Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Delta Hotel Whistler [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold

Hi all - wondering if anyone has had any recent stays/experience with the Delta Hotels Whistler? I tried a thorough search but am coming back empty handed.

I'm looking mainly for the following info:

1- general Plat treatment/upgrade chances? We have a standard award room booked but would really like to stay in one of the mini suites with a fireplace. Not sure if a proactive note to the hotel or something would help or if anyone's had experience with that
2- Is this hotel actually a resort? The official hotel name does not indicate resort but when you read the hotel page you see the term mentioned throughout. I assume then, I should not get my hopes up about a free breakfast and late checkout?
3 - anyone have experience with late checkout? If it's officially a resort I'm worried about being able to push for 4pm. We are planning to ski and then have a redeye home from YVR so the plan was to go back to the hotel at 3-3:30 and quickly shower before heading back to Vancouver.

Thanks in advance, and happy holidays!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:30 pm

Has nobody stayed here that can provide any insight into this hotel?
Platinum benefits?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:24 pm

I've stayed a number of times in the past few years as a gold elite. An upgrade is likely, however, it can be full during ski season...
As for benefits, expect none. Breakfast is a definite no, there is no hotel kitchen. The restaurant attached to the hotel is a separate entity and has no affiliation with the hotel.
Nice hotel though.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:00 pm

I stayed there last winter, and can also concur with gxz143, there is no breakfast, no lounge, no connected restaurant. As a Platinum elite, I was able to get a late checkout. And I recall getting an upgrade to a 2 BR...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:58 am

Stayed there last summer as a Gold, got an upgrade to a 1BR suite. No breakfast, received late checkout. Friendly staff, good location, would definitely head back. I managed to get a BRG, however, I believe Delta are now excluded?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Thanks gxz143, CommercialDrive, and icebox425 for your replies! I didn't realize it was a resort until I was talking to the hotel about ski rentals.. since it doesn't say it explicitly in the name I figured I would be getting breakfast, etc. Oh well.

Great to hear as a Plat you did receive an upgrade during winter and late checkout. I'm banking on getting late checkout so we can get 3/4 day of skiing in before we head back to Vancouver for a redeye home. The shower will be game changer before traveling.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Gold
I've got a free night planned here for end of March. Im a Platinum Member. I wanted to stay the full time at the Westin Whistler, but no points availability for Saturday night at the Westin, so I booked a night at Delta. I could book both nights at the Delta, but if Platinums dont receive breakfast than it is probably worth it to me to switch over to the Westin Sunday night and receive free breakfast. the Westin is also closer to the gondolas.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by icebox425
I managed to get a BRG, however, I believe Delta are now excluded?
Incorrect.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Incorrect.
From: https://www.marriott.com.au/hotel-prices/best-rate.mi

Terms & Conditions
BEST RATE GUARANTEE

Find a lower rate and we’ll match it and give you a 25% discount, subject to the following terms and conditions:
  1. The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to the following: Delta Hotels, Protea Hotels®, Ritz-Carlton Montreal, The Ritz London, and Hotel Ritz Madrid.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Delta Whistler = Good Marriott Option but Weak Platinum Treatment

Delta Whistler Village Suites

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

4308 Main St Whistler, BC CA V0N1B4

Delta Whistler = Good Marriott Option but Weak Platinum Treatment (9 Photos)

I had a quick 1-night stay at Delta Whistler sandwiched between a stay at Hilton and another one at Westin which allowed me to compare these three hotels in Whistler.  It was my first stay ever at a Delta hotel brand anywhere so I was not sure what to expect.  I found a BRG on a flexible rate to bring the cost down from 332 CAD to 187 CAD which I was pleased with.  I am surprised by the comments earlier in this thread noting that BRG is not possible with Delta.  It is hard to argue with the footnote from the link posted by @icebox425 which clearly says Delta is excluded, but real life experience tells me otherwise.  

Room

I had booked a 1-bedroom suite and got upgraded to the 1-bedroom suite with mountain view.  The price difference between the two is quite modest ($20 CAD) so not much of a Platinum upgrade.  They could have upgraded me to a 2-bedroom suite which was available at time of check-in but I would not have had much of a use for it so I did not mind.  The suite has a full kitchen, plus a small round dining table.  The living room has a sofa bed along with a working desk right under a very large screen TV and a fireplace.  The furniture is fairly recent and in good condition; the room has a nice home feel to it. The balcony is bigger than at Hilton but it feels like a bunker because of the walls on each side, the ceiling above, plus the vent on the wall.  It was not a nice place to go out to enjoy some sun.  Because the patio door is quite small, similar to Hilton there is not as much natural light reaching the kitchen but the room at Delta being smaller, it is not as much of an issue.  The windows are much larger in the bedroom and the views nicer from there than from the living room.  The bathroom has two doors and you can access it via the kitchen or the bedroom.  The shower is in the bathtub, unlike Westin which has a stand-alone shower.  Otherwise the bathroom is quite nice.  The bedroom is not very large, but it is larger than the tiny bedroom in the Westin suite.  The closet in the kitchen contains a washer and dryer which is convenient for people staying in Whistler for an extended period of time.  Finally, the air conditioning system is central so more modern, less noisy, and overall it works better than at Hilton.  

20180718_162920.jpg20180718_163041.jpg20180718_163054.jpg20180718_163131.jpg20180718_163147.jpg20180718_163159.jpg20180718_163221.jpg20180718_190229.jpg

Gym

I stopped by the fitness gym to check it out but I did not use the equipment.  Everything is fairly new but the gym is small for a hotel that size.  There was only one stationary bike, one elliptical, two treadmills, and some free weights.  The gym is next to a pool which was very fairly busy with several guests. 

20180718_170728.jpg

Dining

Being uneducated about the Delta brand and not having done homework, I did not know about breakfast here and found out that you get nothing at all, which was a bit surprising.  I thought Marriott was rolling out free breakfast to all Platinum guests at most brands including Delta, but this Delta hotel does not seem to be part of it.  At the moment Delta is not on par with Hilton and Westin which both offer free breakfast to elites which is worth $50-70 CAD for a couple.

The Delta hotel is more centrally located in Whistler than Westin and Hilton are.  There are lots of restaurants and bars right outside the hotel.  However Whistler is quite compact so personally I do not see it as a major advantage.  Some people might actually argue the opposite because if you go during the winter it would be a longer walk from Delta to the ski lifts which are much closer to Hilton and Westin than from Delta.

Service

I did not stay at this hotel for very long, and not having a restaurant I did not have much interaction with staff.  However I would note that Delta contacted me by email in advance of my stay, unlike Hilton and Westin, and even responded when I sent them a quick answer.  The manager with whom I exchanged e-mails also came to greet me at check-in.  I was also offered to use their shuttle bus for my transfer to Westin upon check-out which was a nice gesture.  I felt more positive about service at Delta than Hilton. 

Overall

Overall I was pleased by the quality of the room and I rank Delta slightly ahead of Hilton for the room I got at both hotels even though you get more space at Hilton.  However I should note that I did not book at suite at Hilton unlike Delta so it’s not entirely a fair comparison.  If I compare with Westin vs Delta, the room is a bit better at Westin in part due to the bathroom, the balcony, and the view / natural light in the living room. In addition you get free breakfast at Westin but not at Delta so in the future I would be willing to pay a premium price for Westin over Delta.   I would return to Delta if the savings were significant enough but if money is not an issue I would recommend Marriott/Starwood Plats to pick Westin.  Delta needs to up its game in terms of Platinum treatment.  

Delta Whistler = Good Marriott Option but Weak Platinum Treatment

Would you like to write a review on the Delta Whistler Village Suites?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Breakfast rollout begins August 1st I believe?

I wonder if you're supposed to get extra points for no "lounge access" at Delta though?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report w/ pics. Delta Whistler is a resort, which is why you didn't get breakfast. At other Deltas (non-resort) you have access to the lounge or breakfast.

Cheers.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:37 am

I am sorry if it's a stupid question, but I am just getting my feet wet with Marriott hotels. How can we tell if a property is a "resort" or not, therefore no breakfast? I guess sometimes it's clear from the name of the property, but this one is officially called "Delta Hotels Whistler Village Suites".

So it looks like even after August 1st, breakfast will still be a no-go at Delta because it is a resort; the contrast with Hilton and Westin will remain. Westin is a resort too I should note, and they offer a nice breakfast there.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by escape4
I am sorry if it's a stupid question, but I am just getting my feet wet with Marriott hotels. How can we tell if a property is a "resort" or not, therefore no breakfast? I guess sometimes it's clear from the name of the property, but this one is officially called "Delta Hotels Whistler Village Suites".
Figuring out if a property is officially a hotel or resort is easy if you know where to look. Bring up the landing page for the property on Marriott.com.

For a resort, such as Delta Hotels Whistler Village Suites, the top line in your browser window would end with Resort:

MENU Marriott.com > Delta Hotels and Resorts > Whistler > Resort

For a hotel, such as Delta Hotels Detroit Metro Airport, the top line in your browser window would end with Hotel:

MENU Marriott.com > Delta Hotels and Resorts > Romulus > Hotel

Originally Posted by escape4
So it looks like even after August 1st, breakfast will still be a no-go at Delta because it is a resort; the contrast with Hilton and Westin will remain. Westin is a resort too I should note, and they offer a nice breakfast there.
Today, five Marriott Rewards brands (Marriott, Renaissance, JW, Autograph, Delta) provide the lounge/breakfast benefit at hotels, but exclude resorts.

When the new benefits kick in some time in August 2018, these five brands will continue the lounge/breakfast Platinum benefit at hotels -- and will add daily breakfast for Platinum member+1 as a welcome gift OPTION (instead of any other welcome gift) at resorts (essentially using the SPG rules at resorts).
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:04 pm

Thanks @Horace, good tip! I am curious to see what Delta Whistler will come up with post August in terms of breakfast benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.