Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Jan 2018 : SPG launches Hertz partnership; ends Avis/Budget

Jan 2018 : SPG launches Hertz partnership; ends Avis/Budget

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 11, 19, 9:44 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Wiki Link
Beginning January 29, 2018 you can earn Starpoints® on Hertz® rentals. Plus, SPG® Platinum members will be eligible for a Hertz status match, which includes car upgrades, bonus Hertz rewards points and more.

All SPG members can now access discounted rates and earn 200 Starpoints for their Hertz rentals. To earn Starpoints, SPG members must add their SPG account number to their car rental reservations for rentals picked up at any location. Or book at spg.com/hertz

The partnership also provides Hertz Elite Status to our most loyal SPG members, which includes car upgrades, expedited rental service and more.
· SPG Platinum members are eligible for Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star® status
· SPG Platinum members with ambassador service are eligible to receive Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® President’s Circle® status and benefits.

Platinum members can register at spg.com/hertzmatch.


The Avis Budget Group & SPG partnership came to an end on December 31, 2017. Reservations booked prior to 11:59pm December 31, 2017 with scheduled vehicle pickup dates through March 30, 2018 will earn Starpoints. New reservations booked after December 31, 2017 will not earn Starpoints.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Nov 28, 17, 6:21 am
  #1  
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: SPG
Posts: 713
Jan 2018 : SPG launches Hertz partnership; ends Avis/Budget

We wanted to provide advance notice that the Avis Budget Group & SPG partnership will be coming to an end on December 31, 2017 and we will be introducing a partnership with Hertz in early 2018.

Members don’t need to take any action; Starpoints earned to date with Avis Budget Group will not be affected. Reservations booked prior to 11:59pm December 31, 2017 with scheduled vehicle pickup dates through March 30, 2018 will earn Starpoints. New reservations booked after December 31, 2017 will not earn Starpoints.

Beginning in early 2018 all members can earn Starpoints on Hertz rentals. Additionally, SPG Platinum members will enjoy the below status:

· SPG Platinum members will be eligible for Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star ® status, which includes car upgrades and more.

· SPG Platinum members with ambassador service will be eligible to receive Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® President’s Circle® status and benefits.

More information to come after the New Year. As always, please let us know if we can help answer any questions.

Ahmed El Tagoury
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker IV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 17, 9:24 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 81,343
This coordinates nicely with the crossover partnership between SPG and DL. DL also partners with Hertz, including giving Hertz status to DL elites. [For instance, DMs are offered comped President's Circle.]
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 17, 9:36 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,051
Given the vast increase in Hertz Presidents Circle members that has been going on and seems likely to continue, I wouldn't expect a whole lot more coming my way as a Hertz Presidents Circle customer. Hopefully the earning of SPG points from Hertz rentals doesn't mean paying Hertz higher rates for the same kind of car as when not earning SPG points.
GUWonder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 17, 9:46 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,370
Sure would've been nice to know getting to 100 nights got us Hertz PC status sooner than 1 month before the end of the year. I stopped chasing Ambassador level because I didn't care for the benefit tier and nights are accounted for already in December.
TravelinSperry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 17, 9:59 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Posts: 31,256
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Given the vast increase in Hertz Presidents Circle members that has been going on and seems likely to continue, I wouldn't expect a whole lot more coming my way as a Hertz Presidents Circle customer. Hopefully the earning of SPG points from Hertz rentals doesn't mean paying Hertz higher rates for the same kind of car as when not earning SPG points.
True and True. Fortunately there is a level above Pres Circle that some of us get. Namely Hertz Platinum. But I will look closely at the rates to see if they are different if I choose to earn Starpoints.

But that brings up the question, can I earn both Hertz points and Starpoints? Or is this independent of how we select to earn points under our Hertz profile?
stimpy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 17, 10:03 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,051
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
Sure would've been nice to know getting to 100 nights got us Hertz PC status sooner than 1 month before the end of the year. I stopped chasing Ambassador level because I didn't care for the benefit tier and nights are accounted for already in December.
There may be other ways to get Hertz PC status without having to spend additional money to do so. I got Hertz PC status for a whole litany of my family and friends and others who held Hilton Gold status by way of credit cards or who knows what else. My bet is you'll get your chance for Hertz PC status sometime next year if paying attention to some of the miles/points blogs and status match opportunities.

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
True and True. Fortunately there is a level above Pres Circle that some of us get. Namely Hertz Platinum. But I will look closely at the rates to see if they are different if I choose to earn Starpoints.

But that brings up the question, can I earn both Hertz points and Starpoints? Or is this independent of how we select to earn points under our Hertz profile?
I hope it works out like it did with getting SPG points for DL flights and for Uber. I didn't have to pay more to DL or to Uber to get those additional SPG points for the crossover type awards.

I like my Hertz points, so I hope the SPG points end up being just complimentary whipped cream for business Hertz would get from me anyway.
GUWonder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 17, 10:09 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Posts: 31,256
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
so I hope the SPG points end up being just complimentary whipped cream for business Hertz would get from me anyway.
Whipped cream. That's a nice and appropriate way of classifying the relatively tiny amount of points we'd get. Meanwhile I've had some great points redemptions with Hertz. Got another one coming up this weekend with a nice Mercedes reserved.
stimpy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 17, 10:30 am
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,118
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
But that brings up the question, can I earn both Hertz points and Starpoints?
I really doubt it. It'll probably be just like any other partner earning - one or the other. Starpoints were simply not previously an option.
mahasamatman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 17, 10:35 am
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,051
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I really doubt it. It'll probably be just like any other partner earning - one or the other. Starpoints were simply not previously an option.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's both in a way.
GUWonder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 17, 1:48 pm
  #10  
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: BNE
Programs: QF WP, VS Gold, IHG RA, A Club Plat.
Posts: 2,024
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
Sure would've been nice to know getting to 100 nights got us Hertz PC status sooner than 1 month before the end of the year. I stopped chasing Ambassador level because I didn't care for the benefit tier and nights are accounted for already in December.
Never fear, Marriott Plat gets PC which of course is what you will have anyway. Another example of the Marriott program offering more benefits at a lower level.
markis10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 17, 3:34 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 81,343
Originally Posted by markis10 View Post
Never fear, Marriott Plat gets PC which of course is what you will have anyway. Another example of the Marriott program offering more benefits at a lower level.
Does Marriott Plat get Hertz President's Circle or just Marriott Plat Premier?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 17, 4:02 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Dubai
Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Does Marriott Plat get Hertz President's Circle or just Marriott Plat Premier?
Just Plat Premier

"Platinum members can register to receive Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star® Status, and Platinum Premier members can register to receive Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® President's Circle® Status"
porkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 17, 6:30 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Marriott/SPG Premier Platinum Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Posts: 178
If the Starpoints earnings are anything like earning airline miles via Hertz, you're better off taking the Hertz Reward points as I find Hertz Rewards to be more valuable for free rentals. I have Presidents Circle via one of my credit cards and except for the extra Reward points, it's nothing to write home about. Hertz has kind of gone down hill the last few years. Go take a look at the Hertz forum here and you'll see what I mean. I stay with Hertz because we get a very good corporate rate but general consensus seems to be that National is much better.
magendim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 17, 7:38 pm
  #14  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Posts: 278
Originally Posted by magendim View Post
If the Starpoints earnings are anything like earning airline miles via Hertz, you're better off taking the Hertz Reward points as I find Hertz Rewards to be more valuable for free rentals. I have Presidents Circle via one of my credit cards and except for the extra Reward points, it's nothing to write home about. Hertz has kind of gone down hill the last few years. Go take a look at the Hertz forum here and you'll see what I mean. I stay with Hertz because we get a very good corporate rate but general consensus seems to be that National is much better.
Agreed, much better selection at National. Tried Hertz at DTW a couple weeks back and all they had in the Ultimate Choice President's Circle were Kia, Hyundai, and Nissan mid-size cars. I guess that's why they rely on these partnerships because their actual product isn't competitive by itself.

CommentatusMaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 18, 2:46 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: IND
Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Posts: 1,294
Any updates on timing for this? And how to get signed up?
azeckel is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread