Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by newshound
Thanks, so am I best off to get in touch with the hotel or call Marriott directly?
Well, I always hold hotels responsible for the correct posting of points. Given that there is a clear problem with this hotel's posting of points it would be better for us all if you report it to the hotel so they can try to work out what keeps going on. I used FB Messenger to reach them because the Front Office Manager was not answering his emails. I know their FB account is monitored and they eventually reported it and it was fixed.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:13 am

I think Marriott Bonvoy Lurkers should post the results here about the follow up by their Loyalty Performance team. There have been too many instances of non-compliance by the hotel. This is definitely a conscious effort by the hotel to deny Elite members the entitled benefits.
Nazdoom likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:31 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
So… I have 9 nights booked here next week. Will I be regretting this decision?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
So… I have 9 nights booked here next week. Will I be regretting this decision?
I don't think so. It's a nice property. Just manage your expectations. I assume you've booked it because the price was better than other full-service Marriott-family hotels and if this is the case then enjoy it.

(1) Expect to get a Club room and if you get a suite then you'll be delighted.

(2) Expect the lounge to be packed with mainland families with young children visiting the waterpark next door and if it's not then you'll be delighted.

(3) Ensure you get and keep your printed receipt when you check out and the email address of the lounge staff so if the stay posts incorrectly you can follow up directly with them.

I've had two stays there and would do again as long as it's cheaper than the Courtyard HK which I think is its nearest competitor for the price and if it is then it offers better value.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ftrichard
(2) Expect the lounge to be packed with mainland families with young children visiting the waterpark next door
That would be a deal killer for me right there.
allset2travel and ftrichard like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That would be a deal killer for me right there.
To be fair, I think this is only a major risk on Saturday nights which is primarily when I would have a staycation in HK. Last time I was there the children and families were like locusts for the first hour but they cleared off after they'd eaten their fill and it was a lot more managable after that.

Another good thing about this hotel is its relative proximity to Stanley (a direct bus trip away) where I like to go to the Italian overlooking the bay for a boozy sparkling Sunday brunch.
helvetic and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Just checked in. Few initial thoughts:

- location is solid, super convenient to South Island Line which gets you right to admiralty
- modern, clean design throughout the hotel
- club room is small: no desk
- many f&b options it seems
- price is fair
- minibar is not stock with alcohol (ugh)
- pool seems designed for families
- so far i haven't seen too many people but it's also a wednesday
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:28 pm
soy

Programs: various
Just checked in. Few initial thoughts:

- location is solid, super convenient to South Island Line which gets you right to admiralty
- modern, clean design throughout the hotel
- club room is small: no desk
- many f&b options it seems
- price is fair
- minibar is not stock with alcohol (ugh)
- pool seems designed for families
- so far i haven't seen too many people but it's also a wednesday
how is elite treatment, some reports made it sound like they were not what they should be, but that may have been down to opening issues
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by soy
how is elite treatment, some reports made it sound like they were not what they should be, but that may have been down to opening issues
No major complaints so far. Got "upgraded" to club room but wasn't expecting more considering my stay length and hotel occupancy. I can take breakfast in the restaurant and lounge (woke up too late to try either today). Lounge HH is nice and it wasn't too busy yesterday, though with today being Thu and the holiday tomorrow, it looks like it's about to get a lot more packed. Pool is full of kids at the moment.

My biggest complaint… the water.

Last night trying to have some water before going to sleep involved 3min fiddling with it to try to get it open, then half of it ending up on the floor. Also you have to drink it from a glass and I find hotel room glasses to be kinda gross and usually avoid using them.

Asked for bottled water and they just brought more boxes. A couple follow up later and they're telling me they have 10 bottles from before the switch and they'll bring them over. Well… lo and behold, housekeeping arrives with 10 more boxes. 🤦 I don't know if I'll ever get them… still waiting.

Always find it extremely annoying when I have to do so much work for such a basic thing as getting water bottles. Reminds me of my epic fight with the team at the GH NY that was telling me to just drink tap… which eventually led to an apology form the GM and 15 bottles in the room on a 2 night stay.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:45 am

Lounge indeed overrun with kids today. It's a bit annoying. There's a few table left when I arrived at 6:30. Staff are nice. The kids are really really annoying… I wish they'd make at least a no-kids section in the lounge. There's probably as many kids as adults in the lounge right now… like 50 of them. They're not horrible, but put 50 kids anywhere and it's going to get rowdy.

The lounge offerings are solid. Baked salmon is actually really good. Some meh penne pasta. Extremely dry pork short ribs and some equally nasty beef. Decent cold cut and cheese, and tasty deserts.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:32 pm

I checked in yesterday as well. This is my 4th time at this property.

Last night Happy Hour at the lounge was the busiest I have seen. Even though it was busy, the staff were efficient and professional. There was a queue for a table, but one was quickly offered after a 5 mins wait.

What surprised me was this morning, they now have an egg station and noodle station. From what I was told, it started last week.

I've read that people have been complaining about elite treatment, and I couldn't disagree more with them. I have been treated rather well. Today is a Public Holiday and the start of a long weekend, all rooms were sold out days before. I have requested Your24 (7PM Check In / Out) with my ambassador but she was not able to confirm it. Upon check in, they were able to extend my late check out to 7PM, which was awesome.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by mattcng
I checked in yesterday as well. This is my 4th time at this property.

Last night Happy Hour at the lounge was the busiest I have seen. Even though it was busy, the staff were efficient and professional. There was a queue for a table, but one was quickly offered after a 5 mins wait.

What surprised me was this morning, they now have an egg station and noodle station. From what I was told, it started last week.

I've read that people have been complaining about elite treatment, and I couldn't disagree more with them. I have been treated rather well. Today is a Public Holiday and the start of a long weekend, all rooms were sold out days before. I have requested Your24 (7PM Check In / Out) with my ambassador but she was not able to confirm it. Upon check in, they were able to extend my late check out to 7PM, which was awesome.
Agree, I have no complaints about the staff quality. I had a plumbing issue in my room and they immediately offered to move me, carried my luggage etc. to the new room. There are sometimes some language barriers but can't fault the staff for that — I'm the one in a foreign country and I should be grateful this little piece of the Queen's empire speaks English pretty well.

I checked out the lounge briefly this morning, but since they are letting me take breakfast in the restaurant I'm making full use of that. It's busy and expensive (350HKD or so said the receipt), but it has a lot more options than the lounge.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:20 pm

I checked out the lounge briefly this morning, but since they are letting me take breakfast in the restaurant I'm making full use of that. It's busy and expensive (350HKD or so said the receipt), but it has a lot more options than the lounge.
How? I was never offered breakfast at the restaurant.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:30 pm

Not sure why, but I asked and they said I could choose either restaurant or lounge. Maybe it's because of Ambassador status?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:59 pm

Thanks @helvetic.

I actually also asked them about it. It seems like it is just a temporary thing because of the influx of guests during the public holiday / long weekend. They mentioned, only Platinum and above can take advantage of it.

Hopefully I can make good use of the breakfast buffet next time I visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.