Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Langley - Luxury Collection, Iver Heath, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

The Langley - Luxury Collection, Iver Heath, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Old Jun 4, 19, 11:16 am

Programs: SQ, BA Gold (GGL), Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Above review is very good and covers all the main points. For the rate paid, I wasn’t blown away by the room (£400 plus plus a night for a basic room is just too high in my opinion), but the location and setting is magical, lobby very impressive, gorgeous flower display. My room (in the main house) was nice, but it wasn’t a true junior suite, more of a larger room with small (one sink) bathroom. The decor was “modern luxury”, but not always practical. I think the junior suites are probably the highest category upgrade from a basic room. There was a slightly distracting “hum” noise in the room even with the AC off and a lot of banging of doors at one point, but otherwise peaceful. The brewhouse rooms are in my view not as grand as the main house rooms, but nonetheless tastefully done, and more modern in appearance (sort of barnyard style). As noted, very few rooms appear to have bath tubs, although I did manage to get one! The location is very tranquil for an evening walk, especially around the lake area at sunset, and the spa was exceptionally nice. The bar was ok (albeit a bit slow and mixed things up) but needs a bit of time to mature and build an atmosphere. I would be amazed if the 35,000 point category remains for long (a bargain I think), but for me it didn’t quite hit the mark inside, it was nonetheless a nice experience and something I’m glad I did. The staff were clearly trying their best to impress and resolve any opening niggles, and were very gracious. Good place for a romantic getaway for a couple of nights, and great memories walking around the grounds, but not somewhere I would rush back to.
dgreen12 likes this.

Last edited by EGW1; Jun 4, 19 at 2:00 pm
Old Jun 4, 19, 3:23 pm

We stayed in room 18 on opening night. As said, it’s linked to 17, which is a lounge to form the presidential suite. It can also be joined to 16, and one more room (19, I think).

A picture of room 18 and 17 (the joining lounge) is below. I think 18 is classed as a main house deluxe suite.

We booked a basic room, and were upgraded. I am a platinum Bonvoy member.

Our stay had a fair few ‘configuration’ errors, which will be ironed out in time. Our key cards failed a few times, which the team were quick to rectify. There appeared to be only one wine menu across the bar and restaurant. Outdoor pool was closed, and the gardens / lawn will take time to bed in. Outdoor in the evening could probably use some candles and soft lighting to create more atmosphere.

Despite being opening night, the barman was very knowledgeable (previously the Wellesley), and the food was extraordinary, even if the service was a bit rusty.

We’ll return. It was very pleasant!

dgreen12 and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by Rlw1; Jun 4, 19 at 3:38 pm
Old Jun 4, 19, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Originally Posted by Rlw1 View Post
We stayed in room 18 on opening night. As said, it’s linked to 17, which is a lounge to form the presidential suite. It can also be joined to 16, and one more room (19, I think).

A picture of room 18 and 17 (the joining lounge) is below. I think 18 is classed as a main house deluxe suite.

We booked a basic room, and were upgraded. I am a platinum Bonvoy member.

Our stay had a fair few ‘configuration’ errors, which will be ironed out in time. Our key cards failed a few times, which the team were quick to rectify. There appeared to be only one wine menu across the bar and restaurant. Outdoor pool was closed, and the gardens / lawn will take time to bed in. Outdoor in the evening could probably use some candles and soft lighting to create more atmosphere.

Despite being opening night, the barman was very knowledgeable (previously the Wellesley), and the food was extraordinary, even if the service was a bit rusty.

We’ll return. It was very pleasant!
Cheapest room to best room in the hotel is not a bad upgrade, congrats! No idea what the upgrade priority order is in that case.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 19, 4:25 pm

Programs: SQ, BA Gold (GGL), Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
I was 16, and yes looks like can be linked.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 19, 1:07 pm

Can anyone give an opinion on suitability for a family trip - does the outdoor pool look ‘family friendly’, and enough room in the base rooms for an additional small bed ?

cheers
Old Jun 7, 19, 3:42 am

I wouldn’t describe the hotel as family friendly... it was to my mind more of a couple retreat / spa weekend. I didn’t see any kids during my stay. The outdoor pool isn’t open yet, but is essentially a small-ish pool with patio area overlooking the gardens, with some sun loungers. The area is enclosed by a sort of fence/railing from memory, I might have a picture somewhere. The indoor pool was larger. As to whether an extra bed could fit, yes I think it could.

