Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood hotels switching from Coke to Pepsi products as a result of Marriott merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood hotels switching from Coke to Pepsi products as a result of Marriott merger

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I'll have a Jack and Pepsi . . . said no one!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
First they came for the coke, and I did not speak out - because I prefer pepsi.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
More Marriottification. <sign>
lilpisher likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
I immediately discount any brand that associates itself with Pepsi products versus Coke. Big downgrade here for sure. Room service may as well be replaced by Taco Bell and KFC.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by azeckel
Room service may as well be replaced by Taco Bell and KFC.
I'd never expect such a huge improvement. I'll take a $1 taco over an $18 taco any time.
Jebby_ca likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'd never expect such a huge improvement. I'll take a $1 taco over an $18 taco any time.
I guess we have different definitions of "taco" ... p.s. nacho fries are not good.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Ugh...not a fan of this decision. Well, I guess I'll be opting for hot tea instead of a soft drink...
If true, the switch will be to your bodies benefit since Coke & Pepsi are basically poison to your body with no nutritional value whatsoever.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Westin Singapore had already switched over as of 2 weeks ago
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
If true, the switch will be to your bodies benefit since Coke & Pepsi are basically poison to your body with no nutritional value whatsoever.
And if I wanted them looking out for me, I'd probably also have moved to NYC a long time ago;-)

All snark aside, there are times I just want a Coke and Pepsi is, at best, an imperfect replacement (it actually ranks below RC for me). It's down to mood, etc., but sometimes I'd prefer a good cup of tea and sometimes I want a Coke.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
What a shame.

We *much* prefer Diet Coke to Diet Pepsi, to the extent of being unable to drink Pepsi.
(From old college years, people kept trying to secretly switch, and no one ever expected me to "notice". There must be something genetic with the taste buds, like that high school "can you taste the bitterness" biology experiment... I just can't stand the Pepsi "stuff".)

So... at least we are now warned.
We'll have another destination where we arrive with a sack full of Diet Cokes that the bell staff can help carry to our rooms. In these cases, we usually just load up a bit at airport gift shops as we exit.
That tends to be less expensive than requesting that the Concierge staff arrange for someone to "get some DIet Coke" to have waiting in our rooms.
Sometimes, on Club/Concierge floors, they are happy to help, or they already have a stash for such requests

I wonder how this whole nonsense started, where the beverage companies had enough leverage to enforce the "ours or theirs, but not both" rule...

GC
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
As i said before, Marriott will try their best to drag SPG down to 'their level'.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:52 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
This sucks
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
It's okay. I usually buy a case of Dasani for $5 before I arrive at the hotel anyways.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
I wonder how this whole nonsense started, where the beverage companies had enough leverage to enforce the "ours or theirs, but not both" rule...
GC
Marriott has always seemed to be the really focused on standardization and they were probably able to negotiate better terms bringing all the Starwood properties on board. I started doing some digging last week when I randomly had a bottle of Aquafina in my room amongst the Dasani and found a report that Marriott moved to Pepsi in the early 90s when Coke refused to give the (then) struggling company a $100 million loan.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by lilpisher

Marriott has always seemed to be the really focused on standardization and they were probably able to negotiate better terms bringing all the Starwood properties on board. I started doing some digging last week when I randomly had a bottle of Aquafina in my room amongst the Dasani and found a report that Marriott moved to Pepsi in the early 90s when Coke refused to give the (then) struggling company a $100 million loan.
Couldn't they get a loan from the Church of LDS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.