Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott mandating toiletry dispensers in some hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott mandating toiletry dispensers in some hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I like this.

I'm not a rabid enviro but hate all the plastic out there. I'm fine if this is one of the requests on the apps but happy to see the bottles go.
Agree. The wastefulness of the small bottles bothers me. I suspect this change really was driven by environmental concerns, as the monetary savings are relatively small.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
... and once again, the things FT can come up with to complain about mystifies (and astonishes) me
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This thread is reminding me of a bad movie (made for TV) in which a young woman (psycho or in a rivalry for some man or both) puts acid into a bottle of contact lens solution.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This thread is reminding me of a bad movie (made for TV) in which a young woman (psycho or in a rivalry for some man or both) puts acid into a bottle of contact lens solution.
Or a young punk (or old deviant) putting ejaculate in the shampoo.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good move by Marriott! The little bottles always bothered me, wasteful.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
How? They can be recycled.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
The Paul Mitchell Tea Tree line is a good product and doesn't sell for cheap where it is allowed to be legally sold (Ulta, etc.). It appears the complaint is centered around the communal dispensers. I actually think Starwood with bulk Bliss (aloft) was a good choice as well. I know W does the Bliss in smaller bottles. Another premium brand that is not inexpensive at retail. Am I willing to accept the trade-off of communal dispensers for a better cleansing experience? Yes.

I am also glad to see a liquid soap option even in limited service properties, and I find this particular product line better than the traditional Paul Mitchell white label formulas.

The full-service Marriott lines were doing well with Thann I felt too, but I could see it being a costly situation as there were many pieces (two liquid soap options). Most of the FS visits I saw recently stopped stocking the hand liquid soap piece.

Rasheed
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I had to chuckle while at Home Depot this afternoon and $1.99 cases (24 x .5L) of water were flying off multiple skids. I bought 3. These little shampoo bottles going away aren't going to fix the world's plastic "problems"...
hockeyinsider likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I wish one of the options on the Marriott page was a no-toiletries room ....

With 125-150 nights a year, I'm killing hundreds of those bottles. I usually don't use them and leave them in place but suspect they get thrown out anyway. I'm hardly a rabid enviro but that's the biggest source of useless waste in all my travels.
I'm very confident that they don't get thrown out if unopened. Housekeeping has to keep an inventory of those things. Also, I've had half bottles of lotion left in my room on numerous occasions.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this one of those late 70s early 80s production where the acid is LSD and the victim decides they're superman?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I have often had little bottles that I felt I was not the first guest to use. They didn't seem full when opened and I got a little skeezed out by it.

I find that so many hotel showers don't have a little shelf to put the little bottles and bar soap and that they are always falling to the shower floor.

I enjoy the dispensers at Hamptons in Europe. Its just so much easier. I always feel like I am fumbling around with the little bottles and the bar soap.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I have often had little bottles that I felt I was not the first guest to use. They didn't seem full when opened and I got a little skeezed out by it.

I find that so many hotel showers don't have a little shelf to put the little bottles and bar soap and that they are always falling to the shower floor.

I enjoy the dispensers at Hamptons in Europe. Its just so much easier. I always feel like I am fumbling around with the little bottles and the bar soap.
So how are you not "skeezed out" by dispensers?

Be careful what you wish for. The shampoo might contain Spunk lube (
Amazon Amazon
).
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I am not skeezed out at all by dispensers. I might get a shiver out of the visceral thrill of the efficiency and spartanism of the concept though. I have a large single hand pump of body wash at home. When I threw out the bar soap, the little soap dishes, the shampoo bottles and replaced them all with all with a large container of body wash, I admit I got shivers from the visuals of a clutter free shower.

I am not sure I want to know what Spunk Lube is, but since the little bottles aren't tamper evident, how is that any different?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bitterproffit

I am not sure I want to know what Spunk Lube is, but since the little bottles aren't tamper evident, how is that any different?
Because they're generally replaced for each guest if used (or at least should be). Whereas the large dispenser is refilled/replaced as needed. And who knows if it's ever cleaned.

I'm not sure why people see the bottles as wasteful. I assume they're recycled. I'm 100% certain Marriott wouldn't make changes for "green" reasons. I've rarely seen a corporation make "green" changes for the sake of environmentalism. It's typically only for cost savings.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
Because they're generally replaced for each guest if used (or at least should be). Whereas the large dispenser is refilled/replaced as needed. And who knows if it's ever cleaned..
Then there's the National Institutes of Health study that found:

Bulk-soap-refillable dispensers are prone to extrinsic bacterial contamination, and recent studies demonstrated that approximately one in four dispensers in public restrooms are contaminated.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3126420/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.