Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Dixon, Autograph Collection - London, England [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Dixon, Autograph Collection - London, England [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for all the updates. Much appreciated. Hey skye1, long time. Hope all is well

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:50 am

5000 night bonus

Hi there. I stayed at the Dixon Jan 21-29. I was expecting the 5k nightly bonus but I accidently selected "member rate" for all but the first night. I called the hotel and they gifted me 7k points. I am grateful but still disappointed about the the other nightly bonus points. I am Platinum. I called the platinum desk and they could not do anything more. Any ideas on what else I can do to get the other nightly 5k bonus points? I know it was my mistake but I am bummed. Do you guys have a senior supervisor contact email that I can reach out to?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by audiorecon
Hi there. I stayed at the Dixon Jan 21-29. I was expecting the 5k nightly bonus but I accidently selected "member rate" for all but the first night. I called the hotel and they gifted me 7k points. I am grateful but still disappointed about the the other nightly bonus points. I am Platinum. I called the platinum desk and they could not do anything more. Any ideas on what else I can do to get the other nightly 5k bonus points? I know it was my mistake but I am bummed. Do you guys have a senior supervisor contact email that I can reach out to?
Accept your error and move on. They have done more than they had too.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Agree.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Agree.
Also agreed.

To give you the 5K, and another 2K, for YOUR mistake, is a VERY nice gesture by the hotel. I'd hold off on that call to a supervisor until you absolutely need to for more serious issues, or when given outstanding service by a particular employee.

There's being a "Platinum" and being a "Princess." Choose wisely.

If it's Marriott Rewards points you're after, particularly 5,000 of them, then it might be worth thinking on whether the "member rate" you selected was significantly less ŁŁŁ than the "member rate + 5k points" rate--- what's the price difference between rates on that night, compared to what 5k points cost as an outright purchase.

YMMV, and depending on rates on the night. On the night I stayed, the difference between a regular member rate and the member rate that included the 5k was a bit less than what I could buy the 5k points for, so the hotel rate was a cheaper path for 5k points. BUT, tonight and tomorrow night, that rate difference is much more than what the 5k points would cost if purchased separately, so the separate points purchase is a better way to get the 5k.

Last edited by skye1; Feb 8, 2019 at 10:47 am
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:45 pm

Doing 4 nights in London in April and am taking the parents. it will be their first time in London while I have been there several times. My parents are getting older so I dont want to walk a ton. I have stayed at Xenia (liked that hotel and area) and Great Northern (too expensive for us this trip) and are now deciding between Dixon, St. Ermins, Xenia, anything else? Looking for a good somewhat non-touristy area that is close to the tube. I am currently Plat but will most likely drop to Gold by the time since i did not re-qualify last year. I think this will meet all of my needs?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Dixon is a five min walk to Tower of London, a ten min walk to London bridge tube station giving you easy access to all of London. I found a great tapas place and other great places to eat in the st Katherine’s dock area

Not done xenia but I’d take Dixon over st ermins any day of the week but I will concede st ermins location is fantastic. I hate st ermins rooms though, enough to make sure I never return

rooms = Dixon wins, probably one of the better marriot hotel room wise in London in terms of size and being brand new

location = st ermins
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Discostu58
Doing 4 nights in London in April and am taking the parents. it will be their first time in London while I have been there several times. My parents are getting older so I dont want to walk a ton. I have stayed at Xenia (liked that hotel and area) and Great Northern (too expensive for us this trip) and are now deciding between Dixon, St. Ermins, Xenia, anything else? Looking for a good somewhat non-touristy area that is close to the tube. I am currently Plat but will most likely drop to Gold by the time since i did not re-qualify last year. I think this will meet all of my needs?
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
Dixon is a five min walk to Tower of London, a ten min walk to London bridge tube station giving you easy access to all of London. I found a great tapas place and other great places to eat in the st Katherine’s dock area

Not done xenia but I’d take Dixon over st ermins any day of the week but I will concede st ermins location is fantastic. I hate st ermins rooms though, enough to make sure I never return

rooms = Dixon wins, probably one of the better marriot hotel room wise in London in terms of size and being brand new

location = st ermins
St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection has small rooms, especially if you're dropping to gold by the time of your stay. I couldn't imagine spending 4 days there with my parents, especially with one bathroom.

