Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

African Pride Arabella Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, S. Africa [Master Thread]

African Pride Arabella Hotel & Spa, Autograph Collection, S. Africa [Master Thread]

Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Cat 3 property.

Marriott press release:

Marriott Golf Continues its Global Expansion, Adding Property in South Africa | Marriott News Center

Arabella Golf Club, located at the Arabella Hotel & Spa, South Africa, an African Pride Hotel, joins Marriott’s Premier Collection of Worldwide Managed Golf Courses

Marriott Golf, the global golf division of Marriott International, Inc., today announced further global expansion, with it’s first-ever managed golf resort property in South Africa, the Arabella Golf Club, located in Hermanus, South Africa, near Cape Town. This expansion news comes on the heels of Marriott Golf adding resort golf facilities in Fiji, New Caledonia, Uruguay, Spain, and Portugal in 2017.

Surrounded by the magnificent Kogelberg mountain range and Bot River Lagoon, and edged by wild fynbos, the picturesque Arabella Golf Course is the ideal place to pursue a passion for golf and enjoy an ideal golf holiday. The 18-hole, Par 72 Championship course has consistently been ranked in the top 10 courses in South Africa. The 8th hole has been described as one of the most beautiful par 5’s in South Africa and the 18th hole was rated one of the finest finishing holes in the country.

The course was designed and built by the acclaimed South African golf course architect Peter Matkovich in 1999. Since then, many professionals and celebrities have enjoyed the Arabella Golf experience, including Jack Nicklaus, Samuel L. Jackson, Ernie Els, Retief Goosen, Lee Westwood, Tim Clark, and Gary Player.

Hotel website:

5 Star Resort Hotel in Hermanus, Western Cape | Arabella Hotel & Spa

An exciting adventure awaits at the Arabella Hotel & Spa. Situated in the heart of the Kogelberg Biosphere, close to Hermanus' world-famous whale watching destinations, our hotel invites you to explore a distinctive combination of luxury and convenience. Visit us here in South Africa to discover contemporary accommodation and a wide range of five-star amenities. We showcase exquisite on-site dining options, an award winning spa, a fully equipped fitness center, multiple swimming pools and more. In addition, our signature golf course is ranked in the top 10 in all of South Africa.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:30 am
Community Director Emerita

Nice find, Sharon. I stayed at this hotel years ago when it was a Starwood property. I liked both the hotel and Hermanus very much. I'm delighted to see it back in the fold again.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...er-thread.html
Old May 24, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I stayed here back when it was a Sheraton too. Very nice and we did indeed see the whales from the pier at the nearby port.

I just read that this property is changing to Autograph collection. Not surprised.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: BA GFL/GGL/CCR, SPG Plat for Life, HHDiamond, xG Aegean, Avis President's Circle
They used to have an excellent spa when still under the Luxury Collection management. Shame about the incommodious outdoor pool with the subpar rivalry for a spare lounger. But it’s a real paradise for golfers and whale watchers. Not sure about everyone else.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by MGUK
They used to have an excellent spa when still under the Luxury Collection management.
Yes a good spa too. I know this was mentioned in the old Sheraton thread about this property, but it should probably be repeated here for foreign visitors who aren't aware of Dutch tradition. The spa area is clothing optional. And most people when I was there chose the nude option. Except for a few shocked and red-faced Americans.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 1:06 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
currently this is branded under the Marriott Autograph Collection.

booked just one night, a friday night here, on points, as a marriott platinum.

we were upgraded (suite night awards) to a one br pond facing room, at room 500 which is the top first room. it had an exposed sun deck, sun chairs, and table. giant living room, bedroom, and massive bathroom with tub. very impressive room.

the pool area is outside very expansive and nice and all guests have access to the spa/solarium which has a room temp/lukewarm bath, cool spray, sauna and steam bath.

there is also putt putt which was the only thing made available to us as we were not allowed to use the putting green for fun.

restaurant we only did for breakfast. for dinner we went to Le Chalet in Fisherhaven which we HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest. gourmet and memorable. anyways the breakfast spread was expansive but alright. service was overwhelmed, all very nice but definitely disorganized an short staffed so you just gotta get one's attention if you want more coffee. but it was a nice breakfast. i think the night before they had seafood buffet for 275zar or something, but we happy we did Le Chalet. and so will you.

platinums get: 1 drink and 1 snack or 1000 points, and on our points reservation made thru marriott.com, they extended to us a free breakfast each.
platinum lounge was 1700-1900 in a separate section of the lobby bar. they served us the gin beverage which was nice and also canapes including blackened shrimp. lots of fun.

yes, nothing to do around here but golf or putt-putt, but we had a car and wanted a day to laze around the pool, nap, spa, sun bathe, and taste wine for a day.

the staff here were very nice said they were very happy to have elite members staying at their place on award/points stays. it seems to be very western cape sort of clientele, we were the only americans we noticed on a spring weekend with house @ ~ 90%
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by cur; Nov 16, 2019 at 1:15 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.