FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Renaissance Hotel Amsterdam Schiphol Airport [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1876972-renaissance-hotel-amsterdam-schiphol-airport-master-thread.html)

HRSPGPutnik Aug 10, 2019 11:31 am

Just one additional info - the food there was excellent.

margarita girl Aug 10, 2019 11:38 am

Originally Posted by HRSPGPutnik (Post 31401218)
Just one additional info - the food there was excellent.

Lounge or restaurant?

Mordac Aug 10, 2019 11:49 am

Originally Posted by HRSPGPutnik (Post 31401207)
It is very easy to find, when you exit Schiphol Plaza - cross the street twice and you wlll find bus stop numbered C13. For your orientation it is almost under the bridge which connects Schiphol Plaza and hotel Sheraton. But few times (20%) I should wait for the bus - so do not be surprised if the bus is not on time there - just wait. Do not take taxi - it is 30 EUR!

Thank you very much. That's exactly what I looking for!

HRSPGPutnik Aug 10, 2019 11:49 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 31401233)

Lounge or restaurant?

Restaurant

Steve_19 Oct 15, 2019 8:54 am

We stayed at the Renaissance for one night in October before continuing on to Rotterdam.

Hotel meet our expectations. There is shuttle service to the airport, but we missed one of the shuttles and ended up doing a cab for 25 euros. Room was fine if nothing special. Hotel was a bit larger then we thought it would be - the lobby felt like a football field.

There is no lounge so we had breakfast in the restaurant due to our Platinum Elite status. Breakfast had a nice cook to order station. Otherwise pretty standard fare.

Some pictures from our visit: https://www.thetravelingexpats.com/r...chiphol-hotel/

paolo64 Jan 14, 2020 12:53 pm

Very recent stay here. Upgrade ( AMB/LTTE) to suite identical to that pictured in the review by CBellero ( above). Great accommodation.
The shuttle service appears to have improved ( now 50 return trips each day, including at 15 minute intervals during peak times...other times 30 minutes). The stop is easy : out the plaza, over the crossing to the 3rd kerb, turn right past a few B stops, C13 is right there ( unfortunately it’s not signposted as a Renaissance stop). The bus pulls in just a few metres past that C13 sign. The hotel sent a pre-arrival email with those details , and the times. It was pouring with rain/blowing a gale for my late night arrival but still not difficult.
Breakfast hours have changed ( now 0600-1100), addressing the concern in one of the comments above. As to be expected, good bread, cheese, pastries. I didn’t eat the hot dishes, but they looked decent.
I didn’t find the trip downtown onerous ( shuttle plus train: it’s 35-45 minutes depending on the connection)
The building is genuinely ugly, but the interiors are nice.
I prefer it to the Sheraton , even before considering the fact that it’s often not much more than 1/2 the price. The ‘cost’ is the additional time to reach the hotel ( shuttle is 10 minutes) , plus the lack of a lounge.
I was VERY pleasantly surprised ( but decided to ‘give it a go’ based in part on the Travelling Expats review mentioned above).

777 global mile hound May 30, 2023 5:56 pm

3 years since the last review ?
I’m thinking this is far from a popular hotel :eek:

Yerumaa Jun 9, 2023 3:05 pm

Just checked in, as Titanium, and got told breakfast is no longer included “due to a policy change”. They added they are in progress of adding a lounge, but it’s not open yet.

I was too tired to argue, but surely this goes against the Bonvoy T&Cs? Anything you guys would do if in my situation?

frankvb Jun 9, 2023 5:44 pm

Rules seem pretty clear:
Europe:
  • Properties without a lounge or an approved alternative will offer daily restaurant breakfast for the member and a companion.
Compensation $100...

Unfortunately it could be a pain to argue about this - I gave some pushback (Palm Desert hotel Paseo, Autograph collection) on the same problem but they just kept denying the benefit. I will not stay there again. Apparently Marriott corporate won't do anything either when you bring this up.

BTW: I stayed there once, while I was below Platinum, it's a nice hotel but a bit of a pain to get there due to mobility issues. I usually stay at the Hilton Schiphol airport (or Sheraton when going to catch a morning flight).

777 global mile hound Jun 9, 2023 5:45 pm

Marriott property Hall of Shame

Originally Posted by Yerumaa (Post 35318453)
Just checked in, as Titanium, and got told breakfast is no longer included “due to a policy change”. They added they are in progress of adding a lounge, but it’s not open yet.

I was too tired to argue, but surely this goes against the Bonvoy T&Cs? Anything you guys would do if in my situation?

Personally if I was in your shoes and I could easily be as a fellow Tit with Lifetime Status I would be insulted.
Quite frankly its petty and disrespectful.They deserve a scathing review.
If you don't wish to escalate to MOD or GM while in house
then a formal complaint to Marriott Guest relations is in order.
How they rise to the occasion will everything you need to know if your Bonvoy relationship is worth the journey anymore.
Personally I wouldn't accept anything less than 10,000 points as they are near worthless these days with
Bonvoid in house devaluations.
If that doesn't work I would contact the Office of the President @ Marriott

This is some of what happens when you issue credit cards with complimentary Platinum status to anyone with a pulse who will pay an annual fee.
Hotels reduce and eliminate the tangible benefits to turn a larger profit @ the expense of elite recognition to the membership base.
Expect Marriott to get worse each passing year as all they know how to do is raise prices,devalue and reduce benefits.
I continue to stay in just a handful of their properties that can fairly well take care of the guest and seek higher ground in other brands/programs typically.
Let us know how they respond and good luck.Wishing you a satisfying breakfast benefit on a future stay

777 global mile hound Jun 9, 2023 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by frankvb (Post 35318846)
Rules seem pretty clear:
Europe:
  • Properties without a lounge or an approved alternative will offer daily restaurant breakfast for the member and a companion.
Compensation $100...

Unfortunately it could be a pain to argue about this - I gave some pushback (Palm Desert hotel Paseo, Autograph collection) on the same problem but they just kept denying the benefit. I will not stay there again. Apparently Marriott corporate won't do anything either when you bring this up.

Worth a shot to try.Just to pi$$ them off send them a small claims court summons.
Unacceptable to earn a benefit and have it denied
Not the Marriott I grew up with once clearly thought of as a trustworthy company to do business with

JCT001 Jun 9, 2023 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 35318849)
This is some of what happens when you issue credit cards with complimentary Platinum status to anyone with a pulse who will pay an annual fee.

So much this. When everyone has status , no one has status.

Renaissance Schiphol Airport has always been a pain to get to and from with the shuttle. Sheraton Schiphol is a better choice if need to be in the area. Lounge benefits, breakfast in restaurant, plus 1000 points for Plats and above. Along with a room "upgrade". If the cost difference isn't an issue, definitely Sheraton > Renaissance at Schiphol.

Yerumaa Jun 10, 2023 1:24 am

Went to front desk again this morning (different staff) and asked them to confirm whether or not breakfast was included for Elite members. The team member was a bit hesitant but maybe as I came across quite confident about it being included she said she “would make an exception” and added the breakfast to my booking.

While I’m happily eating my omelette now, I’d still avoid this hotel in the future. I got a great rate (€90 VS €200+ at Sheraton) but the initial reception just left a sour taste.

Don’t think I’ll be back, but I’d be curious to hear from anyone staying here in the future about the lounge they are apparently adding.

MaxFlyer Jun 10, 2023 4:35 am

This seems to be a new trend. This is now the third hotel I’ve heard of trying this scam. Marriott need to clamp down or lose business.