Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Renaissance Harbor View [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DaveMidknight
Concierge Email: [email protected]

Hotel Email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Hong Kong Renaissance Harbor View [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by brian22
Legacy gold (now platinum) yes. Current gold, no.
Just to confirm, is this based on recent experience at the hotel? I appreciate lounge access is not a benefit for current Gold but just wondering if this hotel offered/gave more than required by Marriott.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Originally Posted by ftrichard
As you're there using the lounge can you tell us what the lounge hours are. Elsewhere in HK some hotels keep serving book until 9.30pm - a policy I approve of. So what's the hours of the lounge service? TIA.
From my 4 day stay just before Christmas..
pnoeric and ftrichard like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA PPro, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Just to confirm, is this based on recent experience at the hotel? I appreciate lounge access is not a benefit for current Gold but just wondering if this hotel offered/gave more than required by Marriott.
I was there in November and they were super by the book on everything, so I wouldn't expect any special treatment.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Any recent visitors have comments/tips about this hotel? I'm tempted to book my next stay in HKG here over the W despite it being more that one metro stop away from my office as the W is located.

There's just something about staying in HKG in Central well beyond the operational hours of Metro. But I alway hate waiting until it opens in the AM for that one stop to Kowloon and have always dreaded the difficulties with hailing a cab too!!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Any recent visitors have comments/tips about this hotel? I'm tempted to book my next stay in HKG here over the W despite it being more that one metro stop away from my office as the W is located.
The location and the views are terrific and it would be a nice change of perspective for you. Being in Wan Chai is super convenient, except, I guess, if your office is in Kowloon! But for evenings out, or a little shopping, I'd say the Renaissance it a great base of operations.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum

There's just something about staying in HKG in Central well beyond the operational hours of Metro. But I alway hate waiting until it opens in the AM for that one stop to Kowloon and have always dreaded the difficulties with hailing a cab too!!
I have stayed here more than 25 times. But always when attending a fair at the Convention Centre. The rooms are on the small side but overall it is a very good property.

It is a 10 minute walk to the MTR.

You mention Central. This property is in Wan Chai, not in Central. Night activity is lots of bars and pickup joints. There are good restaurants in walking distance.

I stay here frequently but do not unless I need to be at the Convention Centre. If you don't, check out the JW Marriott in Pacific Place.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by daloosh
The location and the views are terrific and it would be a nice change of perspective for you. Being in Wan Chai is super convenient, except, I guess, if your office is in Kowloon! But for evenings out, or a little shopping, I'd say the Renaissance it a great base of operations.
Thanks... That's kinda what I am going for indeed. A different perspective. Mulling it over as my first week there is my "free time" and not expecting to be stuck in the office or traveling there other than via email if necessary. I'm then leaving HKG for three weeks (work) but on my way back to US, I will be returning to HKG for a week and then I'm in Kowloon at the W.

But I will say that the staff at the W have treated me very very well as I've been there every other month for over a year now. Always have been at the W with the one exception of staying at the HGI in Mongkok, which is actually within a 10 min walk to my office. Just think the office Peeps took my comments about the street food scene and the area wrong. I enjoyed it.. But now they insist I stay at the W. Sheltered away...
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by MW147
I have stayed here more than 25 times. But always when attending a fair at the Convention Centre. The rooms are on the small side but overall it is a very good property.

It is a 10 minute walk to the MTR.

You mention Central. This property is in Wan Chai, not in Central. Night activity is lots of bars and pickup joints. There are good restaurants in walking distance.

I stay here frequently but do not unless I need to be at the Convention Centre. If you don't, check out the JW Marriott in Pacific Place.
Yeah... Read about the room being small and wanted to avoid that. Seems like queen beds are the biggest beds they have available unless I go with a suite. Was hoping to use SNA too... Will see!!

And a ten minute walk from MTA with luggage.... Guessing it could be done indeed... Will check out the JW though... Thanks...
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
But I will say that the staff at the W have treated me very very well as I've been there every other month for over a year now. Always have been at the W with the one exception of staying at the HGI in Mongkok, which is actually within a 10 min walk to my office. Just think the office Peeps took my comments about the street food scene and the area wrong. I enjoyed it.. But now they insist I stay at the W. Sheltered away...
That's funny, we are having a convo about the area around the HGI in the Hilton forum. I love all the little restaurants but could do without the working girls that spring up at nite.

Since it's your free time, you aren't tied to Kowloon. Compared to the HGI, the rooms at the Renaissance are spacious! I have found the service to be great, too. The walk to the MTR is completely covered and elevated, so you don't get wet in the rain or wait for lights.

The JW is a solid choice, it's a great location and closer to the MTR, but you're more in the hills and the view is not as spectacular.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by daloosh
That's funny, we are having a convo about the area around the HGI in the Hilton forum. I love all the little restaurants but could do without the working girls that spring up at nite.

Since it's your free time, you aren't tied to Kowloon. Compared to the HGI, the rooms at the Renaissance are spacious! I have found the service to be great, too. The walk to the MTR is completely covered and elevated, so you don't get wet in the rain or wait for lights.

The JW is a solid choice, it's a great location and closer to the MTR, but you're more in the hills and the view is not as spectacular.
hahahahaha… Maybe I need to join the convo over there about the Monkok HGI. I forgot about the Working Girls too... Made the mistake of telling the colleagues about me waking up between 12-3 AM and walking around the area searching for food. Sure they found it "odd" that I didn't mentioned anything about them... LOL

And thanks for the info about the JW too... Good to know to be on the lookout for the elevated walkway if I go that route. But with that being said, it's more of the nightlife in Central that I like to wander around and people watch. Often I go there and hate having to dash back to MTR for the last ride back to Kowloon Station. It's a mix feeling when I get back. Sometimes I'm happy and go to sleep. Then there are times I wish I had stayed and either taken a cab back or stay out all night until MTR opens.. Done the latter that twice!! ugh!!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

hahahahaha… Maybe I need to join the convo over there about the Monkok HGI. I forgot about the Working Girls too... Made the mistake of telling the colleagues about me waking up between 12-3 AM and walking around the area searching for food. Sure they found it "odd" that I didn't mentioned anything about them... LOL

And thanks for the info about the JW too... Good to know to be on the lookout for the elevated walkway if I go that route. But with that being said, it's more of the nightlife in Central that I like to wander around and people watch. Often I go there and hate having to dash back to MTR for the last ride back to Kowloon Station. It's a mix feeling when I get back. Sometimes I'm happy and go to sleep. Then there are times I wish I had stayed and either taken a cab back or stay out all night until MTR opens.. Done the latter that twice!! ugh!!
Please refrain from making general HK comments in hotel specific threads.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Please refrain from making general HK comments in hotel specific threads.
G!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Some
Maybe I was expecting too much, but in contrast to some of the above posts I stayed here just before the New Year for the first time and wasn't totally impressed.

Rooms are compact but are fairly well thought out so had no issues with the overall room size (also bearing in mind this is Hong Kong, I'd say the rooms are no worse than average size). I'm clearly very spoiled but this is the first hotel I've stayed in for probably three years that gave me a single queen bed in the room, as noted above you need a suite to get a king bed. I found the wooden floorboards creaked *a lot* during the stay, to the point I could hear whenever the person in the room above me was walking around. Bedding is high quality but didn't find the bed the most comfortable. Quality of furnishing is mostly good but rooms have a bit of an IKEA design feel in part and I think are too sparsely furnished. The cupboard door around the minibar also partially fell off when I tried to open it which didn't give a great impression on build quality. No bathtub, only a decent sized but not huge shower. Main issue was the construction work which is audible even in a high floor room facing the harbour from quite early in the morning and spoiled my plan to stay in bed to get over jet-lag.

The lounge has nice views and I really like the multi-level design, but it was absolutely packed when I was there to the point it involved quite a bit of walking around to find a seat in the evening (possibly due to NY). Food both in the evening and at breakfast in the lounge was nothing special, OK but well below what I'd call a 'good' spread for a lounge in Asia. Service was also good but nothing exceptional. Location feels a bit isolated currently with all the construction work going on. Was fairly glad to be back at the W later in the week.

Overall I'd say in the segment of the market this hotel competes in, the Crowne Plaza Causeway Bay walks all over it.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Location feels a bit isolated currently with all the construction work going on.
IMO the location is not good unless you need to be at the convention center. Construction definitely exacerbates the issue. Of course the W location is rather out of the way, too.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
IMO the location is not good unless you need to be at the convention center. Construction definitely exacerbates the issue. Of course the W location is rather out of the way, too.
I like the location quite a bit because there are tons of good and reasonably priced restaurants in Wanchai. It's also possible to walk to Lockhart or the MTR without going up or down stairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.