Last edited by EGW1; Jun 7, 19 at 3:47 am
Old Jun 7, 19, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Eurobonus Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by EGW1 View Post
I wouldn’t describe the hotel as family friendly... it was to my mind more of a couple retreat / spa weekend. I didn’t see any kids during my stay. The outdoor pool isn’t open yet, but is essentially a small-ish pool with patio area overlooking the gardens, with some sun loungers. The area is enclosed by a sort of fence/railing from memory, I might have a picture somewhere. The indoor pool was larger. As to whether an extra bed could fit, yes I think it could.
I think there will definitely be kids this weekend. I am bringing my youngest and I know at least two HFP readers going this weekend with families.
I actually tried to email the hotel to get a late checkout on Sunday but no reply. Rang up today and the person on the desk seemed clueless about benefits for status members. Also, tried to tell me it was fully booked when clearly it is not......

Last edited by waribai; Jun 7, 19 at 8:51 am
Old Jun 7, 19, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Yep, one thing I reckon the first few months are going to see plenty of HFP readers there! Raffles should be on commission!
Old Jun 7, 19, 2:23 pm

There isn't much to do there, or in the surrounding area, so perhaps not fully family friendly.

I think they've missed a trick. Its a beautiful property, but if they had made it cool, Soho farmhouse style, I think there would a long waiting list to get in.
Old Jun 7, 19, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob View Post
Yep, one thing I reckon the first few months are going to see plenty of HFP readers there! Raffles should be on commission!
I will collecting it in person tomorrow :-)

* For clarity I don't get anything!
Old Jun 9, 19, 6:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Really nice property but still very much in launch. I waked from my planned stay due to broken AC/heating and no hot shower. As it’s a small property so no alternative rooms available for my night.

I might give it a chance again in a few months but soured it a little for us.
Old Jun 9, 19, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty View Post
Really nice property but still very much in launch. I waked from my planned stay due to broken AC/heating and no hot shower. As it’s a small property so no alternative rooms available for my night.

I might give it a chance again in a few months but soured it a little for us.
It must have been you they were talking to on the phone at the front desk yesterday afternoon then!
Old Jun 9, 19, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Eurobonus Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I've also never been at a hotel like this one week after opening and I have to say that the staff were all really friendly and pleasant. A couple of things I found weird: It seemed that quite a few of us could not check in till 3pm on the dot. I'm guessing this was because of the high occupancy from the previous night. Fair enough but then where can we hangout? In the bar area was the answer which is quite small so it turned a bit into a train waiting area. They also asked for ID at check in. Luckily I always have my driving licence on me. Otherwise I'm not sure what would have happened!

Dinner was great. Good food and atmosphere as the place was busy. The restaurant though is small so if you hadn't booked you may well be relying on room service. Breakfast was a different matter.The food was still good but

for some reason there was confusion over orders and there were no spoons laid out! Some people were charged full price for breakfast, some of us half price and some were not charged at all even though we were all titanium members and had elected for breakfast as the welcome amenity.
It is a nice property though and they can even supply wellies for you to walk around the grounds. The spa was also lovely and the outdoor pool looked nice too.
SanDiego1K, dgreen12 and damon88 like this.

Last edited by waribai; Jun 9, 19 at 2:48 pm
Old Jun 9, 19, 2:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
It must have been you they were talking to on the phone at the front desk yesterday afternoon then!
It was actually late evening until the shower was noticed then decided to head somewhere else after the issues couldn’t be fixed when returning from dinner. Maybe someone else with the same or similar issue it’s a brand new hotel and according to staff last night was the first time they’d been “full”

Maybe I’ll get a chance to check it out properly over the coming months but I could easily see people spending a couple days there.
Old Jun 9, 19, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a cut and paste from my upcoming review on the situation with kiddy winks:

"Is The Langley good for children?

Not really. They are not banned, but life isn't easy. There is no kids club. The pool hours are VERY restricted - 9am to 10.30am and 3.30pm to 5pm. There is a kids menu in the restaurant, albeit at prices which are more than your average restaurant charges for adult meals.

However, Langley Park IS good for children. There is a playground near the visitor centre and the lake behind the hotel is full of ducks. The outdoor pool at the hotel will presumably not have restrictions on child hours either, when it finally opens. If you are planning to be out of the hotel during the day, you will manage.

Four Seasons Hampshire was like this when it launched. People kept bringing their kids regardless, and eventually it surrendered. A large family pool was built and the formal restaurant demolished and replaced with something more laid back. The Langley may go this way in time.

The bottom line is that there are not many young couples queuing up to pay £400 per night (plus spa, dinner etc) for a weekend away. The people with that sort of money are older and they usually come with children attached."

Search this Thread
Search Engine: