FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Langley - Luxury Collection, Iver Heath, United Kingdom [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1876115-langley-luxury-collection-iver-heath-united-kingdom-master-thread.html)

lost_in_translation Nov 6, 2017 11:15 am

The Langley - Luxury Collection, Iver Heath, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Just noticed this one when searching for a hotel room in London on the SPG App and there doesn't appear to be a thread for it currently.

Scheduled for opening in June 2018, will be owned and managed by the same company as The Wellesley - http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...language=en_US

Appears to be this former Palladian mansion, certainly looks like it has potential and c.40 rooms sounds pretty intimate! -
http://www.gibberd.com/projects/langley-park-hotel-spa

canadiantransplant Nov 6, 2017 11:20 am

I also noticed this one this morning and it looks nice. We are staying at the Wellesley in a couple of weeks which also just entered SPG back in January. :)

christianj Nov 6, 2017 11:24 am

Very interesting additon! Here's some more info on the property:

http://www.gibberd.com/projects/langley-park-hotel-spa

EuropeanPete Nov 6, 2017 12:00 pm

I'd love SPG/ Marriott to pull in some more properties of this sort. Just as the Luxury Collection and Design hotels have made a certain type of property available via a chain, this kind of smaller boutique old-school hotel would be a great add.

Oxon Flyer Nov 6, 2017 1:18 pm

Interesting one.

Langley Park is a few miles north west of Heathrow in 'leafy' Buckinghamshire, close to Pinewood Studios (home to James Bond production), and in the vicinity of Stoke Park, a very high-end Hotel, Spa and Golf establishment.

SkiAdcock Sep 11, 2018 11:32 am

Now opening October '18. No category listed yet.

Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ckinghamshire/

"Sitting in a former royal hunting ground and with landscaping originally designed by England’s greatest gardener, Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown, the setting of this grand country manor amidst acres of formal gardens and parklands, including an English Heritage listed Lebanon cedar tree, offers an escape where time slows and natural beauty bounds.The hotel’s boutique selection of 41 exquisite rooms and suites are to be designed by Dennis Irvine Studio with the height of sophistication and refinement in mind.The rooms will be divided across the main house and The Brew House, a Grade II listed 18thcentury outbuilding. The Langley Spa, a world-class wellness centre will feature an indoor and outdoor pool, thermal area and five expansive treatment rooms. A specially designed fitness suite by leading personal trainer and author, Matt Roberts will use technologically advanced systems and equipment."

SkiAdcock Sep 11, 2018 11:37 am

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7c4159146c.jpg

boonkoh Dec 2, 2018 4:14 am

Looks like category 5,but rooms not available yet. Would make a great weekend escape redemption.

hhoope01 Dec 2, 2018 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30192673)

The website is now saying opening will be in February '19.

lost_in_translation Feb 2, 2019 5:16 am

Available for booking from June 2019 - Category 5 or £400+(!) per night for an advance purchase rate.

awardista Apr 6, 2019 3:54 pm

Booked for June

So excited!! Just used my category 5 FNA from the card formerly known as SPG for a stay here during an overnight layover at Heathrow. What a steal!! I'll circle back with a report after.

SkiAdcock Apr 6, 2019 3:57 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk! We look forward to your trip report.

Cheers.

awardista Apr 6, 2019 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30972741)
Welcome to Flyertalk! We look forward to your trip report.

Cheers.

thanks! long time lurker

hockeyinsider Apr 7, 2019 8:46 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30192673)

Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ckinghamshire/

"Sitting in a former royal hunting ground and with landscaping originally designed by England’s greatest gardener, Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown, the setting of this grand country manor amidst acres of formal gardens and parklands, including an English Heritage listed Lebanon cedar tree, offers an escape where time slows and natural beauty bounds.The hotel’s boutique selection of 41 exquisite rooms and suites are to be designed by Dennis Irvine Studio with the height of sophistication and refinement in mind.The rooms will be divided across the main house and The Brew House, a Grade II listed 18thcentury outbuilding. The Langley Spa, a world-class wellness centre will feature an indoor and outdoor pool, thermal area and five expansive treatment rooms. A specially designed fitness suite by leading personal trainer and author, Matt Roberts will use technologically advanced systems and equipment."

You have to love Marriott's copywriters, name-dropping Capability Brown. The keyword is "originally." I'm sure there are no traces of his work today.

And while a Grade II-listed building may sound impressive to Americans -- let alone something dating to the 18th century -- it seems like every building in England has a Grade II listing. The real gems are Grade I.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30192694)

It looks as if everything above the first story is rebuilt, judging from the new-looking stone.

lost_in_translation Apr 29, 2019 1:09 pm

I received an email from this hotel today saying I need to respond within 72 hours to confirm I still want my reservations as they are very busy in their opening month, so you might want to check your emails if you have a reservation here. Weird.

lost_in_translation Apr 29, 2019 3:53 pm

Oh, also they finally uploaded some photos of what the various room categories look like! Main House decor looks much better to me. Judging by the bathroom photos toiletries will be Hermès.

kgkg Apr 29, 2019 7:48 pm

The website says it is category 5. That is not bad.

damon88 May 4, 2019 8:08 am

Very interested in hearing the first reports.

lost_in_translation May 4, 2019 8:45 am

Originally Posted by damon88 (Post 31066288)
Very interested in hearing the first reports.

