Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

No Rollover Nights in 2018 and other changes

No Rollover Nights in 2018 and other changes

Old Nov 28, 17, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Titanium, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
I just don't understand the business rationale for eliminating rollover nights. It upsets me, and not just because I'll be affected.

Rollover nights only benefit folks who stay in excess of 75 nights per year. I hit 75 nights in June. The only reason I've continued to stay at Marriott properties (I'm at 130 nights now), is because I know I'm building status for 2019 and beyond. If there was no added benefit beyond 75 nights, I'd move 100% of my stays to Hilton or Kimpton and build status with them.

...Which is what I plan on doing next year, come April or so when I hit 75 again.
Old Nov 28, 17, 10:23 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
From a SPG email received earlier this morning:

ACHIEVE TODAY. ENJOY FOREVER. For our members with SPG Lifetime™ status: We’ll always recognize your lifetime achievement. And starting now, your Starpoints will never expire.

So does that mean MR members with Lifetime Status will also keep their status in the new program?

Regards,

RIP...
Old Nov 28, 17, 10:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by weld3z View Post
Many questions need to be cleared (after 2018)

1- If some one stay at SPG we'll count as Marriott stay ?
2- No more embisador after 100 nights at SPG ?
3-75 nights is the highest or there is 100 for better than platinuim ?
4-Life time elite we'll remain or no ?
There will still be two separate programs in 2018. Starwood-legacy stays will count as SPG nights, Marriott-legacy stays will count as Rewards nights. Elite levels and qualification rules for the combined program in 2019 have not been announced. It's possible that one way to qualify for 2019 status might be through nights added together from both programs, but it's also possible that 2019 status will only be based on status earned under the old rules in either program.

In 2018, the SPG Ambassador and Marriott Rewards Elite Concierge should continue under the old rules. It seems likely that the combined program in 2019 will also have a benefit for very frequent guests along these lines, but nothing has been announced.

Again, there will still be two separate programs in 2018, operating under existing rules. My guess is that the combined program in 2019 will have tiers of Platinum, but nothing has been announced.

Marriott has already said that existing lifetime status will be recognized. Anyone close to lifetime status in either Rewards or SPG appears to have until the end to 2018 to qualify under current rules. What we don't know is what the elite status levels and benefits will be in the combined program. I would not be surprised if there will be tiers within Platinum. In that case, an unanswered question would be whether lifetime Platinum will only provide the lowest level of Platinum, or whether it will be possible to achieve higher lifetime Platinum tiers. Another unanswered question would be whether the combined program will have a lifetime status component that includes nights and points (adjusted) from both programs in its qualification totals.

Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
Will "Buy Back" be available to qualify for the 2018 program year or are they saying there will be no "Buy Back" to qualify for the 2019 program year? Kind of short notice if it means "Buy Back" is not available to qualify for next year (2018).
I agree that the wording regarding Status Buy Back is not as clear as it could be. Status Buy Back is lumped in with Elite Rollover Nights:
2017 is the final year for Elite Rollover Nights and Status Buy Back. This means any 2017 nights earned in excess of Elite requirements will roll over toward 2018 status, but excess nights earned in 2018 will not roll over toward 2019 status.
The way I read this is that Elite Rollover Nights based on 2017 nights and Status Buy Back based on 2017 elite status will both be offered at the beginning of 2018, but not at the beginning of 2019.

Last edited by Horace; Nov 28, 17 at 10:51 am
Old Nov 28, 17, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VisaW View Post
I just don't understand the business rationale for eliminating rollover nights. It upsets me, and not just because I'll be affected.

Rollover nights only benefit folks who stay in excess of 75 nights per year. I hit 75 nights in June. The only reason I've continued to stay at Marriott properties (I'm at 130 nights now), is because I know I'm building status for 2019 and beyond. If there was no added benefit beyond 75 nights, I'd move 100% of my stays to Hilton or Kimpton and build status with them.

...Which is what I plan on doing next year, come April or so when I hit 75 again.
Bingo.

I guess they are banking on the benefits (as a platinum) outweighing the cost of trying to build status elsewhere.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 17, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

I'm betting on an increase on the nights requirement for some status/status benefits and/or a change in the benefit mix and this is Marriott's unstated way of saying "you didn't already qualify for anything in 2019, so there's not as much to complain about you doing those extra nights in a prior year then if we pulled this kind of stunt in 2018 instead".

I don't like it either, but at least this makes some sense if they are making some customer-unfriendly changes to elite status qualification/benefits for the 2019 membership year.
Old Nov 28, 17, 10:48 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Why no rollover ? They want to move us to SPG ??
No reason for that , but I have solution for this stupid new rule after 75 night I we'll try to not stay at Marriott no reason any more .. !
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Why should I stay at Marriott past 75 nights, especially with no defined platinum-premier benefits or status-earning requirements?
IThe only reason I've continued to stay at Marriott properties (I'm at 130 nights now), is because I know I'm building status for 2019 and beyond. If there was no added benefit beyond 75 nights, I'd move 100% of my stays to Hilton or Kimpton and build status with them.

For many of us, it's not about achieving status. It's about using the benefits of status, like extra points and upgrades where given. Stopping at 75 nights and moving to another program means staying in another chain where you might not already have top tier status. Remember, many of us were in the program when there was no rollover. Marriott has that data, so they know the impact of having versus not having rollover.

Many questions need to be cleared (after 2018)

2- No more embisador after 100 nights at SPG ?
3-75 nights is the highest or there is 100 for better than platinuim ?
100 nights always got more at SPG than Marriott. There is a personalized service for top PPs. My guess is that is what will be adopted, where the new program uses profitability to determine who gets the perk rather than a low number of nights.

4-Life time elite we'll remain or no ?
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
From a SPG email received earlier this morning:

ACHIEVE TODAY. ENJOY FOREVER. For our members with SPG Lifetime™ status: We’ll always recognize your lifetime achievement. And starting now, your Starpoints will never expire.

So does that mean MR members with Lifetime Status will also keep their status in the new program?

Regards,

RIP...
Long settled. I've posted the quote from the FAQs several times. Marriott has said that LT status from either program will continue to be recognized. There may be new, additional perks for higher numbers of stays or different benefits parameters, but they've already stated LT status will remain after the merger.
Old Nov 28, 17, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Having multiple tiers of platinum is stupid. They would be better off doing:

25 nights = silver.
50 nights = gold.
75 nights = platinum.
100 nights = diamond.

They could return rollover nights for anyone with 100 actual nights slept in hotels as opposed to those accumulating bonus nights.

I wouldn't be against eliminating rollover nights if they made up for it by giving me a benefit for staying with Marriott above 75 nights. Like Delta's lounges, the lounges at Marriott properties are often overcrowded because there are too many elites -- way too many golds and probably too many platinums. Moreover, there is not enough clarity as to requirements and the supposed benefits of platinum-premier, so why should I keep staying above 75 nights if it is unclear if I will receive platinum-premier? And it isn't as if platinum-premier gets you better benefits at properties.
Old Nov 28, 17, 11:22 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I currently interpret the 3x1 conversion of Starwood points to Marriott points as a good deal to build up Marriott points for a travel package and a family vacation in early 2019.

My question is if there is any reason not to immediately (and continually) move Starpoints to Marriott Points rather than waiting until closer to when I would book the actual trip?

I'm assuming the changes in 2018 (smallish) and 2019 (likely big) will only serve to devalue the conversion (or points overall).

What do you wise folks think?
Old Nov 28, 17, 11:43 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Adding a higher tier at 100 nights seems low. That doesn't even usually get PP right now. Maybe at 125, or just leave it at the current secret revenue amount, but 100 nights?
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Maybe this will trim down on the elite levels a bit and let hotel provide better benefits. One can hope
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:34 pm

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Horace View Post

The way I read this is that Elite Rollover Nights based on 2017 nights and Status Buy Back based on 2017 elite status will both be offered at the beginning of 2018, but not at the beginning of 2019.
I read it the other way (no buy back offered from 2018), as did John Ollia of Loyalty Lobby.

It would be nice to get clarification on this point.
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
Adding a higher tier at 100 nights seems low. That doesn't even usually get PP right now. Maybe at 125, or just leave it at the current secret revenue amount, but 100 nights?
They will need to keep it competitive with other hotel programs. I don't follow others closely...do they have tiers above 75 nights?

I would think smarter to keep Plat at 75 nights, and add benefits to the basic plat level at increments...100, 125.
And I don't see them wanting to reduce the number of Plats. They have a marketing incentive to keep their elite levels high...
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
They will need to keep it competitive with other hotel programs. I don't follow others closely...do they have tiers above 75 nights?

I would think smarter to keep Plat at 75 nights, and add benefits to the basic plat level at increments...100, 125.
And I don't see them wanting to reduce the number of Plats. They have a marketing incentive to keep their elite levels high...
Except you're creating multiple new elite statuses by having new sub-levels of platinum. It's disingenuous and probably very difficult for properties, given that most platinum-premier elite status guests say that properties seldom provide any benefits to them above that of a platinum.
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:52 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
I wonder if rollover nights not counting for 2019 is just for that year only. As in, because the programs are merging, 2018 nights won't count for 2019's "new" program, but excess 2019 nights would count for 2020.

Just curious; no affect on me.
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Except you're creating multiple new elite statuses by having new sub-levels of platinum. It's disingenuous and probably very difficult for properties, given that most platinum-premier elite status guests say that properties seldom provide any benefits to them above that of a platinum.
As a Plat Premier myself, I agree that there is no real tangible benefit for the level.

But there are benefits that could be distributed that are not tied to front-desk recognition. Could be a bump in point earning multiplier, upgrade certificates of some kind, etc. I think SPG has something like that, which may be advantageous to bring over to the combined program.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: