Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dove Mountain vs Laguna Nigel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Dove Mountain vs Laguna Nigel

Looking to book a 5-6 night stay for a special occasion. Looking for something relaxing, with good food and a peaceful ambiance.

Having never been to either property, was wondering if anyone could compare and contrast.

Will be going in late May/early June and am a Platinum Rewards member (for what it's worth) - the plan is to book with points.

Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by senzer
Looking to book a 5-6 night stay for a special occasion. Looking for something relaxing, with good food and a peaceful ambiance.

Having never been to either property, was wondering if anyone could compare and contrast.

Will be going in late May/early June and am a Platinum Rewards member (for what it's worth) - the plan is to book with points.

Thanks!
This is probably a little too late, but I've stayed at both and I'd reccomend Dove Mountain hands down. However, it depends what you want to do while you stay there. The Dove Mountain resort is far outside of town and there's not much around. They have good hiking on property as well as a great pool area. There weren't many restuarants close by, but the hotel options were decent. I would say the service was within one of the top 2 or 3 Ritz's I've stayed. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. The valet actually damaged my rental car and the whole staff went out of the way to make it right and then some. I was able to get points promotion for 4 nights for only 90,000 points instead of 120,000, so it was a great value too. There is no club lounge, so if that's a factor for you it may be a disapointment. The rooms were more rustic than typical Ritz rooms, but that's not a bad thing.

The Laguna Nigel property is more 'typical Ritz' if that makes sense. It's also a very busy hotel with conferences, weddings, etc. I was upgraded to the Club floor on points as MR Platinum, which was nice. However, I think it was just because of an oversold situation. The service was also impersonal and nothing noteworthy. It's a very nice property physically, but everything service related was cold. It's close to the beach, you can walk down or take a golf card down the bluff, the beach is great. Also the gym over looks the ocean, so that's kind of cool too. The other big benefit is all of the restaurants in the OC in a much closer proximity.

Bottom line it depends what you are looking to do on your trip. Both are good hotels, but if I were just going to go relax and get away for a few days I would go back to Dove Mountain hands down.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply - actually heading to Dove Mountain on Wednesday for a stay. Look forward to it and hopefully my platinum status gets me a little something special!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Just an FYI - The Ritz Carlton Dove Mountain will be completely closed from June 25th - September 3rd for extensive renovations.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
laguna niguel hands down. Dove mountain will be very hot and the club lounge at RCLN is fantastic! Ladies there provide awesome service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.