I’m staying the opening weekend. I know it’s likely to be a disaster but it’s the only weekend I can in June and I really want to try it!

damon88 May 4, 2019 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 31066389)
I’m staying the opening weekend. I know it’s likely to be a disaster but it’s the only weekend I can in June and I really want to try it!

Looking forward to your report- and maybe you can confirm how many of the 41 rooms are Suites

BobbySteel May 5, 2019 2:54 pm

seems totally unbookable now on points??

TGLoyalty May 5, 2019 3:57 pm

I can still see points nights in August etc

myperks May 10, 2019 11:35 am

Might be a mistake but the site is saying now the opening is June 2020.
I have a reservation for mid June 2019.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9cfb650bd.jpeg

myperks May 11, 2019 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 31066389)

any additional communication with the hotel on if the hotel will open in time? (Specifically did the hotel email if they are delaying the opening). They are selling rooms starting June 1st but not sure if that will be pushed back.

lost_in_translation May 12, 2019 1:41 am

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 31091969)

any additional communication with the hotel on if the hotel will open in time? (Specifically did the hotel email if they are delaying the opening). They are selling rooms starting June 1st but not sure if that will be pushed back.

Nothing yet.

Raffles May 12, 2019 7:26 am

I have had emails in the last week reconfirming my booking for early June.

EGW1 May 25, 2019 2:32 am

Thinking of staying 3-5 June, but with grandmother so don’t want any last minute changes. Any updates as to whether the hotel will be open as planned from 1 June?

SkiAdcock May 25, 2019 10:52 am

Originally Posted by EGW1 (Post 31137034)
Thinking of staying 3-5 June, but with grandmother so don’t want any last minute changes. Any updates as to whether the hotel will be open as planned from 1 June?

Call the property directly & get an update. It's close enough to opening time they should be staffed & know if they're going to hit it or not.

Cheers.

BrightlyBob May 25, 2019 11:39 am

I’m booked in here beginning August, late enough after opening to be sure ofa room, and hopefully giving enough time to iron out early issues. A real bargain at Cat5!

myperks May 25, 2019 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 31137780)
Call the property directly & get an update. It's close enough to opening time they should be staffed & know if they're going to hit it or not.

Cheers.

I called and the person answering the phone said its “guaranteed”. Unfortunately I may have to cancel my reservation for 2nd week of June because of schedule conflict.

Raffles May 27, 2019 11:57 am

I am there on the 8th so I can post some feedback after that. We have 2 rooms which means 5% of the whole hotel :-)

kennypanthew May 28, 2019 8:11 am

Has anyone seen any photos of the outdoor pool? There doesn't seem to be any on the Marriott website.

lost_in_translation May 30, 2019 3:42 pm

A review in the Telegraph ahead of the opening this weekend: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...langley-hotel/ / https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...e-the-langley/

SkiAdcock May 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 31154825)

All in all, a thumbs up. Seems the disconnect on some of the scores is not tying into the history of the place (which I can understand).

Cheers.

damon88 May 30, 2019 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 31154973)
All in all, a thumbs up. Seems the disconnect on some of the scores is not tying into the history of the place (which I can understand).

Cheers.

It seems that should be more of a footnote rather than a points deduction. Looking forward to future reviews.

bhrubin May 30, 2019 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 31154973)

Cheers.

Yes, the Telegraph is notorious for wanting its English hotels to be as English as possible. So I wouldn’t be too worried—unless you like the cluttered and busy decor of a place like the Lanesborough. The author’s disdain of a reception desk in the entry foyer, though, showcases the ridiculous bias in the numerical ranking. I think we would rank it higher than this English damsel of likely a certain age.

The building certainly has been Park Hyatt-ized in its “glossy international” decor, and that is a bit disheartening. There is not much sense of place in the interior decor as far as I can tell, but that matters more to some than others.

If one wants a country retreat with a more cosmopolitan, almost urbane, interior, this will do very well. As it’s a mere 30-40 min drive from London, I suspect it will suffice for most!

EuropeanPete May 31, 2019 1:18 am

Only in Southern England do you get hotel reviews which twice use the word “international” as a derogatory term. One rather gets the sense they’d have much rather for the place still to be owned by its ancestral family and staffed exclusively by peasants from the local feudal villages.

MrM2016 May 31, 2019 3:08 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 31156116)
Only in Southern England do you get hotel reviews which twice use the word “international” as a derogatory term. One rather gets the sense they’d have much rather for the place still to be owned by its ancestral family and staffed exclusively by peasants from the local feudal villages.

The Daily Telegraph is the most insular and right wing of the 'serious' (debatable whether it qualifies any longer) newspapers in the UK. Their readership are very unlikely to reflect the FT community or many frequent travellers with significant exposure to the rest of the world.

The hotel looks amazing value as a Cat 5 compared to the cash prices. I cannot imagine this will last long.

I hope this is a sign of things to come. These type of hotels are what the UK gets right. We are crying out for more Luxury Collection and Autograph collection properties, particularly in places like the Cotswolds.

lost_in_translation May 31, 2019 6:51 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 31156116)

Completely different generation to me as well as different outlook on life generally, therefore a negative write up on the decor by the Telegraph is almost a positive as far as I'm concerned. I think what the reviewer wants is a hotel full of antiques that feels like someone's house rather than a hotel - Downton Abbey fantasy, basically. No thanks. The fact they are complimentary about the quality of the finish is very good.

I am staying tomorrow so will try to report back as much as I can. Have a suite in the main house booked.

damon88 May 31, 2019 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 31155722)

damsel of likely a certain age.

Hey! I resemble that remark!