Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Minneapolis Bloomington Hotel, Minnesota [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:30 am
Original Poster

There's a hotel in Bloomington, MN, currently a Crowne Plaza (before that a Holiday Inn), that put up intriguing banners saying things like, "We're undergoing a Renaissance" and "A Renaissance is coming" so I wondered if the hotel was rebranding as a Renaissance. Called them and they said, yes, rebranding to Marriott Renaissance in the summer.

https://www.cylex.us.com/company/ren...-26606869.html
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Glad to hear it! Marriott does have a website for the property, although it's a bit of a shell right now: Renaissance Minneapolis Bloomington Hotel: Bloomington Distinctive Hotels

Listed as Category 5. Surprisingly it will have an airport shuttle (as of now at least), despite being a fair distance from MSP - there are closer properties that do not have a shuttle. Also interesting that they are changing their address (currently 5401 Green Valley Drive in Bloomington).
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK it's still operating as a Crowne Plaze--or at least they still light up that sign at night--yet this place will need extensive renovations, ideally starting with tearing down the current building and starting over. I don't see haw they can realistically be a Renaissance by June 2018 as the website claims.
canolakid likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster

currently 5401 Green Valley Drive in Bloomington
The only access to this hotel is from American Blvd, the Green Valley entrance was closed off a couple years ago. This hotel has been replacing everything, new bath fixtures, mattresses, and furniture. Extensive repaving and landscaping added a couple years ago. I though it was all for the Super bowl.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Cat 5. Opening Oct '18. Looks like it has a M Lounge; says open daily, but don't know if that means for evening apps on Fri-Sat nights. Some M Lounges are fully open/others are open for brekkie only on the weekends.

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If this is the Crowne Plaza place, I don't see any signs of construction work and it appears (when I drive past) to be operating as a Crowne Plaza with no change in the signage, construction/remodeling equipment, or blocked off areas of the parking lot. The number of cars parked there seems to also reflect business as usual at the property.

I would also add that I don't consider the building to be at all indicative of a Renaissance. The place looks cheap and is showing its age. There's nothing classy or historical in sight and its not a good location except for proximity to the interstate; no nonhotel restaurants within walking distance, for instance.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:04 pm

If you call the phone # for the Ren, the voice mail says Ren & not Crowne Plaza. Regardless, if it opens in Oct as website says, will look forward to first trip report.

Cheers.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Construction staging is at the rear and continuous for 2 years now. Bricks have been repainted and new AC grills installed, as well as new AC units. The sidewalks have been repainted (hint: NEVER paint ground concrete surfaces in a cold climate, they ice up terribly, concrete is slightly porous unless painted), there are 2 fancy restaurants within walking distance: Kinkaid's and whatever took the place of Parma. As far as location, I think 100 & 494 is the third largest concentration of jobs in the state? Also there is no longer access to the frontage road, it's blocked off. This website calls the area Normandale Lake Office Park "truly stunning" and "pristine" although historic it's not. The hotel is the black squares on white cube center-right.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:52 pm

Cat 4. Now opening Jan '19.

Cheers.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by tom_MN
Construction staging is at the rear and continuous for 2 years now. Bricks have been repainted and new AC grills installed, as well as new AC units. The sidewalks have been repainted (hint: NEVER paint ground concrete surfaces in a cold climate, they ice up terribly, concrete is slightly porous unless painted), there are 2 fancy restaurants within walking distance: Kinkaid's and whatever took the place of Parma. As far as location, I think 100 & 494 is the third largest concentration of jobs in the state? Also there is no longer access to the frontage road, it's blocked off. This website calls the area Normandale Lake Office Park "truly stunning" and "pristine" although historic it's not. The hotel is the black squares on white cube center-right.
IIRC Kincaid's is located in a modern office building overlooking one of the small (manmade, I would assume) lakes in the area, but I wouldn't want to walk there for dinner from the Crowne Plaza. OTOH, they had good happy hour food offers in their bar which I think also applies to a patio in hot weather. I went there for dinner at a Sunday night happy hour on the instigation of a FT guy and was very happy about the choice. It's probably about eight miles from MSP airport, although some of the secondary roads you can take are rather pretty.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:27 am
Original Poster

one of the small (manmade, I would assume) lakes in the area
The lake is a natural marsh raised to several feet of standing water with a dam. It's really just 2 blocks, 0.4 miles, to Kinkaid's, all sidewalk. The restaurant that replaced Parma is Poseidon, a sushi place, closer.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

The Crowne Plaza signage is down and the Marriott website is taking reservations for this hotel starting February 5.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by tom_MN
The Crowne Plaza signage is down and the Marriott website is taking reservations for this hotel starting February 5.
Not totally, as of today. It still says Crowne Plaza on the side of the building you see as you drive into the property, although there's now some stone thing (which I believe is totally new) with a Renaissance sign. It's not clear whether the sign on the stone thing will light up at night, will have spotlights/floodlights, or will be hard to read after dark.

I also saw a small passenger van in the wild today that had a temporary looking sign that says Renaissance Bloomington.

BTW, I'm seeing some very cheap rates. They're also selling club level rooms on weekend nights, so that might mean that the lounge will be open and doing food seven days per week.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:17 pm

Look forward to the first trip report after someone has stayed there. Please do an update on the lounge/brekkie situation. Thx.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

I’ve been watching the makeover happen over 2-3 years. It was a thorough job including not just new furnishings but new sheetrock. They must have spent $200,000 just on landscaping. They even power washed the curb and gutter. I hope the investment pays off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.