Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Langley - Luxury Collection, Iver Heath, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

The Langley - Luxury Collection, Iver Heath, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Old May 27, 19, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
I am there on the 8th so I can post some feedback after that. We have 2 rooms which means 5% of the whole hotel :-)
damon88, MSPeconomist and bhrubin like this.
Old May 28, 19, 8:11 am

Programs: BA
Has anyone seen any photos of the outdoor pool? There doesn't seem to be any on the Marriott website.
Old May 30, 19, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
A review in the Telegraph ahead of the opening this weekend: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...langley-hotel/ / https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...e-the-langley/
Old May 30, 19, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
All in all, a thumbs up. Seems the disconnect on some of the scores is not tying into the history of the place (which I can understand).

Cheers.
Old May 30, 19, 9:31 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
All in all, a thumbs up. Seems the disconnect on some of the scores is not tying into the history of the place (which I can understand).

Cheers.

It seems that should be more of a footnote rather than a points deduction. Looking forward to future reviews.
Old May 30, 19, 9:44 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post

Cheers.
Yes, the Telegraph is notorious for wanting its English hotels to be as English as possible. So I wouldn’t be too worried—unless you like the cluttered and busy decor of a place like the Lanesborough. The author’s disdain of a reception desk in the entry foyer, though, showcases the ridiculous bias in the numerical ranking. I think we would rank it higher than this English damsel of likely a certain age.

The building certainly has been Park Hyatt-ized in its “glossy international” decor, and that is a bit disheartening. There is not much sense of place in the interior decor as far as I can tell, but that matters more to some than others.

If one wants a country retreat with a more cosmopolitan, almost urbane, interior, this will do very well. As it’s a mere 30-40 min drive from London, I suspect it will suffice for most!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 31, 19, 1:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Only in Southern England do you get hotel reviews which twice use the word “international” as a derogatory term. One rather gets the sense they’d have much rather for the place still to be owned by its ancestral family and staffed exclusively by peasants from the local feudal villages.
damon88 and bhrubin like this.
Old May 31, 19, 3:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
Only in Southern England do you get hotel reviews which twice use the word “international” as a derogatory term. One rather gets the sense they’d have much rather for the place still to be owned by its ancestral family and staffed exclusively by peasants from the local feudal villages.
The Daily Telegraph is the most insular and right wing of the 'serious' (debatable whether it qualifies any longer) newspapers in the UK. Their readership are very unlikely to reflect the FT community or many frequent travellers with significant exposure to the rest of the world.

The hotel looks amazing value as a Cat 5 compared to the cash prices. I cannot imagine this will last long.

I hope this is a sign of things to come. These type of hotels are what the UK gets right. We are crying out for more Luxury Collection and Autograph collection properties, particularly in places like the Cotswolds.
damon88, EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.
Old May 31, 19, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
Completely different generation to me as well as different outlook on life generally, therefore a negative write up on the decor by the Telegraph is almost a positive as far as I'm concerned. I think what the reviewer wants is a hotel full of antiques that feels like someone's house rather than a hotel - Downton Abbey fantasy, basically. No thanks. The fact they are complimentary about the quality of the finish is very good.

I am staying tomorrow so will try to report back as much as I can. Have a suite in the main house booked.
Old May 31, 19, 12:20 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post

damsel of likely a certain age.

Hey! I resemble that remark!
Old May 31, 19, 7:33 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by damon88 View Post
Hey! I resemble that remark!
So does my husband. You and he definitely are not the dowager audience.
Old Jun 2, 19, 5:34 am

Programs: SQ, BA Gold (GGL), Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Staying on 5th so will give some feedback
Old Jun 2, 19, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by EGW1 View Post
Staying on 5th so will give some feedback
Look forward to your trip report!

Cheers.
Old Jun 3, 19, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Quick 5 minute summary, will do a more detailed review when I get chance hopefully this evening.

Beautiful building, yes it is 'glossy international' in style rather than ye olde English country house, but historical features have also been preserved too (some changes clearly can't be made as the main house is largely Grade II* listed and the brew house is also Grade II listed). Guest rooms and most of the public areas work well, I'd say only a couple of rooms feel a bit at risk of having being 'Disney-fied' - namely the Cedar Room (main restaurant) and the Churchill Bar. Both have a slight air of a St. Regis in Asia trying to imitate what they think those rooms should look like. Spa is also beautiful, top of the range everywhere and really quite large. Perfect weather for the opening this weekend which helped to show the hotel in the best light.