On the other hand, are you getting one or two rooms? Points or cash?

What do your parents want to do and see?

You might want to check cash rates at the Marriott Maida Vale and the Marriott Regent's Park.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Feb 17, 2019 at 8:00 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
agree with above, Maida Vale has great rates and just outside zone 1, but still easily accessible to central.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:10 am

First off, I wanted to thank everyone for providing some thoughts on my questions.
We will be staying in two rooms, but room size is somewhat of a concern. I dont want their first trip over there to be skewed because of that, they have been married for like 45 years, but people need some space... I think we will hit some of the highlights, but we may just wander a lot or day trips to Oxford or Cambridge, so somewhat close proximity to the Tube is desired. Looks like the Maida and Regents are quite a bit cheaper. I do like more boutiquey hotels, if I was traveling on my own, no biggie, but I am willing to pay a bit extra for a more unique experience.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Discostu58
First off, I wanted to thank everyone for providing some thoughts on my questions.
We will be staying in two rooms, but room size is somewhat of a concern. I dont want their first trip over there to be skewed because of that, they have been married for like 45 years, but people need some space... I think we will hit some of the highlights, but we may just wander a lot or day trips to Oxford or Cambridge, so somewhat close proximity to the Tube is desired. Looks like the Maida and Regents are quite a bit cheaper. I do like more boutiquey hotels, if I was traveling on my own, no biggie, but I am willing to pay a bit extra for a more unique experience.
If that's the case do the Renaissance St. Pancras, as you could think walk next door to King's Cross and catch the train to Oxbridge.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
St pancreas is great but area isn’t exactly desirable. I say Dixon fits you perfectly. 10-15 min cab to kings cross or tube to London bridge

for elites who are in London for work Dixon gets a solid B+

for tourists who who want to save a bit of money and are ok being in the tower bridge area it’s a solid A property. You are giving up location and not in prime tourist area but you save some cash.

There is a tesco local no more than 2 min from hotel and you can stock up on all the essentials

on the unique side, Dixon fits the bill. They kept the court house appeal, even in the restaurant they left two of the cells and on the ground have a brick outline of each cell to remind you this building used to be a working court house and jail. It has history.

Last edited by Nuhusky; Feb 18, 2019 at 2:46 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
St pancreas is great but area isn’t exactly desirable. I say Dixon fits you perfectly. 10-15 min cab to kings cross or tube to London bridge

for elites who are in London for work Dixon gets a solid B+

for tourists who who want to save a bit of money and are ok being in the tower bridge area it’s a solid A property. You are giving up location and not in prime tourist area but you save some cash.

There is a tesco local no more than 2 min from hotel and you can stock up on all the essentials

on the unique side, Dixon fits the bill. They kept the court house appeal, even in the restaurant they left two of the cells and on the ground have a brick outline of each cell to remind you this building used to be a working court house and jail. It has history.
But the person-in-question said money isn't an issue. Renaissance St. Pancras has a lounge, which The Dixon, Autograph Collection doesn't have. This will surely impress his parents, especially with free drinks at night.

Yes, it's not by the super touristy things in London but the British Museum, British Library and some great neighborhoods aren't that far away from the Renaissance St. Pancras.
DELee likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Hey folks, can we keep THIS thread on the Dixon, the actual topic of the thread? We have a Marriott Bonvoy London (comparison) thread for those who want to discuss the various MAR options in London. Here it is:

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

That way those who are specifically are interested in the Dixon can read this thread, & those who have questions re: multiple properties can get their info in that thread.

Thanks! Cheers.
Nuhusky likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Marriott press release re: The Dixon, although we've already had FTer reports:

Art, Heritage, Culture, Design: Autograph Collection Hotels Introduces The Dixon | Marriott News Center

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.