Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott mandating toiletry dispensers in some hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott mandating toiletry dispensers in some hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Ugh:

Today at the Managed by Marriott (MxM) GM’s conference, Marriott International unveiled that it will be replacing small plastic soap, shampoo, and conditioner bottles with in-shower dispensers. The dispensers will be required at all MxM hotels, but will be optional for franchisees.

Replacing small plastic bottles with the dispenser also positively impacts owners’ bottom lines, saving between $1,000 to $2,000 per year.
Marriott?s Win-Win Plastic Sustainability Initiative ? LODGING
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Marriott mandates dispensers

Talk about tacky.

Apparently, the contract with Thann must be expired or not being renewed, as Paul Mitchell is the new supplier.

Today at the Managed by Marriott (MxM) GM’s conference, Marriott International unveiled that it will be replacing small plastic soap, shampoo, and conditioner bottles with in-shower dispensers. The dispensers will be required at all MxM hotels, but will be optional for franchisees.

Replacing small plastic bottles with the dispenser also positively impacts owners’ bottom lines, saving between $1,000 to $2,000 per year.

Each of the 450 MxM branded hotels in North America are required to adopt the initiative. However, franchisees from other brands can also choose to participate, and Naguib adds, “Many of our franchisees share our values and are just as passionate as we are about subjects like this. It’s part of our DNA, and we’re always looking towards opportunities that make a difference. This is one.”
Marriott?s Win-Win Plastic Sustainability Initiative ? LODGING

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Apr 10, 2018 at 10:22 am
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Crap...now how am I supposed to steal shampoos, conditioners and soaps. Those wall-mount dispensers take up a lot of space in my carry-on!
htb, ryw, OTD and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:28 am

and what about soap bars for the bath tubs (that are slowly disappearing)?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sweetsue
and what about soap bars for the bath tubs (that are slowly disappearing)?
It sounds like it.

Hopefully, if you request extra toiletries through the mobile application there will still be individual bottles. This is just stupid.

I could tolerate it for limited-service properties. Hopefully, the nicer properties that aren't managed by Marriott International will keep the status-quo.

What's next? Communal mouthwash dispensers for properties that still provide mouthwash?
MSPeconomist and TSparky like this.

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
This is fine with me - seems like I'm always in the shower when I realize I didn't grab the bottles off the sink. Those crappy bottles aren't classy or anything.

I do like the toiletries at the Ritz though, including the bottles.

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Crap...now how am I supposed to steal shampoos, conditioners and soaps. Those wall-mount dispensers take up a lot of space in my carry-on!
Looks like you will still be able to request individual bottles:

Guests were also enthusiastic about the program throughout Marriott’s pilot testing. “There was almost universally positive feedback from out guests. We wanted to make sure that if a guest really wanted to have their own amenity bottles they could take them, they were still available on request,” Naguib says.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:37 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Seems like a deceptive thread title considering it's not being mandated for any properties other than the ones marriott directly manages.

plus, was it really necessary to both bump your old thread AND start this one?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maracle
This is fine with me - seems like I'm always in the shower when I realize I didn't grab the bottles off the sink. Those crappy bottles aren't classy or anything.

I do like the toiletries at the Ritz though, including the bottles.
I've had Bulgari toiletries at some Ritz-Carlton or J.W. Marriott properties.

Paul Mitchell is a downgrade.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
Seems like a deceptive thread title considering it's not being mandated for any properties other than the ones marriott directly manages.
You have a point in that Marriott-managed properties in North America account for less than 10% of Marriott's hotels on the continent. Marriott has 4,839 properties in North America (see, https://hotel-development.marriott.com/).
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:41 am

Bring your own bottles and just fill them up with the dispensers. Problem solved.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:46 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The most shocking part of the article is that the estimated annual savings per property is only $1,000-$2,000! I knew the toiletries were cheap but I didn’t realize they are that cheap.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Marriott has a file on me that says:

THIS WOMAN STEALS SHAMPOOS, CONDITIONERS AND SOAPS FROM THE ROOM. DO NOT GIVE EXTRA.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

If Marriott can just mandate this and change suppliers despite agreements with Thann (Marriott in Asia and North America), Acca Kappa (Marriott in Europe and Africa), Aveda (Renaissance), Aromatherapy Associates (J.W. Marriott), and Asprey (Ritz-Carlton) then it sure indicates that Marriott can just mandate and change other aspects of brand standards, including a rewards program, at least in properties that it directly manages.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:58 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
You have a point in that Marriott-managed properties in North America account for less than 10% of Marriott's hotels on the continent. Marriott has 4,839 properties in North America (see, https://hotel-development.marriott.com/).
Since going forward the brand standard for the full service hotels will permit dispensers, I have no doubt that a lot of franchised properties will adopt them solely for the cost savings.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.