This is the first time I've stayed in a hotel on opening night, so difficult to tell how critical to be of the service. Few small issues here and there during my stay, but to say it was the first night the hotel had been fully open I think it went pretty smoothly over all. Hopefully the little issues will all be ironed out.

Of the features described on the website the outdoor pool appears finished but they've had a few pre-opening issues so is not yet available (18m indoor pool is fully functional and very nice, see below). The tennis courts also sadly don't exist yet.

Few teaser photos below

Old Jun 4, 19, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Some more information below, pictures to follow when I have access to my laptop later!

I believe for opening night the hotel was roughly half full from discussing with the staff, sounds like quite a few of those there were booked with points given the current high value of this option. Speculation this might not last given just how good value points bookings are currently. Points bookings are into the classic room in the brew house but the hotel told me several times unprompted they will upgrade from this if they can. Unclear at what level Platinum and above suite upgrades end here, I'm afraid, as I didn't ask. The location of this hotel is within 30-40 minutes of Heathrow in one direction and right on the edge of one of London's wealthiest commuter areas the other way, so I would think there is potential for this hotel to run at very high occupancy once established. Quite a lot of interest from locals on opening day with a good few local groups turning up to eat / drink at the hotel.

The rooms seem to be split roughly half and half between the main house and the brew house. The brew house is made up solely of rooms and all the facilities are inside or attached to the main house. The two are separate buildings with a roughly 200m flat walk across to the brew house, which is nice in summer but probably slightly more annoying in winter. The main house rooms are grander whereas the brew house is more 'cosy' barn style with beams in some rooms and generally lower ceilings. From photos I preferred the main house look but in real life both are very nice, if different. A lot of the furniture was custom made in Italy and it is all very high quality. Toiletries are Hermes (Eau d'orange vert), towels and linens of the quality you'd expect. Air conditioning in the main house was extremely effective and pretty much silent, very impressive given the nature of the building. Extremely good water pressure in the shower, I didn't use the bath. My room had the largest fruit plate I have ever seen in it as well as a huge bouquet of flowers, I assume these don't exist in standard rooms. Free water is provided in Evian glass bottles. Illy coffee machine as well as a kettle in the room with plenty of pods and tea bags. A tablet is provided in the room covering opening times of everything as well as menus / general information. Maybe I've spent too much time in 5 star hotels in Asia but I think I half expected there to be more automation given the glossy finish, don't expect electric curtains or a Toto toilet.

The main house has rooms on the 1st and 2nd floors (in UK speak) and then also a couple of suites which are on the ground floor and seem to be accessed externally. The 1st floor rooms have higher ceilings and are grander, but are directly off the grand central staircase so the 2nd floor rooms will probably be quieter as they are up a second staircase. From my room on the 1st floor you could hear noise from coming/going outside and if someone was being very noisy in reception this could potentially be a disturbance to the 1st floor. The suites here (Junior, Main House, Main House Deluxe in order of size/price) are not true suites with separate rooms other than perhaps the presidential suite, but are instead junior suites. Be aware that only a few rooms (I think limited to some of the suites) have bathtubs if that is an issue for you.The main house appears to have three 'good' sides, one overlooking the grand entrance and two overlooking the grounds, whilst the remaining side will have a view over an internal courtyard so probably to be avoided if possible (this is limited to rooms 11 and 19 on the 1st floor, plus the corner room 18 which also has a view over the grounds).

I had room 13, a Main House Deluxe Suite called Godolphin Suite, which is probably the second best room after the Presidential Suite (the Deputy Manager checking me in described it as 'her favourite'). I think this is the Main House Deluxe Suite shown on the website and benefits from a corner position with windows on both sides overlooking the entrance and the grounds (with a window seat), as well as having a window in the bathroom. It has a connecting door which can join with neighbouring room 14 so that could be a positive or negative depending on your preferences. I also saw the neighbouring suite on the front of the house (room 12) which does not have an external bathroom and felt darker as it is not on the corner. 12 was actually booked but the party no showed, I think this could be a risk with upgrades at this hotel given where it is. I asked to see a room in the brew house and saw what I think was a Brew House Deluxe, it was a surprisingly good size with a great beamed ceiling, I would have been fairly happy with that room also but note the lack of a bathtub. I understand there is also one suite in the brew house but it was booked. The Presidential Suite (room 17) can be transformed into a three-bedroom suite by joining 16 and 18 but was occupied during my stay.
dgreen12, damon88 and bhrubin like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: