Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Delta Hotels Anaheim Garden Grove, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Opening April 2018. Cat 7.

Hotel website (not much info yet). Located on Harbor Blvd.

https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/tr...-garden-grove/
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Not a new property. Currently a Wyndham and before that a Crowne Plaza. Was sold and being rebranded under Marriott.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300577821.html
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I never realized the Crowne Plaza became a Wyndham.

The "new" Delta Hotels Anaheim Garden Grove is directly between two other full-service Marriott/Starwood properties: Sheraton Garden Grove Anaheim South Hotel (to its south) and Anaheim Marriott Suites (to its north).

Although all these hotels include "Anaheim" in their names, they are in Garden Grove, the town south of Anaheim. The walk to the entrances of Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure is around two miles each way. Although this is doable, it's a rather long walk.

There are many other hotels, including other Marriott-affiliated hotels, that are a mile or less from the park entrances. At that point, it becomes more convenient to walk than to deal with Disneyland's parking situation.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Just had a 2-night stay booked here. Checked out after one night and moved about 100 feet north to the Marriott Anaheim Suites, which is a perfectly standard acceptable property. The Sheraton (100 feet south) is also a great property. This property, sadly, is not.

-I cycled through three rooms trying to find one with a working HVAC system. Having surveyed a few rooms, I can say the physical plant is pretty beaten up.
-Ended up with a room without a digital thermostat. But it got cold, so that was fine.
-Maintenance issues like a running toilet and a flooded shower/tub cropped up as well.
-Some of the soft product is now Delta branded. Some (like the shampoo brand O2 which I associate with many Best Westerns) is not.
-I am a Marriott Platinum now. They upgraded me to the executive level, which is a euphemism for a Keurig machine in the room.
-Two Nestle Pure Life water bottles were free.
-Room has glassware cups. No body gel.
-Breakfast: I was handed a coupon for "continental" breakfast. When I presented it in the morning, the waiter pointed at the entire buffet and invited me to partake. So in practice the breakfast is a full one. There is an omelette station.

I checked out a day early and schmoozed the assistant GM. They plan a 9-month full-scale room renovation (to happen in sections). No contractors are on site yet, however. They have replaced 90% of staff since the hotel changeover.

I think this hotel is not flying the Marriott flag at full mast. I would recommend staying next door until you can get a renovated room.

PS The hotel was full of Singapore Airlines flight attendants and crew. Made for good people watching.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stvr
Just had a 2-night stay booked here. Checked out after one night and moved about 100 feet north to the Marriott Anaheim Suites, which is a perfectly standard acceptable property. The Sheraton (100 feet south) is also a great property. This property, sadly, is not.

-I cycled through three rooms trying to find one with a working HVAC system. Having surveyed a few rooms, I can say the physical plant is pretty beaten up.
-Ended up with a room without a digital thermostat. But it got cold, so that was fine.
-Maintenance issues like a running toilet and a flooded shower/tub cropped up as well.
-Some of the soft product is now Delta branded. Some (like the shampoo brand O2 which I associate with many Best Westerns) is not.
-I am a Marriott Platinum now. They upgraded me to the executive level, which is a euphemism for a Keurig machine in the room.
-Two Nestle Pure Life water bottles were free.
-Room has glassware cups. No body gel.
-Breakfast: I was handed a coupon for "continental" breakfast. When I presented it in the morning, the waiter pointed at the entire buffet and invited me to partake. So in practice the breakfast is a full one. There is an omelette station.

I checked out a day early and schmoozed the assistant GM. They plan a 9-month full-scale room renovation (to happen in sections). No contractors are on site yet, however. They have replaced 90% of staff since the hotel changeover.

I think this hotel is not flying the Marriott flag at full mast. I would recommend staying next door until you can get a renovated room.

PS The hotel was full of Singapore Airlines flight attendants and crew. Made for good people watching.
1. What brand(s) are the standards for Delta hotels?

I stayed at this location just over a month ago, and it had a mix of one brand (O2) for the bath soap, another brand for the minibottles, and perhaps a third brand for the hand soap.

2. Did they also offer you a 500-point Platinum check-in? When i stayed, they confusingly asked whether I wanted points or breakfast or an F&B coupon. I said breakfast, but my stay hasn't posted yet (despite a missing stay request made several weeks ago), so I don;t know if they would have given me the Platinum check-in bonus along with the breakfast coupon or not!

I agree, this hotel is only worth it (if you're price conscious) on the nights when it's significantly less than the Marriott Suites next door. I'm going back there a couple times (for one night each time) in early June only because they dropped their rates drastically from what they were first trying..
Old May 27, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
1. What brand(s) are the standards for Delta hotels?
The standard at Delta is Apothia Wave. They had conditioner that was Apothia Wave but nothing else. I guess they're cycling through the old stuff before they move onto the new stuff.

As to the check-in decision tree, I was offered 500 points or $10 F&B voucher. I was also given a breakfast coupon. No one mentioned that I could return the breakfast coupon for 750 points (I'm a pretty new Marriott Platinum), so I don't know what their policy is on that, though Anaheim Marriott Suites encouraged it.

My stay has also not posted, though many other subsequent stays at other properties have posted since.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The standard at Delta is Apothia Wave. They had conditioner that was Apothia Wave but nothing else. I guess they're cycling through the old stuff before they move onto the new stuff.

As to the check-in decision tree, I was offered 500 points or $10 F&B voucher. I was also given a breakfast coupon. No one mentioned that I could return the breakfast coupon for 750 points (I'm a pretty new Marriott Platinum), so I don't know what their policy is on that, though Anaheim Marriott Suites encouraged it.

My stay has also not posted, though many other subsequent stays at other properties have posted since.
I stayed there again almost a week ago (last Tue nigh), and once again it's not posting. I'm noticing the statements the give me at checkout (I always request a printed copy since I fear it won't post without that), I've noticed they don't have my Marriott Rewards number on there (even though the people at check-in recognize my status). I wonder if this has anything to do with the stay not posting?

On this stay, they last king room (which I had reserved) was marked "dirty", and the front desk called to find out why, and was told there was a leak, so I happily took a 2 queen bed room that was dry instead of getting a leaky room.

All the amenities in the bathroom this time were consistently the brand you just mentioned. So presumably they used up the "wrong" brands by now.

They never asked me about parking on check-in, and at check-out they mentioned that I just had room charges and parking, at which point I had to point out that I didn't use the parking, and they took it off. (I didn't have that problem on my first stay in April.)

OTOH, they got the points and breakfast right at check-in. They asked "you want the points, right" to which I said "yes", and then they gave me the breakfast voucher.

I have 3 more one-night stays there this month, just because I got such cheap weekday rates (AAA $97 or in one case $93), when they put the hotel "on sale" for much of the month of June a couple weeks ago for a few days. They seemed desperate, in that they tried to undercut every other Marriott family property in the greater Anaheim area with those rates.

On this latest stay, I actually ran into other people in the elevator (I never did on the April stay), and had to wait for a couple other people at check-in (neither of which was the case in April). But the hotel still didn't' seem heavily booked, just not as lightly booked as before.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IAll the amenities in the bathroom this time were consistently the brand you just mentioned. So presumably they used up the "wrong" brands by now.
Well, I may have not payed close enough attention on that last stay. On another stay last night, they had Apothia Wave facial soap, but Sb for everything else (bath bar, and all 3 bottles). And that's what I think it may actually have been the previous week.

So I'm not sure what they were / are using up, if they went from O2 bath bar to Sb bath bar when you say it's supposed to be Apothia Wave bath bar.

Meanwhile, I asked them about points not posting automatically, and they said they're aware of it, and claimed it's because they're new to the Marriott program.

On this stay, after upgrading me to king + sofa (which is the upgrade the Marriott website keeps urging me to pay $12 or whatever for), without actually mentioning that it was upgrade (i just know I reserved the normal king), the check-in person apologized for putting me on the 3rd floor, saying they like to put Platinum members on higher floors. They asked me to verify my room type as king + sofa, so I suspect the upgrade happened long before check-in, and it may not have been obvious to the check-in person that I had already been upgraded.

Having seen it, though, the king + sofa is a bit weird IMHO. I'm used to that configuration at other hotels meaning a sofa along the long wall, roughly facing the TV (much as the bed faces the TV). But in this room, the sofa was along the short wall, under the window. It felt as if they had just "snuck" a sofa into a non-sofa room without actually making the room any bigger! .

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 13, 2018 at 2:54 pm
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Meanwhile, I asked them about points not posting automatically, and they said they're aware of it, and claimed it's because they're new to the Marriott program.
Well, I had another stay at this hotel in mid-December (a full half year after I wrote the above), and once again the stay didn't post automatically.

Just how long does it take for a hotel that joins the Marriott program to get its stays to post automatically???
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The Sheraton (100 feet south) is also a great property.
Either something changed in the past few years, or we have very different views of "great". That property was a pit when we stayed there in 2013 - on par with the Four Points SFO.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs down stays STILL not posting at this hotel

In May, which was more than a full year after this hotel became a Delta and thus joined the Marriott program, I had two more stays, and once again, nothing posted automatically.

(Then I canceled a third stay and rebooked for the Marriott Suites next door, and that posted like clockwork like it always does.)

They used to blame this on them being a "new" property within the Marriott program. But the longer it goes on, the less valid any excuse sounds.

Just how many years will it take for this hotel to start posting stays reliably to Marriott???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.