Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moxy Chicago Downtown [Master Thread]

Old Mar 3, 18, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Opening June '18. Cat 7..

Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/tr...cago-downtown/

River North is the epi-center for fun in Chicago. There's a night club on every block, art galleries galore, and new restaurants seem to pop up overnight

Hello, gorgeous. We're Moxy Chicago Downtown, opening Spring 2018 in Chicago's designated playground zone, River North. Brimming with nightclubs, gastronomical decadence, and America's largest concentration of art galleries, it's a wonder we even found room for Moxy Chicago Downtown in this neighborhood! Your first stop needs to be our yet to be dubbed taco counter which will also have a 24/7 outdoor walk-up window on LaSalle Drive in case you need to take your taco to go. Take it to your room and be mesmerized by the magic of motion sensor lighting, 49-inch LED TVs, ample USB and power outlets, and, of course, blazing fast + free WiFi. Whether it's the short stroll to the Magnificent Mile, doing your 9-5 at one of the many nearby offices, or just tripping over club after club, there are plenty of reasons to get out and play on at Moxy Chicago Downtown.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Mar 31, 18 at 7:44 pm
Old May 11, 18, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Officially open. Marriott press release:

Chicago?s River North Neighborhood Gets Playful With The Opening Of The City?s First Moxy Hotel | Marriott News Center

Excerpt:

...the 156-bedroom hotel, situated on the corner of Grand Avenue and LaSalle Drive, fully embraces modern fun-hunting travelers with its spirit and style.

Bar Moxy in the lobby will be the hub of the hotel, serving as the “front desk” where guests check in, receive their room key and sip a complimentary ‘Got Moxy’ signature cocktail. The bar will also be the place to drink, eat, and socialize where the energy will build throughout the day. The morning features a laid back vibe and is the only place in River North to get the local premium coffee, Passion House. During the day it is a place to linger, work, and meet, but later, it will become “the place to be” for happy hour and features a curated music program into the evening with activations including spinning DJs and the Moxy SoundOff booth, featuring live podcasting and psychic readings.

Moxy Chicago Downtown will be home to Zombie Taco, which is a 24-7 food truck inspired concept with global flavors serving tacos, healthy bowls, burritos, and other fresh, made-to-order items. Zombie Taco will be the ideal stop for lunch, the perfect fuel to keep the night going, and everything in between. Need your taco to go? Try the walk-up window located on LaSalle for quick convenient service. For those looking for other food options, head to Moxy Pick-Ups in Bar Moxy, for locally roasted coffee, baked goods, freshly prepared grab-and-go items, and locally sourced snacks from unique brands."

Cheers.
getagb likes this.
Old May 11, 18, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott/SPG Amb, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks for the notice. I will probably stop by for Passion House coffee, which is excellent, but I probably won’t stay here after that epic review of the Moxy near LHR
Old May 14, 18, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum, National Executive
I drove by this hotel for the first time the other day. Passion House is a great coffee roaster and Chicago Mexican food is definitely underrated. There were some cheap December rates I found ~$100 for a possible mattress run if needed... not the cheapest, but still always fun to check out new hotels!
Old Oct 21, 18, 5:07 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Any recent stays here? Would like to know how they treat PLATs
Old Oct 26, 18, 8:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott. Hyatt. WN. National. Avis.
Tentatively have a stay planned for Nov 6-7...looking forward to it
Old Nov 9, 18, 9:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai View Post
Any recent stays here? Would like to know how they treat PLATs
Just had a stay here this week. Personally, I liked the property, but I can easily see that it wouldn't be for everyone. Some things I observed:

1. The Check-In is the bar. Some may say this is a great thing, but it's definitely different. And when they say "we'll have your drink waiting for you" on their website, emails, etc...they mean it. I checked in and they asked if I wanted my check-in cocktail. Some sort of rum punch. Pretty tasty.
---->My platinum premiere status was acknowledged, and I was offered points or a food/beverage credit.

2. The rooms are pretty small and basic, think a smaller version of an AC room mixed with Aloft (if you've stayed at one of those). Very modern. I liked the bed, wasn't crazy about the pillows. The shower was small but good water pressure.They selected good toiletries. There is no iron in the bedroom. Each floor has a communal ironing area.

3. Back to the lobby -- truly eclectic, but it appealed to me. Different board/card cames littered throughout the spacious area. Giant jenga, monopoly, connect four, cards against humanity, etc....there's also a retro arcade table game setup toward the back. Worth noting -- there is no bathroom in the lobby area. You have to go upstairs to the second floor (there's a sign over the doorway leading to the stairs, and there's writing on the stairs/walls pointing the way).

4. Food -- there's a taco bar that's accessible inside and outside of the property. I only had a breakfast taco to go, but it was pretty good.

If you like a quiet, relaxing evening after a long day of work/travel -- this is probably not the property for you. But if you want something a little different and maybe the chance to mingle with some random folks in a VERY casual atmosphere, give it a shot. Depending on the hotel rate at the time, I'd consider staying here again.
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
I stayed at this hotel last week. I was acknowledged as an Ambassador member, and given a poker chip good for a drink at the bar upon check-in.

I'm a business traveler, and I'm not 21 years old (anymore.)

This hotel is trying to be Euro-chic, or something like that. I was severely under-impressed...But I recognize that this style of hotel could appeal to some.

There are no desks in the room, unless you count the VERY small fold-out thing on the wall. No chair for the desk-thing, but if you pull out the bench underneath, it's serviceable. There are no box springs under the mattress, just a hard wood slab. The room I had was barely large enough to hold my stuff + my partner's stuff. If we both wanted to be on our laptops, one of us was on the bed. As @obunewbie17 said, there are no irons in the rooms. There are communal irons every other floor, so be prepared to do your ironing in public. Sink is in the middle of the room. Separate toilet and shower areas, both small.

The bar area is LOUD after work. It's hip. It's cool. It's not for me.

I didn't have any of the Zombie Tacos, as I found other food in the area much more appealing. The River North neighborhood is very nice and well-stocked with bars and restaurants, so I couldn't see ever eating at the take-out-only ZT.

If all Moxy's are like this, I'll never stay at another one again.

-mvitale
Old May 23, 19, 2:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mvitale View Post
I didn't have any of the Zombie Tacos, as I found other food in the area much more appealing. The River North neighborhood is very nice and well-stocked with bars and restaurants, so I couldn't see ever eating at the take-out-only ZT.
-mvitale
Honestly this quote kind of sums up how I feel about the property in general. There's other stuff in the area that I typically find more appealing. Downtown Chicago just has so many properties to choose from.

I can't say I'd NEVER stay at another Moxy again (or even just this location) -- but there has to be a pretty lengthy set of circumstances to make me choose this property over a handful of others nearby that I'd prefer.
Old Sep 3, 19, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Redeemed a 25K cert for a quick one night get away in the city with my wife. Reserved only room that was available which was a queen bed with a bunk over the top of it. Quick review:
-Was contacted via email ahead of time and responded to the welcome email asking for a King bed room vs. what we booked. Responded quickly that they didn't have any King beds in the property...but they did upgrade us to a corner room with a city view and a Queen bed.
-We are both late 40's and while this place might be a little "too cool" for us...we enjoyed our stay for one night.
- Check in was VERY efficient and given a welcome drink. Not our favorite, but not horrible either. Chose the $20 in food and beverage...was given two $10 poker chips to spend in the hotel.
-Room is VERY small. Was perfect for a one night get away, but more than one night with two people would be rough. Bed was comfortable and the view from the corner room was pretty nice. We basically dropped our stuff and left for a concert.
-Upon returning we used our two chips for a night cap at the bar/restaurant. Service was great, and they had a live DJ. Volume was perfect, which is unusual for these types of places. We were able to enjoy the music and not scream at each other.
-Decided to have another drink after a guest gave us their two free drink chips :-)...had to get a couple zombie tacos as well. Highly recommend them for a small late night bite...try the jalapeno bacon taco. DELICIOUS!
-Extended a 2pm check out via communication via the app.

Overall fun for the right scenario. Would go back again if the same scenario for sure!
obunewbie17 and christianj like this.

Last edited by bsdstone; Sep 3, 19 at 9:55 am Reason: Picture didn't attach.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: