Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott mandating toiletry dispensers in some hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott mandating toiletry dispensers in some hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
I agree with rickg. Several hotels in the UK I have stayed have only one bottle of gunk, which is meant for you to use on body and hair. No conditioner either. I much prefer individual toiletries.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by twa777
It's a lot more eco-friendly that way (and I expect a lot more cost-friendly to the hotel as well).

It may take some times for Americans to get used to using a dispenser in the shower, but they're pretty common in some parts of Europe -- even in fairly high-end hotels. If it came down to it, I'd rather have a dispenser with high-quality bath products than mini bottles of something cheap.

Except what you'll end up with is low-quality bath products anyway.

No one is fooled into thinking this is for the environment. If your first priority is the environment you shouldn't be traveling in the first place.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I don't mind the dispensers. Most places I've found them they're filled with the same or higher quality product the hotel would normally have. Also they're more cost and eco-friendly when you are in a different hotel every night.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Explorer789
I agree, America always seems to be a step behind for conveniences like this.
Some of us (speaking for myself and my wife) prefer the individual bottles. I don't see it as a 'step behind' at all. Individual bottles can't be tampered with by the previous guest, or mixed up by housekeeping. And if it's a scent that irritates or is unpleasant (my wife hates mint), then the bottle stays unopened instead of permeating the air (like happened in the DL LAX SkyClub). And I personally hate shower gel and when there are pump bottles, bars of hand/bath soap are nonexistent from my limited experience.

Originally Posted by twa777
I'd rather have a dispenser with high-quality bath products than mini bottles of something cheap.
Let's be honest with ourselves, though. Marriott isn't doing it so that they can spend the same $$ on toiletries, and upgrade them. It's a cost savings measure and we can expect the same or lower quality bulk being filled into the dispensers.

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Eh, I prefer that. The Aloft does it that way, too ... ya never run out.
I've never run out in a hotel since housekeeping will typically stock new bottles, even if you have partially used ones.
joshua362 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
as long as conditioner I supplied, I dont mind. Courtyard took away the lobby coffee--now that was an issue
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Who's to say the body wash isn't the shampoo or vice versa?
Eh, I'm a guy. I've accidentally washed my body with shampoo and my hair with body wash (in fact, that's usually how I wash it). I didn't stink, that's what deodorant is for

Besides, let's be real. Spanish is printed as a 2nd language on everything nowadays, and there's enough cognates that I'd be highly surprised if that happens more than a minuscule number of times.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by wm47
... plus I'd rather have the bar of soap than that overly fragrant body wash.
I have a solution to this that's SOOOOOOOOOO obvious!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
I’ve got no problem with large bottles of shampoo and conditioner, but I’d like to have a bar over body wash every time.
closecover likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Except it takes a leap of faith to trust that the housekeeper, who may or may not speak English, properly filled each bottle labeled 100% in English. Who's to say the body wash isn't the shampoo or vice versa? Plus, you have no idea whether some deviant guest before you tampered with the bottles and defiled them.
Reality check: Dispensers have been used in Aloft hotels from Day 1, a decade ago. The property directory shows Aloft with over 100 properties, in over 25 countries. There is already significant consumer acceptance within the Aloft demographic, and the relevant price points. Marriott is smart enough to use reality-based anaylsis.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I don't mind the dispensers. Most places I've found them they're filled with the same or higher quality product the hotel would normally have. Also they're more cost and eco-friendly when you are in a different hotel every night.
I have found hotels with dispensers almost always have higher quality products since less of it is wasted or taken by customers.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I have found hotels with dispensers almost always have higher quality products since less of it is wasted or taken by customers.
Toiletries cost the hotels next to nothing. Hotels want you to take the toiletries -- it's free advertising .
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Toiletries cost the hotels next to nothing. Hotels want you to take the toiletries -- it's free advertising .
Plus its gotta be another hassle for housekeeping to unlock and top off the dispensers with 3 separate large bottles every day.

Also, FWIW, years ago I saw these at my corporate gym and thought "what a cool idea" and found some for the house. What a hassle, they leaked, fell off the wall, pain to clean, etc, and didn't last too long..
rufflesinc and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
If they use the one that they will throw away after it's finished (rather than refilling) then I'm fine, as I have been to hotels that don't clean the dispensers and I could see mold inside it and slippery around it.
closecover, KRSW and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wm47
The dispensers are pretty much what I like least about the Aloft/Element brands (which are otherwise usually a decent value for the money). In my opinion, they connote cheapness and lack of attention to individual detail -- plus I'd rather have the bar of soap than that overly fragrant body wash.
I agree on all counts. This is what gyms and other public showers provide, not nice hotels. And a bar of soap makes you feel so much cleaner than those gross shower gels. Now, I wouldn't mind shampoo being in a dispenser, just not soap.

I'm not sure this is the right read on the situation. Some may have higher quality products, some may not. There is probably some cost savings to the hotel because they can buy in bulk, huge tubs of shampoo or whatever as refills. But I don't agree that less is wasted. The one-night stays are probably a waste, but if I'm in a hotel for 3-4 days I can use the same bar of soap the whole time. I find it takes me dozens of pumps to get enough of the body wash gel gunk to make me feel as clean as a bar of soap. I've never timed it (I'm not insane!), but I suspect my shower lasts several minutes longer with the gel dispensers too, which is a waste of hot water. I assume that can add up over thousands of guests.

All that said, if a hotel uses dispensers there HAS to be a cost savings. I guarantee it's not provided as any type of upgrade or benefit to the customer. My guess it comes from buying lower cost product (even if it may be deemed higher quality in some cases). If it weren't a cost savings, you'd see every hotel, gym, etc. take them out immediately and stock cheaper bar soap.
KRSW and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
And a bar of soap makes you feel so much cleaner than those gross shower gels.
Uhhhhhhh ....?
rufflesinc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.