. (The Westin down the road, however, their availability calendar is working just fine) I have difficulty believing you'd need that much time to rebrand. I mean this is a Lux Collection, it's as unbranded as Marriott properties get. You could get rid of all vestiges of Marriott in a couple to a few days.

Truly shocking if the above is true, I was there less than a month ago, and it was bar none one of my best Marriott brand stays, ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.