Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Osaka, Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Am visiting Japan for first time, arriving in Osaka for 2 days. Flying into KIX. Am SPG Plat - have choice between Westin or Sheraton at good rates. Is one location better than another for transport from KIX, touring while in Osaka, and leaving via train to Kyoto? I'm travelling by myself, and can manage my own luggage. Westin is the higher category level hotel - don't know if it's better than Sheraton, considering I'll likely get an upgrade.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by NonStopTraveler
Am visiting Japan for first time, arriving in Osaka for 2 days. Flying into KIX. Am SPG Plat - have choice between Westin or Sheraton at good rates. Is one location better than another for transport from KIX, touring while in Osaka, and leaving via train to Kyoto? I'm travelling by myself, and can manage my own luggage. Westin is the higher category level hotel - don't know if it's better than Sheraton, considering I'll likely get an upgrade.
Westin is near to but not connected to Osaka station.
it is the better option for your requirements though.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Do you like Westin better as a hotel, or because of it's location?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
I have stayed at both the Sheraton and the Westin
The location of the Westin is really good with a underpass connected to Grand Front Osaka which have a lot of restaurants and shops. The Osaka Stn is walkable but its not a short trek and is not recommend with a lot of luggage, you can take the shuttle bus though which makes it easy.
The Sheraton is located next to the Subway stn and short stroll from Korea Town in Osaka with a lot restaurants.
The rooms are nicer at the Westin than the Sheraton, the exec lounge at the Westin is nicer with free flow of champagne (not sparkling wine) for 2h.
Breakfast at both places are not top notch and a little uninspired.

Among the Marriott hotels the Osaka Marriott Miyako is very nice property in the highest building in Japan with a very nice exec lounge with a great view, no champagne when I was there though. Located next to a Subway station.

If you plan to use JR to travel the region during the day, Courtyard By Marriott Shin Osaka Station is not a bad choice with a decent lounge and adjacent to the station, however the surrounding area is mostly offices. Good Breakfast.

Have no experience with the RC and StR
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by X-ON
I have stayed at both the Sheraton and the Westin
The location of the Westin is really good with a underpass connected to Grand Front Osaka which have a lot of restaurants and shops. The Osaka Stn is walkable but its not a short trek and is not recommend with a lot of luggage, you can take the shuttle bus though which makes it easy.
The Sheraton is located next to the Subway stn and short stroll from Korea Town in Osaka with a lot restaurants.
The rooms are nicer at the Westin than the Sheraton, the exec lounge at the Westin is nicer with free flow of champagne (not sparkling wine) for 2h.
Breakfast at both places are not top notch and a little uninspired.

Among the Marriott hotels the Osaka Marriott Miyako is very nice property in the highest building in Japan with a very nice exec lounge with a great view, no champagne when I was there though. Located next to a Subway station.

If you plan to use JR to travel the region during the day, Courtyard By Marriott Shin Osaka Station is not a bad choice with a decent lounge and adjacent to the station, however the surrounding area is mostly offices. Good Breakfast.

Have no experience with the RC and StR
The StR is a very small one. Limited breakfast options. Service is okay.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The lounge at the Sheraton is poor. No room upgrade when I stayed as a Platinum. For some context, it used to be a Category 2 hotel, but the award category has been rising along with Osaka room rates...

It does have reasonable transport links though. IIRC it's right next to the private train line to Nara, if that is on your list of places to visit. It's an easier day trip from the Sheraton than it is from Kyoto.

I've also heard good things from a friend about the Courtyard and its lounge, especially as a base for day trips to Himeji, Kyoto, etc.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
St Regis Osaka located directly above Hommachi subway station
They have direct link to the station
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - based on the input, I'm going to choose Westin for this trip. St. Regis looks great, but I'm trying to economize where I can since I'm at the Prince Gallery , an SPG luxury collection hotel in Tokyo, for 4 nights later in the trip. 2 nights in Osaka on cash and points is just fine. I'll post a hotel review after my stay.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Not in time for your stay, but the W Osaka is opening up in 2021.

Marriott press release:

Irasshaimase* Japan! W Hotels Scheduled to Debut in Osaka in 2021 | Marriott News Center

"With a stunning building façade designed by Osaka-based Tadao Ando, W Osaka sits amidst the indie boutiques and restaurants of the city’s main thoroughfare on Mido-Suji Boulevard, allowing guests immediate access to luxury shopping and insider experiences along the Gingko tree-lined street. Just an hour from Kansai International Airport, W Osaka will offer convenient access to this stunning urban oasis and the local thrills of Dōtonbori, Osaka’s popular nightlife and entertainment district. Travelers looking to explore one of Japan’s most intoxicatingly beautiful and eccentric destinations will be able to connect to fabulous neighborhoods via the Osaka Loop Line which boasts 12 convenient stops throughout the city."
joakgarp likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
If you're not dead set on doing a lot of things in Osaka, strongly suggest you skip Osaka and just go to Kyoto. Kyoto Station to Osaka Station only takes 30mins on the express JR trains, so you could still make a day trip. Of course, since you're arriving at KIX, Osaka is sorta "on the way".
Central90210 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, gengar. I would normally go directly to Kyoto since it looks to be the more interesting place, and full of amazing sights. But I have a lot of time. After Osaka, I have 5 full days in Kyoto. I'm coming from the west coast in USA, so the couple of days after landing at KIX will get me back on the proper time zone, see a little bit of Osaka, and get to Kyoto fresh and ready to go. After that, I'm walking the Nakasendo Trail for 6 days , then on to Tokyo. Looking forward to seeing a lot of different sides of Japan.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Originally Posted by gengar
If you're not dead set on doing a lot of things in Osaka, strongly suggest you skip Osaka and just go to Kyoto. Kyoto Station to Osaka Station only takes 30mins on the express JR trains, so you could still make a day trip. Of course, since you're arriving at KIX, Osaka is sorta "on the way".
can you also say that if you stay in Osaka, you can easily go to Kyoto for a day trip?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sandyph
can you also say that if you stay in Osaka, you can easily go to Kyoto for a day trip?
I wouldn't say "easily". If you stay near Osaka Station (or Shin-Osaka) you're a short train ride away.

However Kyoto is a much bigger place than many people realise. So not only do you spend 30-60 minutes getting to Kyoto station, but then you need to add lots of time to get to the part of Kyoto you want to visit that day.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I wouldn't say "easily". If you stay near Osaka Station (or Shin-Osaka) you're a short train ride away.

However Kyoto is a much bigger place than many people realise. So not only do you spend 30-60 minutes getting to Kyoto station, but then you need to add lots of time to get to the part of Kyoto you want to visit that day.
was planning to stay at courtyard shin-osaka since it's just next to the JR (and also have the lowest rate for all SPG/Marr beside Moxy Osaka).

Is it really not convenience for a day trip?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Not in time for your stay, but the W Osaka is opening up in 2021.

Marriott press release:

Irasshaimase* Japan! W Hotels Scheduled to Debut in Osaka in 2021 Marriott News Center

"With a stunning building façade designed by Osaka-based Tadao Ando, W Osaka sits amidst the indie boutiques and restaurants of the city’s main thoroughfare on Mido-Suji Boulevard, allowing guests immediate access to luxury shopping and insider experiences along the Gingko tree-lined street. Just an hour from Kansai International Airport, W Osaka will offer convenient access to this stunning urban oasis and the local thrills of Dōtonbori, Osaka’s popular nightlife and entertainment district. Travelers looking to explore one of Japan’s most intoxicatingly beautiful and eccentric destinations will be able to connect to fabulous neighborhoods via the Osaka Loop Line which boasts 12 convenient stops throughout the city."
Awesome! It's gonna be great. Have been missing a W hotel in Japan and I'm glad Marriott and SPG are building up more hotels. Osaka is one of my favourite cities next to Tokyo with Marriott Osaka as my base with to go hotel when travelling to Kyoto, Kobe, Hiroshima etc.

Originally Posted by sandyph
was planning to stay at courtyard shin-osaka since it's just next to the JR (and also have the lowest rate for all SPG/Marr beside Moxy Osaka).

Is it really not convenience for a day trip?
Never stayed at the Courtyard but the location at Shin-Osaka is superb if you wish to travel to Kyoto, Kobe etc. The lower rate is great as well.
Marriott Miyako in Tennoji is pretty expensive these days when it's so popular. Besides if you are travelling from Tennoji to Kyoto the train will have to pass Shin-Osaka anyway which is a bit annoying. Go for the Courtyard.

Last edited by joakgarp; Mar 7, 2018 at 4:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.