Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott mandating toiletry dispensers in some hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott mandating toiletry dispensers in some hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well, if there was ever a reason to switch to a different chain, the bulk dispensers is it .

Cheers.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
In my opinion, the communal soap dispensers in the shower bring Marriott closer to a dorm room rather than setting it apart for the right reasons.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well, if there was ever a reason to switch to a different chain, the bulk dispensers is it .

Cheers.
Depending on the changes coming, there might be many reasons to switch to Hyatt or Hilton.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Depending on the changes coming, there might be many reasons to switch to Hyatt or Hilton.
And those could be valid ones. Individual vs. wall dispensers doesn't rase to the level of jumping ship, but that's just me

Cheers.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... and once again, the things FT can come up with to complain about mystifies (and astonishes) me
You tell me about your feelings on this issue when you've hit the snooze button a few too times and have to do a mad dash to get ready....only to find that once you're in the shower, these crappy dispensers are inoperative.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Is this one of those late 70s early 80s production where the acid is LSD and the victim decides they're superman?
No, it was something nasty like sulfuric acid, causing pain and blindness, not hallucinations.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Must avoid those brands that use dispensers!

As those refillable bottle most likely exceed the allowed liquid container size that can be carried in cabin luggage !
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't mind the dispensers in a locker room. I suppose I could see them at a hostel.

At any type of decent hotel, it's just a huge turnoff. I know Aloft has always had them...part of their appeal to hipsters I guess. But I hope these don't spread to serious hotels that adults use.
YOWCDNFF and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
But I hope these don't spread to serious hotels that adults use.
Folks need to complain, seeing as Marriott International has mandated it on all hotels, across all of its brands, that it manages.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:52 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Saying that they have "mandated" this seems heavy-handed. It's only on the hotels that they directly manage. It's like saying if the CEO of starbucks decides to get a small coffee instead of a large that he's MANDATED no more large coffees. The "mandate" doesn't affect anyone but him.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:14 pm

Currently sitting at the Fairfield Marriott Village (Orlando, FL) and they've got the opposite -- 1.5oz bottles instead of the standard 0.7oz size I see everywhere else. I've never come across the larger bottles before but appreciate it -- one bottle will last us the entire trip instead of 1 bottle every 2-3 days. It's not going to go to waste -- I'm taking what's left home & will refill the bottle myself and use it for future trips since it clearly says "1.5 OZ" on it which will make the TSA happy.

I do worry about the dispensers from a different perspective -- tea tree oil. Peppermint & tea tree oil can feel just like capsaicin to some people, particularly with regard to the furry and/or dangling bits. I am one of these people. I love the smell of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap, BUT I won't forget the fateful day I tried showering with it. You might as well have taken gasoline and a match to my bits as that's what it felt like. UNLIKE the gasoline+match, water did nothing to stop the burning. Fortunately my fiancé had non-peppermint, non-tea tree shampoo in the shower which DID neutralize the burning.

For those curious, here's the literature on the new dispensers:
https://www.mariettahospitality.com/...A+Tea+Tree.php

A few things to note:
1) Product is Paul Mitchell's Tea-Tree brand
2) Dispenser is a Readycare EcoEclipse: https://www.readycare.com/brands/ecoeclipse-dispensers (with vids on how to take it apart at the bottom of the page)
2) Bottles are NON-refillable
3) Dispenser is tamper-resistant
4) Bottles are only ~8-8.5oz.
5) Pump is integrated into the bottle
6) Shampoo/Conditioner/Bodywash *ARE NOT* color coded or large-print labelled for those of us with poor eyesight.
7) Bottle position appears to be interchangeable, so you can't rely upon the shampoo & conditioner being in specific positions, again a major problem for those of us with poor eyesight.
8) Shampoo & Conditioner appear to be Tea Tree. Bodywash appears to be lemon.

With these bottles only being around 8oz AND the pump appearing to be an integrated unit, I don't see huge cost saving here. I'm sure there's some, but not as large as we were thinking. It's only replacing 5 of the 1.5 oz bottles or 11 of the standard bottles. Factoring in the plastic and metal spring used for the pump, I'm going to say it's barely an environmental gain.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:19 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by KRSW
I do worry about the dispensers from a different perspective -- tea tree oil.
How are dispensers any different from single-use bottles in this regard?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
I don't take issue with the use of dispeners. I take issue with the dispensers shown here:

They're ugly plastic, the bottles are ugly, THAT looks cheap.

Compare that to an Autograph Collection hotel I stayed at for almost a year straight (Hotel ICON Houston) where the property had a nice metal rack holder for Gilchrist & Soames shampoo/conditioner/body wash and it looks a lot nicer.

I don't have an objection to bulk refills, but that plastic rack just looks chintzy.

Although the discussion of professional bacterial contaimination in bulk dispensers is interesting... perhaps a metal rack to dispense from single use containers? That would have to hide the bags to look attractive though, which would evoke memories of bathroom hand soap dispensers to hide the bags (not pleasant...)
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:16 pm
pvn
Suspended

"the thing that holds the soap bottle isn't expensive enough to be worthy of my gaze"
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler
I don't take issue with the use of dispeners. I take issue with the dispensers shown here:

They're ugly plastic, the bottles are ugly, THAT looks cheap.
Read / study books more often. You can then join the world of myopia and won't have to worry about such things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.