Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Minneapolis Bloomington Hotel, Minnesota [Master Thread]

Renaissance Minneapolis Bloomington Hotel, Minnesota [Master Thread]

Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Airline Nobody
Spent one night here this last week.

Property/Room:
  • The lobby is gorgeous and modern - this feels like a seriously high end boutique hotel but it is in an otherwise cookie-cutter suburban environment. They've got an indoor fire pit and tons of couches/seating
  • Beds were brand new so more than satisfactory
  • The hallways outside the room feel a little incomplete; the ice machine is just sitting at the end of the hallway rather than being tucked out of the way. Also there was like techno music coming from the machine itself so that was weird
  • I'm hoping they put up a permanent sign because the vinyl tarp as a sign isn't quite cutting it!
  • Staff was lovely in a typical Minnesotan way
Dining:
  • Breakfast was included in my room rate and it was more than adequate. Open seating in the lobby restaurant included decent potatoes, bacon, sausage, eggs, and a spread of pastries
  • Lounge is not yet open and I was offered 750 points as compensation. If breakfast wasn't included in the rate I believe that it is offered to plat and higher at least until the lounge is opened
  • Bar was nice with local drafts - farm girl saison was quite delicious
  • We asked about food nearby and got plenty of recommendations - Red Cow was close and quite nice if you want a burger
Elite recognition:
  • At check in, I was thanked for being a platinum member and given the typical 1000 point/$10 F&B credit choice
  • No upgrade was offered even though they had junior suites available online; I didn't ask because I didn't care and I wasn't about to try and play the status card in front of my boss
Honestly this was probably one of the nicest mid-range hotel I've ever visited.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
In midst of 3-night stay with family over holiday/"spring break" weekend (have completed 2 nights). Booked standard 2Q room at (shockingly) low Bonvoy Escapes weekend rate.
Used OLCI on day of arrival - cleared around noon and informed of upgrade via app. Presumptively, upgrade was placement on high (6th) floor. Previous review of room inventory suggests that likely other upgrade option for 2Q would have been (indoor) poolside view/direct entry which I did not want anyway. That said, view is out onto roof of pool area and (beyond) the 494. Not glamorous, but we didn't come here for views.
Blueprint of hotel is a lopsided "T" - two wings/buildings that are functionally separate, with inter-connection and access only through first floor lobby or lower level pool/fitness area.
This is my first stay at a Renaissance. Agree with mag_nate's 2019 post: lobby decor was a modern take on the Northwoods lodge theme. Lots of functional meeting and gather spaces throughout (which obviously were not encouraged to be used by staff currently), including three individual reading nooks in library area, hang-out space with communal table and swing chair, and "campfire" by check-in (though who would hang out there? - felt in flow of traffic and very exposed).
Northwoods themes continue throughout hotel, into art opposite elevator banks on each floor and in rooms. Photos on Marriott website are accurate to what they look like. Not a ton of space, and chair in corner feels a bit cramped (though is admittedly very comfortable as I sit here typing this). Beds not grand, but comfortable. Bathrooms with sliding barn door and no lock. Mini-fridge and safe in room. I specifically requested coffeemaker ahead of stay by app (here), so not clear if this remains standard in each room or only avail by request.
Thus far, 2 for 4 with success using digital key (not surprising). Staff have been quickly responsive and gracious to requests placed via app chat (for additional towels and additional coffee packs). No housekeeping planned during 3-night stay, but can request. No community garbage receptacles seen on floor, so carrying bag of day's garbage (since eating some meals in room) down to 1st floor area, where larger trash and recycling receptacles are easily accessed.
Club lounge is on first floor, off of lobby/gathering area. Closed currently. From what I could see through the door, not a tremendous amount of space, and view is into the lower level pool "dome" area. Pool area is surprisingly large - sign for (pre-COVID) capacity listed as 60. Reminiscent of Holidome given size and rooms opening onto it on one side (and I suppose possible given its lineage as previous HI). Pool itself is sizeable - depth to 8.5 feet. Initially saw it set up with ropes for swimming laps, though this was removed with I went with sons later in morning. Pool was well-maintained. However, many areas of standing water throughout area - some of which looked rather stagnant, suggestive of drainage challanges. Similarly, only 5 clean towels available, and return bins half full of used towels - from previous day(s?). Given we were there at 8:45 am (and pool opened at 8a), I can't chalk that up to earlier users that day, so suspect that area wasn't thoroughly serviced or cleaned overnight by any staff. Noticed also that 5-6 rooms on 1st and 2nd floor each look out onto pool and have small "patio" areas between room/door and recreational area. Only about half of these were equipped with tables and chairs - remainder just empty space. I can't imagine how useable these would be for a family without furniture; strange.
LARS, on-site restaurant, functioning at reduced hours. Currently open for breakfast take-away or dine-in weekday mornings only from ~6-8 am (can pick up takeout starting at 5:30) - I think this is slightly different than what is posted on the hotel website (which eludes to being open weekend mornings also). Curiously, they had slightly different hours written in chalk on back side of standing placard in the restaurant entry area (just flipped around), so seems to be a very fluid situation. Did have breakfast there yesterday (Friday) morning - limited menu, food was fine to serviceable (bkfst potatoes served with entrees were highly flavored of garlic to point of overpowering other items on palate), server Valerie D was attentive and hospitable - clearly happy to see some business! Gathering that elites with bkfst benefit would be applied here (as Gold, was not eligible though Valerie did ask if we had credit to use...). Dinner also available but with similarly limited hours - have not utilized given that multiple other restaurants in Bloomington/Edina area are within easy drive and/or serviced by delivery. That said, no particularly walkable options for food from hotel.
Location of hotel itself is in business-predominant zone. Adjacent to new-ish looking Hampton Inn, but otherwise surrounded by corporate buildings (including Dairy Queen HQ). Fine for me since I wanted location a bit more removed from weekend action, but may not be what everyone is looking for depending on nature of your stay.
Globally, very pleased so far. While not "high end", this is certainly a cut above a more straight-forward, bare-bones property (Courtyard/HGI) in terms of character, if not necessarily amenities. It does feel a bit schizophrenic in terms of tone - unclear if primary audience is business travel or family/leisure - but that actually adds to some of the charm, in my book.
Pocatello likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.